Useless Function Keys sharing space with my laptop's volume buttons?

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2024 07:26 am
I have a new laptop. Not a fan of its keyboard layout. Things like my keyboard volume up and down and the screen brightness keys are sharing space with the useless F_ keys (top line of the keyboard). So, if I want to change the volume or the brightness? I have to copress that button alongside the special FN button on the bottom of the keypad.

Im mostly never going to use the Function buttons for whatever they're assigned as shortcut keys.

Is there a way to reverse this? So I never need to use the FN button when hitting the up/down/mute buttons?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 262 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2024 07:35 am
@tsarstepan,
Anwered my own question.

Quote:
“Making F Keys Work without Fn: Use the Fn Lock feature to use function keys without the Fn Key. Find the Fn Lock key on your keyboard—it may say FnLk or have a lock icon. Hold down the Fn key and press Fn Lock. Release your fingers and use the function keys as normal.” With my keyboard layout? My FN lock was my ESC key. Hold the FN button down than hit the ESC key. My ESC key has a dotted light to indicate the FN Lock is activated. It now works as I needed.

Found answer on another site.

If anyone wants a free red ribbon? Just quote this reply. No questions asked. Wink
Region Philbis
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2024 07:42 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Anwered my own question.

Quote:
“Making F Keys Work without Fn: Use the Fn Lock feature to use function keys without the Fn Key. Find the Fn Lock key on your keyboard—it may say FnLk or have a lock icon. Hold down the Fn key and press Fn Lock. Release your fingers and use the function keys as normal.” With my keyboard layout? My FN lock was my ESC key. Hold the FN button down than hit the ESC key. My ESC key has a dotted light to indicate the FN Lock is activated. It now works as I needed.

Found answer on another site.

If anyone wants a free red ribbon? Just quote this reply. No questions asked. Wink
i use function keys all the time -- for work and play.

that's all i got, glad you found your answer...
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2024 08:08 am
@Region Philbis,
I absolutely hate the f11 key. I occasionally hit it by accident. On my work computer? I don't need NO full screen BS. Wink

You take that back F11 button! ESCAPE ESCAPE ESCAPE!

Enjoy your new red ribbon. Very Happy
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2024 08:32 am
@tsarstepan,

i use F5 (screen refresh) all the time.

F3, F8 & F9 toggle CAD settings on and off.

the others i have no use for, and hate when i hit them accidentally...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Useless Function Keys sharing space with my laptop's volume buttons?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/14/2024 at 03:56:19