@#$%^ Damn Virus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:20 am
Either my babysitter (likely) or the children (possible) downloaded a new virus (rarype32.exe) and now I have to spend time and effort cleaning it up. Since this a new and highly resistant virus, it means more time and effort. All my systems are up to date and I did a full backup last month, so it's just a headache, but I really hate the people who make these things.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,410 • Replies: 21

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:26 am
@engineer,
Concur.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:27 am
@engineer,
And congrats on the backup. You saved me a rant.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:30 am
@engineer,
Them damn Russkies
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:39 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Either my babysitter (likely) or the children (possible) downloaded a new virus (rarype32.exe) and now I have to spend time and effort cleaning it up. Since this a new and highly resistant virus, it means more time and effort. All my systems are up to date and I did a full backup last month, so it's just a headache, but I really hate the people who make these things.
What possesses them to perpetrate such perversity and depravity ?? Thay must be liberals and politically correct.

David
DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:46 am
@engineer,
I would also recommend Sandboxie in the future, in order to prevent these situations: http://www.sandboxie.com/
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Channeling H2O_Man this morning, Dave?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 09:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What possesses them to perpetrate such perversity and depravity ?? Thay must be liberals and politically correct.

Actually, they are the complete extreme of anarchists. They are using their talents and resources to obtain the maximum benefit for themselves with the least amount of work and without regard to the rights of others.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:57 am
@engineer,
If you running XP or Vista and have a computer kids and others used maybe going even beyond sandboxie and installing microsoft steady state might be wise.

With that any change to the system is wipe out on reboot unless you tell it otherwise. The program is free.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Windows SteadyState?

Share computers, not headaches
What state is your shared computer in at the end of the day?

Hard disk filled with downloaded files?

Strange options configured?

Programs installed that you don't want?

System infected with viruses and spyware?

Computer bogged down for unknown reasons?

Windows SteadyState, successor to the Shared Computer Toolkit, is designed to make life easier for people who set up and maintain shared computers.

An easy way to manage multiple users
You can manage whole groups of users as single user accounts. The new Windows SteadyState console makes it easier than ever to create and modify user profiles.

A locked-down platform for stable shared computing
Not every computer user should have access to every software capability. Your system can be more stable and consistent when you limit user access to control panel functions, network resources, and other sensitive areas.

Set it and forget it
Once you have everything set up the way you want it, you can share the computer and rest easy. Any changes a user might make to the configuration or hard disk can be undone by simply restarting the machine.

Save Time, Save Money
No extra cost.
Your genuine Windows XP or Windows Vista license is all you need.

No need for a server.
Windows SteadyState runs on workgroups or standalone computers.

No IT professional required.
Windows SteadyState is designed to be easy to install and use.

No more wasted time.
Windows reinstallations are essentially a thing of the past. Now you can restart the computer to its original state.

No reason to wait.
Download Windows SteadyState now!

Get more from SteadyState

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See how easy it is
Watch a quick demonstration of what SteadyState can do.

Download now
There is no extra cost with your genuine Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Get help and support
Experts and answers to help solve your problems.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:14 am
There is also a nice if not free program call "process guard" that can be set to block any new program or process from running unless you ok it with a password.

It also keep programs from placing keyboard hooks unless you ok that program to do so.

Any program that had been change will not also be allow to run unless you ok it also.

Ofter memory protection and root protection ETC.

I been very happy with it for over a year and it run somewhere around 30 dollars.

I love that it ask me if the new version of my AV or Microsoft malware detector should be allow to run for example.

Nothing run unless I ok it.
0 Replies

drillersmum au

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:33 pm
@engineer,
I'm not sure if this will help, but recently I was told about a "System Restore" when this sort of problem (virus) hit a friend of mine and I wanted to help but couldn't. Didn't know enough so I started asking around. Seems it is not difficult to do and it certainly can't hurt. It just takes you back to before you got bitten. BUT I was told it all depends on how bad the virus is. Maybe I am just whistling in the wind.
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 05:00 am
@drillersmum au,
A great many viruses either stop you from doing a system restore or are able to survive a system restore in one manner or another
engineer

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 09:58 am
@BillRM,
This particular virus shuts down my virus protection, stops my firewall from loading and stops any system restore. I booted in safe mode, ran the virus scan and removed all the viruses only to have them reinstall when I started normally. I just restored the operating system and am now restoring files from my November backup. I'm not sure if that will restore my XP service packs and installed software. My ideal state would be that the restore from backup gets me to where I was last month, but I'm not sure that is going to happen.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 10:24 am
@engineer,
Depends on whether you backed up your entire system along with the "system state" (registry), or if you only backed up your data files.

If you did a full system backup, then you'll be back to where you were in November. If you only backed up your data files, then you'll have to reinstall all of your software and system updates.
engineer

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 01:23 pm
@DrewDad,
I may be hosed then. I used the standard backup utility in Windows and when I restore, it looks like it just restores files. How do I know for certain? I did the full file restore and some of my programs are there, but they are not installed, so some run and some don't.
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 02:00 pm
@engineer,
You need to set NTback to save the register and just be on the old safe side I normally save the whole register out with regedit when I do my rare whole system backup.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 07:07 pm
@engineer,
When you use NTBackup, it's really easy to just select "my documents".

When you run the wizard, you're given the options "backup up everything", "backup up selected files", and "backup up system state". If you have the space, it's best to select "backup up everything".

When you restore after a system recovery, make sure you choose to restore everything.
engineer

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 09:21 pm
@DrewDad,
Well, everything did not go as planned. My C: drive was restored from backup, but something is slightly off. I had to transfer all my documents from C:\Documents and Settings\engineer\My Documents to C:\Documents and Settings\engineer.LAPTOP\My Documents and while all my program files were restored, the something's up in the registry so that only some of them are usable. Most of the big programs like MS Office and I tunes won't run saying they have to be reinstalled. Anyone know of a simple way around this before I spend all day fishing out disks from my desk?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 07:57 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Anyone know of a simple way around this before I spend all day fishing out disks from my desk?

Sorry, no.
engineer

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 09:41 am
@DrewDad,
Ah well. Maybe I'll go ahead and try Windows 7 if I have to reinstall everything anyway.