Stories of cooking adventures: desserts

Tue 12 Jan, 2010 04:22 pm
I'm not a successful dessert maker, generalizing. Perhaps once in a while something has come out swell, but I'm not very patient with them (pass me a simple bowl of ice cream, please). Fancy pantsiest thing I ever made was a hazelnut chocolate mousse and whipped cream filled zuccotto, and that was actually not hard, just looked difficult. Will post recipe after I find it in the cookbook closet. But usually my cakes have slopes of one sort or another (4 percent?) and I never reproduced a neighbor's cake icing of my childhood - food color dyed seven minute frosting on a fabulous angel food cake. Rest in peace, Mrs. H.
On the other hand, I only tried that once - no patience.

Please add your own dessert adventures on this thread.

So, today I start this thread as I am waiting for the caramelized pears that are sitting in the cast iron frying pan cooling before I toss on a sugar dough, tucking in the sides, and baking. That is not all the hard part - though the caramel may be a tad on the toasty side, not burnt - but that I have to do a flip maneuver just after it bakes.

The trouble is that I upped the size of the fry pan, based on what I own, too small or too big, and have to flip the thing while piping hot onto the one big enough ceramic plate, wearing oven mitts of course. I can, yes I can, lift the plate and the 12" cast iron pan together and place on the waiting tile, but will I do it seamlessly?

We'll see. If this works, I'll invest in a 9 - 10" fry pan, as it already looks like it will taste smashingly good - unless it hits the floor.

So, the recipe -

Pastry Dough
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pastry-Dough-108789

and the Tart
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Carmelized-Upside-Down-Pear-Tart-108779

I upped the ingredients to fit my pan. I used odd pears - two bosc, two anjou, two comice of apparent equal ripeness.

Or, next time I might just try a galette...

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,326 • Replies: 10
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, it turned out great. Alas, my camera is not charged. Looks even better than the photo with the article. And the flipping of the pan and big ceramic plate was no big deal at all.
CalamityJane

Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:26 pm
I am not good with desserts and baking. Only recently I started baking and
we were all surprised when the cake turned out good.
ossobuco

Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:30 pm
@ossobuco,
But wait, some film still left in my old ordinary nikon and battery life too. Plus 12 other photos (wonder what those were).

Anyway, it's a go for the dessert-stupid..
ossobuco

Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Now I can admit I was worried about dribbling blazing hot caramel.

Nah.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:39 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJ, let us know about your dessert play.. (I mean that nicely).
0 Replies

roger

Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:18 pm
I once produced a peanut butter cake. I think I did it in a sauce pan using Jiffy mix, and about half cooking half the mix, gently spreading the peanut butter on top, and covering the mass (mess if you prefer) with the other half of the mix. It was really quite good, but not much in the looks department.
ossobuco

Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:28 pm
@roger,
delicious, eh? I have a couple of jars of almond butter on sale. What to do, what to do..

many possibilities, apparently.
ossobuco

Tue 12 Jan, 2010 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Meantime, I'm glad I didn't try this mid summer (with whatever fruit then) -
The house would be ant colonized.
ossobuco

Wed 13 Jan, 2010 05:11 pm
@ossobuco,
So, very delicious... somewhat like tarte tatin.

qualms - the bosc pears did work the best and they were the ones listed in the recipe. If I'd use others like comice or anjou in the future, I'd make the "core" a fat slice and throw it to the compost container (or gnaw on them) and have the remaining slices thus thinner than 1/2 pear -- to match with the timing of the caramelizing and baking. The bosc were not more ripe than the comice or anjou.

- I now wouldn't worry about a 12" skillet/larger plate, but I'd be sure to do as I did this time, use nice longish oven mitts - I didn't have any caramel splashing, but just in case.

Summary - actually quite easy as a recipe, now that I tried it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 16 Aug, 2015 11:42 am
I just noticed your post. I'm glad it turned out well for you!
0 Replies