tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 04:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's one reason why you're so cool CJ! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 05:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't mind cabbage rolls, just keep any kinda nasty tomato sauce away.
Don't love 'em, but don't hate 'em - unless and until you add cooked tomatoes.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 05:11 pm
Brocolli - don't eat trees

Cauliflower - um....EWWWWWWW!
Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 05:16 pm
Okra- (my brother once told me they boogers from the nose of The Green Giant), Broccoli makes me gag (husband loves it), and the only cheese I hate, and cannot be in the same room, with is a stinky German semi-soft cheese that I think is called Hans (sold as a palm sized yellowish block). I was given some once and it was so awful I buried it in the backyard. It's memory lives on when I smell rotting chicken poop.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 05:38 pm
@mm25075,
I like and can love broccoli and cauliflower - but best roasted just right.
On okra, I think my mother made it once (eeuwwwwwwww). Was it canned or fresh, I've no idea. I remember my mother's cooking, or overcooking, as something to move away from, but in retrospect she was fairly adventurous in her way. I might have to modify my memory summary, actually have been doing that.

My x business partner-long time friend is a texas girl to start with and a good cook, including french country cooking, and she likes okra. Before I'd give up on it, I'd email and ask her how she cooked it (she told me but I forget). Part of the fun when we were colleagues in different businesses, when I consulted for her, and then when we were business partners, was to go out for a good lunch once in a while. We probably both miss that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Brussel spouts! Satan's gum drops!

Laughing

I like your description, tsar, but I really wonder if it's the way they've been cooked that's put you off? I love em!
msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:11 pm
@hamburgboy,
Quote:
GARLIC !!!!

why does just about any food have to contain garlic ?
and in ever incresing amounts ... ...

garlic breath ... yuk !

Surprised Confused

But live wouldn't be worth living without garlic, hamburger! The more the better, I say! Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:14 pm
@msolga,
Msolga and I finally travel to the eastern part of the US, where we meet up and approach hamburgboy together. Hamburgboy starts to keel over about a block away from us, but then, but then, pulls out his vampire squirt gun (it blows bubbles), and we are repelled by anti garlic forces...
msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Ha ha, osso. Maybe garlic eaters should only mingle with other garlic eaters?

I'm actually very surprised at hamburger's extreme reaction to garlic. I would have put him down as a big fan, being such an avid lover of food & all ...

I'm wracking my brain & can't think of a food I really hate. Thinking, thinking ...
The other day a friend cooked a delicious lunch which we shared. A slow-cooked curry with meat & lots of vegetables. After I finished it & commended her on her cooking, she told me that the meat was kangaroo! I had lunched on our national emblem! Shocked I must say I felt a bit a bit weird about that!
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:43 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
I'm actually very surprised at hamburger's extreme reaction to garlic. I would have put him down as a big fan, being such an avid lover of food & all ...

coming from northern germany , i'm more inclined to fetch a pickled herring out of the jar and eat it on buttered rye Drunk

president bush shows how to pick it from a herring barrel - angela merkel approves !

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/bushfish.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:46 pm
Okra, unless it is breaded and fried.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:49 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
Brussel spouts! Satan's gum drops!

Laughing

I like your description, tsar, but I really wonder if it's the way they've been cooked that's put you off? I love em!

I'm not a fan of anything bitter. The only way I can eat Brussel Sprouts is with a lot of vinegar to mask any remaining caustic flavor.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:50 pm
@hamburgboy,
Fair enough, hamburger. (But you dunno what you're missing! Wink )
Garlic is not popular in northern Germany?

You mentioned pickled herrings. Now that is something I've actually developed an aversion for. I used to love them as a child, they were considered quite a treat in my home. But for some unknown reason, that changed completely over the years. Now I can't face a pickled herring. Something to do with the texture of the flesh, or something ..... Strange.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:52 pm
@hamburgboy,
I love garlic yet I too like pickled herring as well.
msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well that's a very strange state of affairs, tsar. No explaining it! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:57 pm
Oh I just thought of another food I can't come at ... grapefruit. I know lots of people love them, but the extreme tartness leaves me puckered & shuddering. I've tried, just can't come at grapefruit at all.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:59 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Garlic is not popular in northern Germany?

very popular now , but a big NO-NO when i was growing up .
wasn't very popular in canada either when we came here in the mid-50's .
msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:13 pm
@hamburgboy,
Interesting, hamburger. Changing attitudes over time.