Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 04:58 pm
steissd

Ever thought of the possibilty that some "population" besides the Israelian and the USAmerican wants to have their own governments, parliaments. lawmakers, etc choosen by themselves?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 05:20 pm
To Mr. Hinteler: I, surely, do. All the West European countries do not require CIA intervention for solving their internal problems; neither do Canada, Australia and New Zealand. The current situation in Russia makes me think that she does not need it either, she can cope with her terrorists alone if not being bothered by the Danish defenders of Chechen thugs.
But there are some places in the world where democratic elections may bring unpredictable and dangerous results. Let us just remember Algeria.
Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran and N. Korea need some kind of import of civilization from the West. They must undergo some process similar to denazification of Germany in '40s; after this their people will be able to elect mentally sane leaders and live in peace with everybody.
0 Replies

Tantor

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:04 pm
steissd wrote:
I do not think that we should be so happy if the regime in Saudi Arabia is replaced. The population there is so strongly indoctrinated with the most extreme Islamic ideology (Wahhabism) that Iranian regime may be considered a modern and democratic if compared to the possible Riyadh rulers in future. And we must take into consideration that Saudi Arabia possesses the large arsenals of modern weapons, mainly American. It also has billions of dollars earned by oil trade. Unpredictable extremist regime in Saudi Arabia may lead to the world war.
IMHO, if the revolution in the Saudi kingdom is inevitable, I would like CIA to lead it: this will bring to power predictable and favorable regime.[/i][/color]

In the long term, it may be for the best if the Saudi monarchy is overthrown in Arabia and an Islamic state imposed. If Iran is any guide, it should burn itself out after a generation of rule by mullahs. Arabians will be sick of Islamic rule when they are back out in the desert herding camels, remembering the good old days when oil money flowed, everyone had a guaranteed job, and all the work was done by foreigners. Let them fall.

Tantor
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:18 pm
Iran today... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55938-2002Dec14.html
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:28 pm
Tantor, I agree partially. Maybe, some time later they will get fed up with rabid Mullahs, but before it happens, they may drag all the world into a large-scale war.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:30 pm
Or at least start using oil as a weapon again and with current levels of contagion it would not be hard to have a greatly detrimental effect on the economy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:34 pm
blatham, Good article. I've read many articles similar to the Washington Post one in your link for several years. Your link reconfirmed for me that my observation about Iran is pretty much on the mark. Since I've expressed them both on Abuzz and A2K, I won't have to retract anything I've said about Iran - for now. c.i.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:47 pm
Boy, I really really doubt this administration (or the previous, or the next) would welcome an overthrow of the Saudi monarchy. That's in their 'nightmare list', I'm sure, for the reasons that craven and streissd both mention.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 05:59 pm
The FBI released photos and assumed names of five suspected terrorists today. This is weird, because I don't think they've ever done this on a Sunday.

Causes concern that the FBI may suspect them of plotting something for New Year's Eve.

Saw it on Fox News.

That's right
FOX NEWS.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 06:07 pm
Also saw it on CNN.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 06:08 pm
Sometimes, they get it right, as well.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 06:24 pm
These things go out over the Internet and to the 24 hour news channels at the same time. Keep watching and you'll see if six to eight times before the nightly news.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 06:27 pm
LW-
I hope you know I know this.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 06:54 pm
Saw it on City news up in Toronto before flying back here. (My arms are really tired, so no long posts.) What i couldn't get out of the news report is how they entered the country.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 06:56 pm
I was ribbing you, Lash -- seems like you were saying it was unusual to get any real news on FOX? Or what?
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
Saw it on City news up in Toronto before flying back here. (My arms are really tired, so no long posts.) What i couldn't get out of the news report is how they entered the country.

Through the Canadian border. From the pundits' comments, the US is none to happy that they were allowed through. Seems as though it was lax work. I must not know much about border crossings. I thought you had to pass through Canada's, and then ours. Guess not.
Interesting impassioned plea by a Pakastani talking head, calling on US mullahs and the Islamic community in the US to be on the look out for these guys and be pro-active in aiding authorities in apprehending these guys.

The reason I stated rather boldly that I had seen it on Fox is due to a thread I saw a couple of days ago degrading Fox. I thought I should say where I saw the report. I repeated it in bold, as a pseudo-jokily, pre-emptive strike against Fox 'haters'. (We Republicans are known to favor pre-emptive strikes, don'cha know.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:28 pm
i would never degrade fox news, if for no other reason than it ranks as high as reruns of the I Love Lucy Show, My Favorite Martian and Car 54 where are you for entertainment value.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:58 pm
Speak of the devil...
I should be watching the hard morning news shows. Katie Couric's colon is riveting!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 11:41 pm
Let me anticipate the argument you will have to deal with, Lash. Canada is not in the business of protecting US boarders, and rightly so. In fact, the only countries notorious for regulating egress were former Soviet block states and a few others with equally desireable governments.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 11:49 pm
You weaselly rat.
Thank you for the heads up, but I am happily ignorant of border business. The newsies were "Blaming Canada," and of course, somebody has to do it.
Laughing
0 Replies