Sauce for beef wellington

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:50 pm
Does anyone know of a good sauce that can be made for a beef wellington that does not include any alcohol?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 7,074 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 05:19 pm
I'm not sure if this is helpful however,
Boiling sauces made with wine or other alcohol have no alcoholic content after cooking. The cooking process evaporates the alcohol content.

here are a few more ideas
The sauce for beef wellington is essentially gravy so making the sauce using water instead of wine will achieve a non alcoholic version. I suspect cream could be used as well to richen up the sauce.

Try verjuice, cream, organo and cracked black pepper as a substitute for red wine. (Might be too acidic).

Lassiegirl

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 05:30 pm
@dadpad,
Thanks dadpad, I will try substituting some water. I knew the alcohol would cook out, but didnt want to use any alcohol at all. I might wind up drinking the whole bottle instead of using it in the sauce!!! LOL
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 05:51 pm
@Lassiegirl,
It seems that you have something quite specific in mind that you're trying to replace. What is "your" sauce for beef wellington normally like?

Although it's been quite a few years since I've served Beef Wellington, I've usually served it with some kind of horseradish dip on the side. Best of all (to my mind/tongue), is freshly grated horseradish stirred into whipping cream.

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 07:40 pm
@Lassiegirl,
I would use a bernaise sauce

BERNAISE SAUCE
2 egg yolks
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. firm butter
1 tbsp. minced onion
1 tsp. tarragon leaves
2 tbsp. white wine
In small pan, stir yolks and lemon briskly with wooden spoon. Stir in one half of the butter and all of the onion and tarragon over low heat until melted. Add the rest of the butter. Stir briskly until butter is melted. Be sure butter melts SLOWLY. For Hollandaise Sauce, omit the onion, tarragon, and white wine.
Lassiegirl

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 08:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you ehBeth,
In the past I had used a wine reduction sauce, but really wanted something different. I like the horseradish sauce idea, it sounds yummy!!!
0 Replies

Lassiegirl

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 08:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
Calamity Jane,
Bernaise is one of my favorites, thank you for the idea. I will just eliminate the white wine. Happy New Years!!
farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 09:14 pm
@Lassiegirl,
A New Orleans Bordelaise sauce is what I recall. The NEw Orleans version is heavy on the garlic and beef bone squeezins. Ive had this sauce on Beef Wellington and Ive had Beef Wellington with a spicy horseradish (Aspicy horseradish contained a bit of Wasabi for extra heat and it should be used carefully while the Bordelaise New Orlean can be slavered over the Beef Wellington crust.

Im making myself hungry .

I dont recall how the Bordelaise New Orleans is made, I just recall that it omitted the usual red wine reduction and went totally for the beef bone squeezins (Id recall the Julia Child version of baking veal bones) and building from there.

Besides the Beef Wellington, Bordelaise New Orleans was used for their snail dishes and duck at Andres.
0 Replies

foodGobbler

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 03:08 pm
thanks for this, it's really helpful! Smile
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 05:50 pm
Would you consider a mushroom sauce?
0 Replies