FAVORITE RAY BRADBURY WORK

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 01:07 pm
For me, its always been "Something Wicked This way comes" I was 12 when I read it the first time. I always remembered Mr DArk and his tatoos. (One of the reasons Ive been mostly averse to tatoos like thos i "The Illustrated MAn")

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,027 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 01:33 pm
I really enjoyed the motion picture The Illustrated Man, the book from which it had been made orignally based on one of his short stories. Rod Steiger turned in one of his best performances, especially when he delivered the line "They're not tattoos, they're skin illustrations!"

My favorite book, though, remains The Martian Chronicles.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 01:58 pm
When i took a writing course, they sent copies of some of his work among examples of fine writing. I prefer his shorts to the novels.
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 04:21 pm
@Setanta,
Skeee=in Illeh STRAYSHUNS. (AS only Rod Steiger could deliver)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 04:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
I read his collection of short grizzlies called "The October Country" when I was a kid also. I dont recall many of the stories , just that it scared the **** out of me.
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 05:49 pm
One of the things which amazes me is the number of his works that i'm just now hearing about for the first time. Right now, CBC is playing a radio "dramatization" of one of his stories from the 1950s.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 05:51 pm
OK, the story is "The Zero Hour," and it was from 1950.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:03 pm
I have at least one radio dramatization of his work on cassette. I haven't listened to it in so long, I forgot the title and storyline. I know it is about an old woman, but -
I bet we could find some of his stuff on youtube.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:06 pm
This was pretty cool. Bradbury wrote the story in 1950, and CBC did the radio play in 1980, but they made it sound like a 1950 broadcast.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:09 pm
Here's the story in a 1955 broadcast:

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:55 pm
@Setanta,
JEEEEZUS CHRISTE!! Wheres the rest a the story?? IT stopped at 10 min ow I gotta search it out
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:06 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry, i didn't realize . . .
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:09 pm
@Setanta,
Yeh sure, easy for you to say. Now I gotta stay up past my bedtime and hunt the ending of this story.

He were good at what he did,werent he.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:28 pm
A film version . . .

Part I

Part II

Part III

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:37 pm
@Setanta,
aha!!. Now Ill get me a cuppa and a bowl of strawberries and watch.
Nobody bother me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 06:11 am
@farmerman,
The only one of Bradbury's books I've read is Fahrenheit 451.
And that was a long time ago, so I'm a bit hazy on the details: a future society where it's against the law to own books. Books are dangerous! Full of ideas which might give the people who read them ideas!
Most books have been burnt or destroyed. The object is to remove them all forever.
If I recall correctly, a group of (book lover) subversives are committed to memorizing the entire contents of particular books ... for posterity.
A brave & extremely risky thing to do, with the police forever trying to track them down.
That's about all I can recall, but I do remember enjoying it immensely at the time.

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 06:26 am
@msolga,
It was made into a film.
(excuse the dorky dramatic music!)

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 06:30 am
The Martian Chronicles was the first book i read (maybe 10 or 11) and it holds a special place in my heart, after that i pretty much devoured anything he wrote, Bradbury is probably the reason i like my sci-fi as short stories over full length novels, his anthologies were a staple of my early reading life
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 06:33 am
@farmerman,
SWTWC is probably my second favourite Bradbury work
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 06:40 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I read his collection of short grizzlies called "The October Country" when I was a kid also. I dont recall many of the stories , just that it scared the **** out of me.

The one that stuck out for me, was where there was a temperature that increased the murder rate, too hot and people were lethargic, not hot enough and they didn't get angry enough, but just right and people lost it.

I think it was about two 'angels' or some other type of supernatural creatures who were trying to save the life of a really disagreeable man on a hot day.
0 Replies