A (hair) do over..

Mame

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 05:27 pm
LOL Chai - I am the same age as you and remember the same looks. My mother made us all get Mia Farrow haircuts when we were little... we all wanted long hair Smile

When my daughter got married in Mexico, she hired a hairdresser (recommended) to come do our hair. I was first and told her I wanted a casual, natural-looking updo with NO hairspray or teasing. I wound up with helmet head and some stupid strands curling around my face and down my neck. That might have suited a 20 yr old 20 yrs ago, but... Only two of the other five women got their hair done after that, and neither of them got what they asked for. One girl looked like she was going to star in a Star Trek movie and my daughter got a helmet head do, too Smile

My daughter's maid of honour took me into the bathroom to fix my 'do, but it was still shitty. I like a simple chignon or a french roll or even the Gibson girl look. I was NOT looking for a helmet head look. Oh, and language wasn't a problem. The maid of honour spoke fluent spanish.

I think they just do what they want. And that's just about as bad as the hairdressers who will do what you want even though your hair isn't suited for it, but don't bother to tell you. Sigh. It's hard getting a good stylist, for sure.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:25 pm
Still Laughing: Helmet Heads, Star Trek Styles! And here all along I thought it was just ME, with some strange inability to communicate what I wanted to the stylist.

I've had this experience, too, where no matter what you tell the woman, your hair ends up looking exactly like HERS.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:26 pm
I will never go to another lady i tell ya .
Not after this. I am sticking with Maria..

Though I did go back to S and she was a might embarrassed to say the least. It was not because of how I said what I needed. I was not rude, was not loud.. I just started my question with quite simply " i would like the color to be thicker, so how long do I have to wait until I can do that so that it does not fry my hair ?"
She offered to do it right there Smile
No question , nothing.

I love the placement of the strands on my head. I really do. I think she picked a wonderful pattern. Just not thick enough

So tomorrow.. in the afternoon , I get my head fixed.
Then I think I am going to have to do a darker foil between the highlights to tone down the blending . I dont want to look like a blond mop.

but yay.
problem possibly solved.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:26 pm
I secretly love Farrah wings..
Mame

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 07:52 pm
@shewolfnm,
not so much a secret now, is it? heh heh Farrah Fawcett!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 07:54 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
I think they just do what they want. And that's just about as bad as the hairdressers who will do what you want even though your hair isn't suited for it, but don't bother to tell you. Sigh. It's hard getting a good stylist, for sure.

ditto for finding a decent simple barber. Five years ago I went all over my new town town before I settled for a shop owned and staffed with Koreans where all they do is clipper cuts with a vacuum hose attached. Now they have gone to hell too, been hiring young locals who cant cut hair but can do good yabber.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:28 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

LOL Chai - I am the same age as you and remember the same looks. My mother made us all get Mia Farrow haircuts when we were little...

oh....my....god......My mother forced me to get a Mia Farrow cut too.

I have a round face, so I looked like a cue ball with brown magic marker on it.

I loved my stylist Sarah, had her for 2 or 3 years.
She suddenly moved back home...something personal I guess, she is really close to her family.

I let another person cut my hair (I came to the salon with this picture clutched in my hand)....
http://www.short-hairstyles.com/zoom/s89.jpg

and was surprised how well she did. I say surprised because she was really distracted. Seemed she'd gone to the doctor and they'd found a cyst on her ovary. She was young and very upset.

I called to set an appointment with her again, and they said "oh, she's in the hospital. She's having her ovaries removed."

I thought "****"

Actually, I felt bad for her, really.

So....I took whoever else was available.
When I got there, Miss Ovary was working that day!
(she didn't have her ovaries removed, the bimbo at the desk interpreted it like that. She sounded like she didn't even realize how serious that was).
However, I'd already made the appt with someone else, who did "okay"

Next time, I'll wait for my my new favorite

Just musing.....I wonder if Dys has these problems with finding someone good to style his do?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:59 pm
Dys doesn't have a style - it's more of a "it grows in whatever way it wants to" look Smile

That's a cute cut, though... if I had short hair, I'd be tempted. Needs frequent attention, though, I'd bet.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 10:09 pm
If I could pull off a short straight cut like that, I would absolutely do that one. Thats cute!
chai2

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 06:29 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

If I could pull off a short straight cut like that, I would absolutely do that one. Thats cute!

you've seen my hair a hundred times. I ask for that cut, but whatever my hair looks like through my ministrations is what I get. I'm looking really shaggy right now, but I'm trying to wait another week so when I go back to Ms. Ovary so she has something to work with.

Why can't you pull off that cut?
You can do you hair straight, and you've got tons of body. I just scrunch it with some leave in conditioner, and spray the roots. You wouldn't even have to spray I bet.

Mame, I just get it cut every couple of months, that's it.

Ok, enough about me.

We need a picture of the repair job.

wandeljw

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 09:57 am
If dyslexia wasn't trying to be macho all the time, I am sure he would have many insights to share on this subject. Can someone "PM" me if dyslexia shows up on this thread?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:04 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Why can't you pull off that cut?

The amount of heat that it would take on a daily basis to keep my hair straight enough to maintain that cut , after about a month, would fry my hair. As it is now I burn my hair once a week and Im paranoid at just that. Any more would be a nightmare.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:15 pm
Hair done.... close enough to well.

Before..
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs179.snc3/20633_258567286752_676671752_4209901_1237614_n.jpg

After

Because she put the layers of color so close together I cant get the real chunky chunks I like.. but it looks better. You can actually SEE the streaks now instead of just being a few hairs poking out like before.
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs199.snc3/20633_266049501752_676671752_4250217_6549698_n.jpg

It is still pretty much... just all over color, especially when i pull it away from my face..

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs179.snc3/20633_266059566752_676671752_4250231_3123943_n.jpg

But, when it just lays down, you can see the color contrast much better.
It would be EVEN more obvious with out the harsh flash... Eh. Sorry. Feeling lazy.
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs179.snc3/20633_266059611752_676671752_4250232_8014600_n.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:36 pm
@shewolfnm,
I knew nobody else would mention it, so I will...

(there something stuck in your nose) Shocked

Laughing

but the hairs look good...
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:38 pm
@shewolfnm,
Eh, it kinda STILL doesn't suit you, my dear, in my silly opinion.

It's not chunks. It's not a statement of your real personality, it's Not Defiant Enough. Know what I mean?

I wore my hair severely short for several years in my mid-40's. When I started growing it out (just for a change), someone told me, "I like it so much better. It's so much softer."

I, of course, replied, "I'm not soft, why should my hair be soft?"

'Nuff said.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 07:00 pm
I know.
I agree.
It is NOT at all what i really want and it does feel and look a bit 'off' to me. but at least it is thicker, and more apparent then before. It looks deliberate now..
but not what I wanted.

So I think what i will do is dye the brown darker...
or just leave it as it is.

For being the wrong style, it still looks good.
I might just count my hair blessings and shut the hell up Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 07:01 pm
@Rockhead,
yeeeeuuuup.

its my super tiny stud

cuz my big one is gone.. Sad
dadpad

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 07:39 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

its my super tiny stud
cuz my big one is gone.. Sad

Am not!
0 Replies

Melee Antoinette

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 08:56 pm
@Ceili,
this is very true. your hair is just an expierment to them. they get to mess around with your hair and make money doing it. i have been to a few very expensive hair dressers that will do anything you want but those are difficult to find and generally the most expensive.
0 Replies

Blondsabine

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 02:47 am
@shewolfnm,
I do like your highlights, but you are right they are not chunky. I would go to another hairdresser if you are not satisfy. But this way it looks more naturally. I just got myself red brown lowlights in my blond hair and they are also thin, i think it looks better and blends in better . I wouldn't like chunky. Or just add more thin Highlights.
0 Replies