the values picked up

Adverb

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:35 am
I was reading a short essay about housing prices in some cities but was uncertain about a phrase the writer used to describe the rise of house prices. He said ,and I quote" the values picked up."
Are value and improve collocated with one another?
Hope to get a native speaker's perspective.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:41 am
Unfortunately you do not give any context. This is an error often made by people posting questions about English usage.

The phrase "picked up" can mean "increased".
Adverb

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:47 am
@contrex,
The context is" As far as the next period (1996-2002) is concerned, it is clear that the average house prices shrank only in Tokyo (Japan) by 5 percent. In contrast the values picked up in the remainder of the cities."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:27 am
In this case, then, "picked up" means "increased".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 10:09 am
Is "collocated" some sort of obsessive used term by ESL teachers these days? I managed to get all through grammar school, high school and two universities--including a double major in history and English literature--and never once used the word collocate.

Is this a Chinese thing?
JTT

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:08 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I managed to get all through grammar school, [without learning any grammar] high school and two universities--including a double major in history and English literature--and never once used the word collocate.

That's the funny thing about words, Set. They are used to describe certain events, certain situations and guess what, you haven't encountered all situations.

There are many words that you've never used and never will.

Try engaging your brain before you set your gums to flappin'.
0 Replies

Adverb

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:37 pm
@Setanta,
collocate
(of words and phrases) to often be used together in a way that sounds correct to people who have spoken the language all their lives, but might not be expected from the meaning

by http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

Got it, man?
0 Replies