Classic Films You Would Love To Witness on the Silver Screen?

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:01 am
Some movies have to be witnessed on the big screen. Their scope and vision demands the wide expanse that the movie theater sized screen can only provide. Which of your favorite movies would you love to see on the silver screen but haven't because you missed their theatrical release for whatever reason, (you out of the country during the movies theatrical run, you were too young, you were in a coma, or you weren't born yet, etc...)?

I NEED to see ________ [Fill in the blank of the Pre-1980 Film you haven't seen] at the movie theater.

Extra Credit:
What Pre-1980 Film would you like to see in this generation 3D?
Which Pre-1980 Film deserves the Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffing treatment?

Quote:
Riff
http://riff.urbanup.com/4491307
Riff (verb, -riffed, -riffing. Informal): The art and science of making fun of low budget B-Movies by making snide and/or sarcastic comments (regarding the poor quality of the film's dialogue, acting, plot, shoddy film design, etc...) at the movie or television screen while the movie is running in the background. The comedy can be either high brow and esoteric or low brow and of the bodily branded humor.
The comic geniuses of MST3k brutally riffed upon the B-Movie schlock sci-fi/horror film "The Giant Spider Invasion." (1975) I don't know if the director was here to witness them shredding his movie, would he cry with shame or laugh until he peed his pants.

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:23 am
2001: A Space Odyssey might be cool in 3D
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:31 am
@boomerang,
I witnessed 2001 at a midnight screening several years ago. It was worth the sleep deprivation! In 3D? I never thought of the possibilities. Great idea Boomerang!
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:42 am
@boomerang,
boomer- I just saw 2001 in Blu-Ray, and it looked damn good. In 3D it probably would knock your socks off.

How 'bout Dr. Zhivago?

Egads, I remember seeing the "House of Wax" in 3D more years ago than I would want to remember.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:43 am
@tsarstepan,
when i lived in toronto in the 80's i was a member of the Bloor Cinema a nominal annual fee meant you could see movies for $1, the movies were older feature films, foreign films and classics

saw some great stuff, screenings of metropolis with live music playing, a great double bill they'd show on a regular basis was fellini's 8 1/2 and woody's stardust memories, saw dr zhivago, casablanca, tons of great film

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:46 pm
@djjd62,
You saw Casablanca on the big screen?! You lucky bastard! http://i46.tinypic.com/2utg1e0.jpg

((grumble grumble)) ((mumble mumble))
((grumble mumble))((mumble grumble))
((((grumble lucky so and so grumble))))
Mad
sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
I saw Lawrence of Arabia on a big screen... it wasn't captioned so I missed a lot but visually it was awesome.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:04 pm
I have a small list of films I would love see pop up on the big screen:
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Casablanca (1942)
Chinatown (1974)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Fahrenheit 451 (1966)
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. (1966)
La battaglia di Algeri (1966)
MASH (1970)

Rabbit of Seville (1950)
What's Opera, Doc? (1957)

I've already seen _______ at the theater:
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
The Sting (1973)
Z (1969)
djjd62

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I have a small list of films I would love see pop up on the big screen:
Apocalypse Now (1979) *
Casablanca (1942) *
Chinatown (1974) *
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) *
Fahrenheit 451 (1966) *
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. (1966)
La battaglia di Algeri (1966)
MASH (1970) *

Rabbit of Seville (1950)
What's Opera, Doc? (1957)

I've already seen _______ at the theater:
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) *
The Sting (1973) *
Z (1969)

* have seen in a theater
djjd62

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:22 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloor_Cinema

if there was something like this near me now, i'd probably see more movies in a theater
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:25 pm
@djjd62,
Now you're just flaunting it! Razz
djjd62

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
the bloor cinema showed great films, although some i saw when they were released, AN, CEOTK
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:29 pm
@djjd62,
I would love the chance to run a small art house/classic film cinema in an area where they are so dearly lacking like Pittsburgh for example. We have plenty of independent and art house cinemas here in NYC.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:31 pm
i waited on line for 3 hours to see a preview of ET on a sunday a full week before it's release, i bought the film adaption at a book store across the street, and read it while i waited
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:36 pm
@djjd62,
In elementary school, I read the kid's adaptation of ET for the one and only book I had read for the school's short lived book club. I was so upset at the time when I read the author used M and M's instead of Reese's Pieces I never went back to the book club. Razz
djjd62

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
william kotzwinkle wrote the adaption i read, good author, if you get a chance read his novel, the bear went over the mountain, an interesting look at how we perceive the world around us

Arthur Bramhall is known by his colleagues to be a poorly performing teacher of English with little talent as a writer. But Bramhall isolates himself in a forest cabin and manages to write a great novel; he goes off to buy champagne in celebration. Whilst he is away, a bear digs up his manuscript. The bear travels to New York, where he is accepted as a talented author and desirable party guest, while Bramhall's increasing animal-like desperation leads to him being shunned by his former friends. In its use of humour and a character of very limited abilities"the bear"to comment on aspects of modern life, the book resembles stories like Forrest Gump and Being There. It also continues a trend well established in Kotzwinkle's work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 03:56 pm
I'd love to see the ancient, B&W Mid Summer Night's Dream on the big screen.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
I enjoy seeing silent films with live musical accompaniment in the theater, and I've been lucky to have seen quite a few. I'd really like to see some of Chaplin's features, such as The Gold Rush and The Kid, with live musical accompaniment that replaces the mawkishly sentimental scores Chaplin wrote for the reissue of his silent films in the 1930s (Chaplin could always be counted upon to indulge in the mawkishly sentimental, even in his music). But I doubt that will happen anytime soon: Chaplin's estate keeps a pretty tight grip on his films and it doesn't like to see any changes to them.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:08 am
"North by Northwest"
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:46 am
@joefromchicago,
In Tampa, there is a woman who often plays the organ to accompany silent films. Her name is Rosa Rio, and she is 107 years old. She is tiny, but otherwise looks better than most 80 year olds.

She played the organ for many of the radio soap operas of the 30's and 40's. as well as the early silent films.

http://tampa.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A6284

Quote:
Rosa keeps her age a secret. Most likely she's somewhere in her 90s.

She finally "fessed up", when she turned 105.