If you had a giant fine-art portrait of yourself, what would you do with it?

Wally Tea

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:57 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Well......there's always the exception to the rule.........

gawd

http://www.artleague.org/Images%20By%20Month/Images%202007/March-2007-Newsletter/don%27s-painting.jpg

When I gave you that portrait of me, you told me it was very special.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 12:35 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
I have lots of family photos and portraits in my home. I rather like being surrounded by people.
I don't understand why anyone would think a portrait was a creepy subject unless it was dark and gloomy.

A self-portrait? If it's as good as you say, I'd be proud to hang it in my home in whatever room it looked best.
Even over the fireplace mantel.

After all, if someone comes to my house, they should expect to see me! Smile
Your point is very well taken!

David
0 Replies

BigTexN

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 08:39 pm
I've always wanted one of those giant paintings over the fireplace of me sitting in a big throne of a chair, cigar in one hand and my other hand resting on the head of my obedient Black Lab and with my wife standing behind me, looking down at me lovingly with her hand on my shoulder, while my daughter stands on the other side looking pretty as ever.

My wife isn't a big fan of the idea though....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 08:56 pm
@fbaezer,
Nothing there to be embarassed about, that I can see.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:51 am
One bloke in a unit I was in had a life size portrait of his naked wife hanging on the wall. His kids were very confused and guests were either puzzled or embarrassed. We never did understand why he did it. He liked it a lot but it eventually came down by her insistence.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 08:16 am
(Update -- I emailed ex-bf, asking for a scan of the original photo. He replied and said he'd looked for it but couldn't find it and thought he had it stored at his mom's. He said he's happy to scan it and send on to me the next time he visits her, though. He thought he might have slides of the drawing too, he's gonna look.)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:00 pm
Just found this thread. I'd love to see the portrait if you ever get the scan, soz.

I had this very problem last year when my mom died. She commissioned portraits of my sister and me by an artist/friend of hers when we were in college. They were charcoal & pastel and really big - 4x6, I think - and head & shoulders, so yeah, my face was at least 3 times larger than life.

Neither of us wanted to keep our portraits. I couldn't imagine having it in my home. Just not my style. And also, I'm 25-30 lbs lighter now than I was in college, so I just didn't consider it a flattering version of me at all. Now, if it were, that might have been a different story.

My favorite thing about them was how the artist captured our personalities, although he didn't know us well. My sister is looking him right in the eye (probably wishing he'd hurry up.) I'm looking dreamily off in the distance. Pretty typical for both of us.

Mom had her own portrait painted by another friend of hers. It hung above her bed, and she considered it to be spectacular. My brother has it now, but I don't know if he has it on display.
0 Replies