What can women do better than men?

ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:52 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Speak. Women are better public speakers than men.

I don't think this is true at all. All of the great speeches, from "I have a Dream" to the "Gettysburg Address" to the "Cross of Gold" were given by men.

The list of great speakers now is still topped by men. Sure, Sarah Palin and Ann Coulter are women... but there is a big gap between "I have a Dream" and "You betcha' Wink"
aidan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:07 am
@ebrown p,
I do agree with that. Even Maya Angelou irritates me. What female do you think is better than any male, POM?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:09 am
@ebrown p,
Brownie -- Puh-leeze! I am thinking only of women and not female impersonators!

Lincoln and Bryant both spoke at a time when women were still publicly silenced although there were some famous female speakers among the Suffragettes and Abolitionists, those 19th C flowerings of liberalism.

Think of talk shows, public meetings, etc. Women generally present better organized and more fluent statements than the boys do . . . or the female impersonators!
ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:27 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Women generally present better organized and more fluent statements than the boys do

You say that this is true without any evidence. My experience suggests that this is not true at all.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:29 am
@plainoldme,
I have to agree with Parados - this has not been my experience at all and I think you would be hard-pressed to find examples of women who are famous public speakers, especially in comparison to male ones.

Cycloptichorn
Heeven

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Laughing.

I once dated a guy who had violent diarrhea (food poisoning from a meal) and he was vomiting/spattering every five minutes (sorry for mental image here guys) with horrible stomache pains.

I looked at him and said, "now you know what I go through every month"!

A little heartless probably but true.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:52 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think women tend to speak immediately if they have something bothering them so if there is pain, a woman says so. Actually we will talk about every little thing that flits across our brains if we are so inclined to, moreso than men, so the experience of hearing women complaining of pain more often than men is not surprising, we are far more talkative. I think some men tend to ignore and try to hide the fact they are in pain. I will piss and moan about a papercut but my guy will say nothing and then finally tell me he has been in agony for hours with a gash on his shin. He thinks he is being manly by pretending it doesn't hurt.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:23 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
we'll always have writing our name in the snow

As long as your called Sam rather that Archduke Ferdinand the Third and Lord of all he surveys.
spendius

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:31 pm
@spendius,
They can take Lexington Steele and I'll bet Elton John can't and he's an Alpha Male.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I have been thinking this for years and have pointed it out to several people in many situations . . . in which audience were bored to tears by repetitive men.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:36 am
@ebrown p,
I tend to agree.
A woman´s voice does not carry as well as a man´s.
A woman often tend to be sentimental where it does not fit or the opposite.
A woman often tend to play with earrings, necklace or something else during a speach.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:57 am
We understand the difference between peach, salmon, pink, fuchsia, tangerine, hot pink, bubblegum, magenta, aubergine and so on...
Women generally aren't colour blind. Women don't get hemophilia.
I remember the pain study and I believe it was about child birth. The average man would not be able to stand that particular smite from god as well as a women, but how the scientists came to that conclusion is a mystery, seeing as this would be impossible to quantify.
saab

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 03:10 am
@Ceili,
Women can stand pain better than men in the cases it can be compared - which does not include birthpain.
0 Replies