Pedantic.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 01:10 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Andy, with Tryagain you need to read between the lines Wink
Izzie

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yeah, he's into semantics. Just taking the P!

Tryagain... ya wanna try a dance under the pale moonlight!

(oooooooooooh, darn, got an Aussie accent... counts me out!) Wink
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 04:27 pm
Good day Lizzie

THE
READ
LINES

Fear not Sheila, no one from OZ need apply; because there is a standing invitation. It goes without saying, if you want a seat; you better bring a pouf (or at least a hassock).

Due to other commitments I am going to take a break from writing here (There may again be special situations where I may feel the need to step back up to the plate), but for now this is the only way I can focus on saving the world from the Nostradamus 2012 doomsday prediction.

I should gladly say that the circumstances of my leave is much different than last and I must congratulate Jespah for making fundamental changes in the administration and technology of the site which in my view has improved the quality as well as the participation.

It has been a pleasure, honor and great education to be in the company of so many fine people of different views and backgrounds.

However I am looking forward to the day when we all celebrate the new beginning; of an A2K away from intolerance, corruption, injustice and oppression where everyone is respected and treated equally, where no one person, group or religion has supremacy over another.

A free, independent, peaceful, friendly, democratic and secular A2K for ALL in accordance with internationally acknowledged human rights principles. I believe these are fundamental, common and desired principles of all humanity, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, preference and age, which makes our varieties even more fascinating.

I have never said if God wanted us to believe and act the same, she would have created us that way. After all: Earth has no sides.

I French hablo, bonjour amigo...

A pied, en avion, en voiture, avec ou sans bagage, ce fût de belles aventures Merci pour le voyage, oui nous nous reverrons Francis Ce n'est qu'un au revoir.
A bientôt pour d'autres aventures. Ce n'est qu'un au revoir.

May you live well in Frankreich. Auf Wiedersehen.

Izzie

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 04:33 pm
@Tryagain,
Auf Wiedersehen Pet Very Happy
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 04:35 pm
@Tryagain,
Thank you so much for your kind words, Try, mon ami.

They are gladly reciprocated and I hope que ce n'est qu'un au revoir..

May your endeavors be successful..
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 09:36 am
M.A. I could hug you every time I see your photograph as you do so remind me of my dear friend David Richard Solberg. I guess you may know him as; Det. Kenneth "Hutch" Hutchinson.

So hard not to sound punctilious in an age of imprecision. So hard not to sound punctilious when you use the word punctilious even.

However, I still stand by what I said and for historical accuracy I repeat...

Husband E. Kimmel was not Commander-in-chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet for the shortest amount of time. I do believe that dubious distinction fell to Vice Admiral William S. Pye who lasted about two weeks.

For those who did not possess them put on their semblance, and, affecting an intellectual tone, fall into the pedantry which is sure to grow out of the effort to speak above one's altitude?

If I were to tell you that the essayist Sydney Smith defined pedantry as the "ostentatious obtrusion of knowledge" would it make me a pedant? Is pedantry a sort of burr that sticks to you the moment you bring the subject up?

I recall witnessing a furious argument raging on A2K, sick of being corrected on fine points of grammar, one accused the other of being an insufferable pedant. "Ah, yes, pedant," the accused mused, "there's a word with a fascinating etymology." Good joke, I remember thinking. Except that he wasn't making a joke.

If we were to muse upon the etymology of the word pedant together " its first meaning, of course, is schoolmaster " we might wonder why, in general, schoolmasters or schoolmasterly people get such a bad press in our culture.

In our best literature, people who know too much are invariably figures of fun, even when they inhabit a world where people know too little. Think of Mary Bennet, the middle sister in Pride and Prejudice, "a young lady of deep reflection" who alone manages to find some redeeming literary quality in Mr Collins' ingratiating letter of introduction " "the idea of the olive branch perhaps is not wholly new, yet I think it well expressed".

I am seeking opinions on whether to petition for an official A2K dating section. I welcome any informed response or matchmaking suggestions.
All replies will be treated with the upmost derision.

C-J and Gus has already been suggested...Now, Kicky and Gus might work.
Izzie

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 10:17 am
@Tryagain,
Hey, that was quick comeback Razz Yay! Ha!

Nah, Kicky's cleaned up with a new shower curtain, Gus is a little swamped these days...

we'll see who opines a?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 10:23 am
@Tryagain,
Tryagain wrote:

In the Expanded Universe many dark side users are Dark Jedi rather than Sith, mainly because of the Rule of Two.

I actually understand what this means.

Humbling moment.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 11:28 am
@CalamityJane,
I was just following his instructions, CJ. "Call me pendantic," he said. If that's all there's to it, why, I'm glad to oblige.
Tryagain

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 03:31 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Tryagain wrote:

In the Expanded Universe many dark side users are Dark Jedi rather than Sith, mainly because of the Rule of Two.

I actually understand what this means.

Humbling moment.

Wow! That is freekin' amazing. Would you care to explain what the hell it means to the Hoi polloi?

No, it's ok; I'll wait here while you check it out (consult your copy of Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War).

Have you read the book Ferdinand Porsche"Genesis of Genius?
If not, may I suggest you rectify matters without delay. I went to the 2008 Goodwood Festival of Speed in England to buy my copy signed by the author Karl Ludvigsen. Needless to say the German first edition was an immediate sell out.

I am so delighted to see another Porsche aficionado, it never sat well with me that Dys was the orator for this great marque.

May I also take this opportunity to thank YOU the voters for elevating this humble work up there with the likes of:

How can my dog go this long without peeing?
And such classics as:
What the gooses can do, so too can the gander
Is my pet goldfish getting ready to lay eggs?

Do I detect an animal theme going on here. It is indeed a humbling moment!

Hey; do you think M.A. Porsche is the son of M.A. Senior? 1980 was a good year; I wonder if he did oblige! After all, what are the odds of three MA's being on one thread?

Yes, you guessed it; I am one too. No, not in that way; I bought a M.A. (Master of Arts) on line!

EDIT In the few minutes it has taken to write these words on my Etch-A-Sketch, the satanic hand of GOP has moved to deny it's elevation to featured status. 'Woe is me, for I am undone'.
(Isaiah 6:5)

Mz Izzie, one liners is what we do!

Far-called our navies melt away "
On dune and headland sinks the fire "
Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
- Rudyard Kipling

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:00 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Okay Andy, then don't take him too seriously (as his procecding posts show very vividly anyhow) Very Happy
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:26 am
@Tryagain,
Tryagain wrote:

Mz Izzie, one liners is what we do!

We do, indeed Very Happy

After (M)onday and (T)uesday even the week says WTF !!

Dropping in for Feel Good Friday... here... have a crunchie...

http://blogilvy.ie/wp-content/v2-crunchie-boarding-pass-final.jpg

0 Replies