Laptop screen broken, trying to use VGA to my tv but it only works in safe mode.

Grievy

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:24 pm
I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 but unfortunately the LCD screen has been broken. I plan to replace the laptop once I have the funds but in the meantime was hoping to use a VGA cable to use the laptop on my Samsung TV.

I am currently running it in safe mode with networking which works fine but if I try to run a standard boot or start it into VGA mode the TV displays a picture whilst windows starts then after about 2 seconds it goes blank and says "Mode Unsupported".

I am assuming this is an issue with either the resolution or the refresh rate on the laptop but it is no good making any changes in safe mode as they do not carry over to a normal boot.

Any suggestions?? Is there a way around this or am I stuck with safe mode??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 4,369 • Replies: 1

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:26 pm
@Grievy,
Your laptop should support an external monitor. Borrow someone else's monitor to boot up in standard mode, then get all the settings correct for your TV.
0 Replies