What can women do better than men?

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:45 pm
@Linkat,
Nope. Anne Get Your Gun and the song is by Irving Berlin.
The same musical has a great number called The Girl That I Marry.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:55 pm
@Green Witch,
Ah, I was thinking of "I can do that" - similar type of theme in the song.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:03 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
@djjd62,
Quote:
we'll always have writing our name in the snow

Only until you get old my friend.

We're then allowed to use two hands and just go for big initials.

Joe(JN)Nation
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Lifeisart

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 09:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Adding to Engineer's comment, males have better visual-spatial abilities as they get older because it was used for hunting and other things, but as kids, females are ahead. Women also have a higher absolute threshold for pain than men (by 9x I believe), so we can handle pain better than males. We also manage emotions better, against popular belief, because we have a lower testosterone level (testosterone makes it harder to calm down). And, adding to everyone else's comments, yes, we own you at having babies.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:01 pm
@Lifeisart,
Lifeisart wrote:
Women also have a higher absolute threshold for pain than men (by 9x I believe), so we can handle pain better than males.

As much as I've heard this I've never seen anything that led me to believe it. Anyone know if this is one of those things we "misknow"? Most women I've known has had a lower threshold for pain than most guys I know but I admit to not doing much "absolute threshold" testing and I'm talking about being surprised at them saying things hurt that no guy I know would be hurt by.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:12 pm
My threshold for pain is zero!
dyslexia

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:19 pm
The Natural Superiority of Women
by Ashley Montagu;
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:21 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

My threshold for pain is zero!

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51160

Though this brave soul who had a trial of labour begs to differ:

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/whatsgoodforyou/factsheets/798263/women-have-a-higher-pain-threshold-than-men

My idea of natural childbirth, by the way, would be to wake me when the hairdresser comes.

More research.

No idea of the quality:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/07/050705004113.htm
dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:29 pm
@dlowan,
Interesting bit from the first quote.

Quote:
To measure the differences in pain tolerance between men and women, Fillingim uses something called effect size, which compares the differences between the groups to the differences within each group. On a scale of small, moderate, and large, the pain tolerance difference between men and women is considered moderate. In degrees centigrade that translates to a difference of one degree to a degree and a half.

"So they are not so great that you would say, 'Here comes a women and she will have more pain no matter what else is going on,'" he says. "It is also not so small that they should be ignored for other factors."

Those findings actually prompt as many questions as they answer. For instance, researchers want to know, what role does a woman's menstrual cycle play in her perception of pain? It must play some part, says Sherry Marts, scientific director for the Society for Women's Health Research in Washington, D.C. For example, she says, women know not to get their legs waxed right before their period because it is much more painful than at other times in their cycle.

"Something in the hormonal factor is affecting the perception of the pain," says Marts.

Fillingim agrees, adding that laboratory research suggests that during the premenstrual phase women are more sensitive to most types of painful stimuli than during other phases of their cycle.

"So there are a lot of complicated interactions among different systems of the body rather than just estrogen going up and down," he says.

I know hormonal fluctuations can cause pain, because peri-menopausal and menopausal women can (and I do...or did) suffer from quite intense joint and muscle pain.

Bugger hormones!

But I am tough.

I can get my legs waxed ANYTIME!!!

Of course, I have only faint down on the damn things...

0 Replies

Lifeisart

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Maybe this will clear things up?

http://pain.about.com/od/research/f/men_vs_women.htm
Francis

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:00 pm
@Lifeisart,
One thing that (some) women can do better than men is stating one thing and its opposite..
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:08 pm
@ehBeth,
No I had never met him, but saw him on Youtube and he certainly did not impress me one bit.
Take a look at this man. He can dance. He is fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axUixg0RFaI&feature=related
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:24 pm
@Lifeisart,
Lifeisart wrote:

Not really, I mean I've read this claim before many times. Just haven't ever seen any convincing evidence included and my own personal experiences seems to overwhelmingly contradict it.
squinney

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:52 pm
I wonder how much of your real life observation, Robert, is due to women (especially younger ones) responding to minor pain around men as a way of asserting their need to be cared for. Maybe that falls under your earlier post... seduce?
squinney

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:57 pm
I'm MUCH tougher than Bear.

Somehow, doctors and nurses pick up on this. He gets pain meds just for asking. I have to beg, cry and scream before they casually retrieve them for me.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:26 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:
I wonder how much of your real life observation, Robert, is due to women (especially younger ones) responding to minor pain around men as a way of asserting their need to be cared for. Maybe that falls under your earlier post... seduce?

The article L.I.A linked to briefly mentions the social differences like that, but I think women genuinely have lower thresholds of day-to-day pain and by a significant margin and I don't think it's all attributable to gender roles they feel they must play.

Sure, the conventional wisdom on this mentions that it's an "absolute" threshold, and not this day-to-day stuff but I've still never seen much convincing evidence for that bit of common knowledge and most women strike me as being much much more sensitive to pain.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:12 pm
Women are better at going to the doctor than men. They are better at asking for help, like in seeking directions. They are better at sending the man downstairs to investigate a noise and accepting his death and marrying again. Seen the movie Titanic ? Life goes on for women, after women and children go first.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:18 pm
@squinney,
I had a very painful stomach condition that amazed doctors that I survived. almost 18 months after complaining to a female doctor about considerable pain, I was operated on. The doctor got a please explain letter from the surgeon. Her only response was, didnt it hurt ? I had told her I was in considerable pain. She most likely equated my words with her feelings that would make her say the same thing. Because I didnt moan and drag one leg behind me, my considerable pain was discounted.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 07:55 am
Speak. Women are better public speakers than men.