Classic Films You Would Love To Witness on the Silver Screen?

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:18 am
@Phoenix32890,
Holy cow, what a remarkable woman.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:45 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

"North by Northwest"

My favorite Hitchcock film! Great call Brandon!
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 01:07 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

"North by Northwest"

My favorite Hitchcock film! Great call Brandon!

It's Hitchcock, Bernard Hermann, and Cary Grant at the peak of their abilities.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 01:06 pm
On Saturday, I saw Hellzapoppin' at the theater. Actually, it was at a bank auditorium that is used on the weekends for showing old movies.

I've mentioned Hellzapoppin' before asa movie that should be out on DVD. It's a 1941 Olsen & Johnson film that is drawn from their Broadway revue of the same name. It's a funny film, although the print shown in the theater was terrible -- bad sound and plenty of dropped frames.

Universal Studios, which presumably still has the rights to this film, has a very disappointing track record regarding the release of old films from its library. It did a good job with its Abbott & Costello films on DVD, but it has not been a leader in terms of restoring and releasing some of its other films. Olsen & Johnson just don't have the kind of popularity today that Abbott & Costello still have, so it's unlikely you'll see any O&J films released any time soon. Until that day, the best we can do is keep our eyes out for those rare opportunities to see these films at the theater.
0 Replies

johntkelly50

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 02:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have never seen "Ben Hur"on the big screen.I've seen it on television many
times,but it would be great to experience it in the full "MGM Camera 65."
But even if DVD doesn't give us the full sensory experience,at least these films
are readily accessable to us,unlike the bad old days when viewings were hit and miss.
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 07:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Come to think of it, I've never seen Casablanca at the cinema, either. Lost count of how many times on video, though. Yes, it'd definitely be good to finally see it as it was meant to be seen.

There are probably heaps of other films in this category, but the first one that came to mind was my all-time favourite melodrama (of the "superior" variety! Smile ), All about Eve. Now that one was definitely meant to be a silver screen experience!

This is one of the scenes I love from Eve ... Bette Davis at her bitchiest & cleverest (but deeply vulnerable underneath Wink ), Marilyn playing Marilyn to perfection, Anne Baxter playing all sugary sweet (while she was plotting, plotting away!) & George Sand at his uppity, patronizing best! What a fabulous cast! What a brilliant script! What a feast! :

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:09 pm
@johntkelly50,
Those big screen epics like Spartacus and Ben Hur were ideal for the big screen and lost a lot in their translation into the size of even so called large screen home theater televisions.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:12 pm
@msolga,
I had a chance to see All About Eve this summer in one of those outdoor film festivals but blew off my chance to see it on the big screen. I am such a fool! Shocked
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh no! You had the chance & you didn't take full advantage, tsar? Shocked
Oh you silly sausage! Smile
But you've seen it many a time on the teev & on video, yes?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:02 am
@msolga,
Erp... non.
msolga

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 12:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Ah well.
Never mind, tsar.
Perhaps it's a geezer's film? Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 04:18 am
@msolga,
I wouldn't consider it a geezer's film. I just have a list of a hundred thousand films I want to see. Time at a human scale is finite and sadly I can only watch one film at a time.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 01:24 am
@tsarstepan,
Came back from a midnight screening of Jaws at the IFC Center.

Absolutely brilliant on the big screen! Plus the sincere screams and gasps (including yours truly Confused ) of my neighbors definitely added to the effect. Knew what was coming and still was startled every time! Shocked
0 Replies

bam52468

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:18 am
@tsarstepan,
i saw the ten commandments at easter. i like to see at the movies
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 04:11 am
@bam52468,
It's one of those massive big screen epics that would translate much better on the silver screen then even a high definition TV screen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 04:49 am

I have seen these at the movies:
Apocalypse Now
Fahrenheit 451
MASH
2001: A Space Odyssey
Ben Hur
Dr Zhivago
Gone With the Wind
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Virgin Spring
High Noon
Good Bad Ugly
Stagecoach
King Kong
Lawrence of Arabia
Midnight Cowboy
Lord of the Flies
My Little Chickadee
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
El Cid

Don't have time to work on my list. May be back.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 04:54 am
Thought I would add
Dr Strangelove
Day the Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 06:11 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Apocalypse Now
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr Zhivago
Good Bad Ugly
Lawrence of Arabia

I highly second seeing these great films on the big screen (and I don't mean a 40 inch high def TV).

I did manage to see 2001 at a midnight screening. Twas AWESOME! Very Happy It's okay to be jealous Edgar. Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 06:16 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

You saw Casablanca on the big screen?! You lucky bastard! http://i46.tinypic.com/2utg1e0.jpg

((grumble grumble)) ((mumble mumble))
((grumble mumble))((mumble grumble))
((((grumble lucky so and so grumble))))
Mad

I'd have thought NYC would have places that do that? I've seen lots of classics on the big screen, cos we have had cinemas that show them.

I saw 2001 as a kid on first release along with some others you mention.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 06:18 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I saw Lawrence of Arabia on a big screen... it wasn't captioned so I missed a lot but visually it was awesome.

I saw that in first release when I was 12. Loved it. I remember when cos it was the day my mum bought me my first bra and it was itchy as hell!

Jeezer, I'm a geezer!
0 Replies