Your Style Of Choice

quinn1

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:07 pm
So...if someone was to purchase something for your home are you very definate in your style? Is is amongst the poll attached here? Do you vary? Would you rather a certain style choice not be made but, the ability to make that choice on your own be given? Can you give me ideas/options?

Details:
I know its a horrid thought...Christmas..yikes! However, I have come upon a gift early on here in the season that I couldnt pass up. I have one problem--its something that has to be worked into a home. So, my thought was to get the opinion and a tally perhaps of a general style of the populous and hope it works to benefit my decision making in finalizing this object.
Sorry cant give more details on said object as person for whom this is being sought after for will most likely at least ponder past this topic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,658 • Replies: 14
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:49 pm
Okay..so a few..make the choice my own votes--including my own however, if a gift was received..in my eclectic home I would probably find a way to work it into the mix, and itd probably look just fine. I understand however the need to make something more personal and to get the best use and enjoyment out of it by making the style fit me just right.
So far..looks like it'll be..heres your gift and Ive paid for you to do this with it...however you want that done.
That kinda works..well, I think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 08:05 pm
Christmas christmas ack! Although I'm on this too, I recently broke a favorite plate, which my mom also really liked, and while the edges all broke off it left this nice square piece in the middle with the main design, and I also picked up two chair/ stools FREE by the side of the road a coupla weeks ago, nice, they swivel and the bottom part of it is justa four legged-stool with a level top, and I'm gonna take the chair part off, and make a little table for my mom with the big square piece of the broken plate in the middle and miscellaneous tile pieces I'll make to fit in pottery class and a little side table!

I'm poor so I'm totally in that mode right now. Lemons ---> lemonade et al.

It's rare that someone can purchase (or make) anything for my home. My mom gets it sometimes. Hubby hasn't ever gone wrong, I don't think. (Naugahyde couch-beast was horrible, but left as soon as we could afford an upgrade.) I think I'm really eclectic and anti-matchy-matchy and that would seem to indicate flexibility,butno -- there is a lot of flexibility within my taste, but I have really specific taste.

That prolly doesn't help at all. Confused Good luck!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 08:07 pm
None of the choices really fit. If the second choice was just specific personal taste, that'd be it. But while I have Mission stuff (and love it), I'm not at all religious about sticking to just Mission. (Oh, that worked. Very Happy) Etc.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 08:16 pm
I voted choosing a gift with the home's decor in mind.

Otherwise, don't get something for the home Shocked

I mean, you can make it as easy as really nice towels matching the decor of the downstairs/guest bathroom. But, if it is something like room decor--knickknack, pic, whatever-- you want it to blend in color, motif, ... I will say unless you are very close to the person, and know what they like--a house decor item, to me, is always a no-no. If they don't like it, but like you--they will possibly feel compelled to display it. This may make them hate you.

(kidding)

(sorta)

Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 05:57 am
Mission and primitive Pa German , thats our style of stuff. it goes together and isnt pretentious.
id just as soon not have anybody but us buy for us.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 07:35 am
soz..glad Im not the only one who has been rummaging around for Christmas stuff. I usually start looking around now so that when I do find something I can just get it and be done with it all not going crazy when the time comes. I think it also puts alot of thought and with your items...heart as well into it.
Sofia you know, unless I know someone and their taste really well, or something particular they want I usually wouldnt do it either. I usually do something personal or fun-they work the best.
Yeah, Id rather not have someone buy something Id feel obligated to show in my home but, when thinking about it...any time Ive gotten something from someone its worked so, I guess Im just easy with that. My styles not specific either so, thats probably helpful.
Ive already gotten the item, which is of a very personal nature in the way of 'what it is' and while Id like it to work well in the home and be complete as a gift I guess really it is best just to leave it as is for the person to have it more personalized in the way of style for the home.
ho hum. I guess.
lol
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 07:59 am
hmmmmm - my home is sort of a cross between country and cottage. There is some seriously good furniture in here, and some junk that looks good with the good stuff, and some stuff that's in between. It's very clear to me what will work in here, and it's also very clear to me that not too many other people can figure it out. They tell me they like the look, but then buy things that don't work with it. I've got more than a few 'on display, but hidden pieces'. My eye is too clear on my vision.

Very few modern pieces work here, but I couldn't say not modern, because there are those few just right modern pieces. The main consistencies in the furniture is that there aren't carved decorations on any of the wood (and there is a LOT of wood in here). Whether things are country, cottage, modern, art deco, mission in style/design - they are clean-lined.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 05:57 pm
ehBeth...I actually can understand what you mean when you say others cant figure it out....it takes a certain eye sometimes.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:28 pm
Okay, upon receiving said item today and with the input of all of youse guys....its staying as is for finishing style of choice of recipient.
Thanks!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:09 pm
interesting question. You've been in my house, q, you know I have no specific style. This reminds me of a little glass pumpkin.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 11:09 pm
I think buying for people's homes is hazardous, rather like Sophia said. The people I am around, anyway, have tended to develop idiosyncratic styles; complicating matters, they sometimes change enthusiasms. Gifts for the home are often fairly expensive, and you can be hurling money at something they will only like, um, slightly. This changes if you know people's taste very well.

One of my favorite gifts from my family-at-large, ever, was that my cousin's son's wife stood in a long line (more than two hours, I think) at an italian ceramic special sale to get "aunt osso" a really good bowl... sort of expensive in dollars, but really expensive in time and effort, and it was very directly for me (knowing my favorite things) rather than a run to Crate and Barrel for something to wrap up, although I kinda like C + B too. It was a one time situation, out of the usual family-as-a-whole very low price range, and made them as happy to find for me as I was to get it. It's on my computer desk right now, stuffed with letters and things.

Makes me think now I should take a photo of it and send that to them...

I'd rather give something I KNOW the person cares about, so I am sort of on the look-out all year long.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:20 pm
k...well, you dont have a specific style but I can see how something might not actually fit into your place...same here I guess.
hehehehe...that little glass pumpkin is fantastic...goes well in the periwinkle room BTW

osso..you know, Im on the look out all year as well because well, you just never know what you'll run into...have run into a few things in the last couple of months though.
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:47 pm
I like Traditional or Country Style. What is Mission Style?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:08 pm
http://www.furniturefind.com/furniture/style/mission-furniture.asp
0 Replies