2010 Oscars! And the a2k Oscar Community Pool! **Win Metaphysical prizes!**

Irishk

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 11:00 am
@tsarstepan,
District 9, The Hurt Locker, Up.

I bought Inglourious Basterds blind (in BD). Recently got A Serious Man, haven't watchet yet.

Pretty sure An Education and Up in the Air aren't out on DVD yet.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 11:05 am
@tsarstepan,
i have district9 and inglourious basterds but haven't watched them yet

will probably see up, the hurt locker, avatar and the lovely bones at some point

the others i have no desire to see
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:06 am
@djjd62,
Just finished watching Inglorious Basterds. Wowzer!

Easily Tarantino's best film. Easily worthy of its Best Picture nominations.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:19 am
@tsarstepan,
I have to admit, I haven't seen many of these movies, so my picks may be risky (although, I wouldn't know it).

Quote:
Best Motion Picture of the Year
District 9 (2009): Peter Jackson, Carolynne Cunningham

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
George Clooney for Up in the Air (2009/I)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side (2009)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Vera Farmiga for Up in the Air (2009/I)

Best Achievement in Directing
Quentin Tarantino for Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Inglourious Basterds (2009): Quentin Tarantino

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Up in the Air (2009/I): Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009): Bruno Delbonnel

Best Achievement in Editing
District 9 (2009): Julian Clarke

Best Achievement in Art Direction
Avatar (2009): Rick Carter, Robert Stromberg, Kim Sinclair

Best Achievement in Costume Design
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009): Monique Prudhomme

Best Achievement in Makeup
Star Trek (2009): Barney Burman, Mindy Hall, Joel Harlow

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Sherlock Holmes (2009): Hans Zimmer

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Crazy Heart (2009): T-Bone Burnett, Ryan Bingham("The Weary Kind")

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009): Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Geoffrey Patterson

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Star Trek (2009): Mark P. Stoeckinger, Alan Rankin

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
Avatar (2009): Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham, Andy Jones

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Up (2009): Pete Docter

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Das weisse Band - Eine deutsche Kindergeschichte (2009)(Germany)

Best Documentary, Features
Food, Inc. (2008): Robert Kenner, Elise Pearlstein
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:35 am
@maporsche,
I haven't watched a single football game this year yet I came in third place at this year's Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ contest!

Well, I haven't seen many of the films either. But anyway, glad to have you aboard maporsche!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
Notch another Best Picture nomination view to my belt. Just finished the excellent ... um... a Jewish everyman story? That would be A Serious Man. Not your typical Ethan Brothers film. The acting is quite solid. I stand by my Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen pick though I now see it as the underdog in this category.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
That leaves me at 6 Best Picture films watched to date.

A Serious Man (2009) - Joel Coen; Ethan Coen
An Education (2009) - Finola Dwyer; Amanda Posey
Avatar (2009) - James Cameron (I); Jon Landau (I)
District 9 (2009) - Peter Jackson (I); Carolynne Cunningham
Inglourious Basterds (2009) - Lawrence Bender
Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (2009) - Lee Daniels (I); Sarah Siegel-Magness; Gary Magness
The Blind Side (2009) - "tbd"
The Hurt Locker (2008) - "tbd"
Up (2009) - Jonas Rivera

Up in the Air (2009/I) - Daniel Dubiecki; Ivan Reitman; Jason Reitman
Still planning to see this one soon! Hopefully this week at the latest.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:24 pm
Less then 10 days and counting!
The annual IMDb Oscar Poll is up again:

Quote:
Pick Your Favorites for This Year's
Academy Awards

Come Sunday, March 7th, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will hand out its golden awards for 2009's best in film. Vote for your picks for this year's OscarsĀ® -- the movies you want to win, as opposed to the ones you think will win -- in our annual Oscar poll and let your voice be heard. (You have to be a registered user.) After selecting your faves in the major categories, you can cast your ballot and see the entire poll results.

http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2010/poll/oscarpoll
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:52 am
I am just working on trying to see the major actor awards.

I saw Invictus and thought it a slight film, too filled with that old "triumph of the human spirit." That said, Morgan Freeman is in the ranks of Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep. Would Morgan ever turn in a bad performance? No.

The fellow in The Hurt Locker was good but his role was . . . still digesting it.

I loved, loved, loved Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart as did the two friends with whom I saw the movie. He was able to act like he was too old to be step-father to the little boy to the extent that when he appeared on the Late Show a few days after I saw the movie, I was relieved to see that he wasn't a codger. Plus, it is so great to see an actor portraying a singer who sings! No dubbing and no coy shots cutting back and forth. Finally, the scene in which Bad Blake realizes he needs help was wonderful.

Have not been able to see A Single Man due to weather. Hope to catch it next week.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:55 am
@plainoldme,
I still haven't caught either Clooney in Up in the Air (this weekend perhaps?) and Jeff Bridges with Crazy Heart.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:00 pm
I have no interest in seeing Avatar as I am still angry that I wasted my evening on Titanic several years ago.

District 9 is a good film. My son (my kids all love sci-fi) convinced me to watch it and I thought the lead was very good despite the fact that this was his first movie.

I also do not think I would enjoy Precious. As a friend said, it is not for everyone.

I thought Meryl Streep was excellent at capturing Julia's eccentric accent but isn't she always good at vocal mannerisms? She impressed me in The Fantastic Mr. Fox, which, incidentally, many people felt was George Clooney's superior performance. I went to see Fox because my kids loved the book and because I thought Clooney's voice, which has a sarcastic edge, made him the perfect Mr. Fox.

If that German (?) actor doesn't win best supporting for Inglorious Basterds, something is seriously wrong.

Speaking of supporting actors, not Matt Damon but the handsome African actor who played the chief of security in Invictus deserves the supporting actor nomination. I hope this opens a wider career for him but that his good looks will not mean he becomes an action star.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:06 pm
I like Clooney for his politics and his sense of humor about himself . . . although he has to be one of the most accident prone actors ever. He always seems to be in a cast or recovering from something.

That said, I do not want him to win best actor. I was upset for him when he won Best Supporting Actor in Syriana the year he should have been one of three winners for Best Screenplay for Good Night, And Good Luck.

I would love to see Jeff Bridges win.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:08 pm
are the oscars over

have i won?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
See Crazy HEart, but, then I have no desire to see Up in the Air, having heard so many negative things about it and having been turned off by the previews.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:12 pm
@djjd62,
Sorry. You were dead last djjd. It seems to be your recent trend in life? Sad

Wink

djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
woo hoo, i'm number (umm how many of us are there)
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:39 pm
@djjd62,
It's about a million users in the poll, give or take 999,996.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:22 pm
@djjd62,
You did! You were kissed by Nicole Kidman and George Clooney full on the mouth after your 27 minute long acceptance speech!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:35 pm
I just got home after seeing "A Single Man" with Colin Firth. A reviewer had called his the performance of a lifetime and he was right. Firth was taut and controlled yet managed to express profound loss and grief. Amazing and indelible.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:42 pm
@plainoldme,
Do you think Colin Firth can pull off the major upset against Bridges and Clooney to win the Best Actor award?