Setting up a used Rainsoft Gold Series - Cycle times

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 07:48 pm
I purchased a lightly used 4-yr old Rainsoft gold series water softener to replace our old Amazon unit. I am curious as to the normal length of time for each cycle of regeneration. It is currently running through its first regen cycle and during the Brine/Rinse (cycle 4) the timer read 50 minutes and after 10 minutes the drain line was already overflowing (note that we had a full day of rain yesterday and the ground is pretty well saturated). Therefore, I am unsure if this is a normal amount of time for the system to go through this cycle and the ground is just too full of water or if we need to work more on adjusting the programming? Thanks to H2Oman for the programming manuals.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,973 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Jennlynn

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 02:22 pm
@Jennlynn,
From checking out other posts I found that there is a vacuum drawing from the brine tank during cycle 4 from 15 psi to 28 psi. How do I check the psi and adjust it if needed? Additionally, does the Gold series allow untreated water to bypass the unit for usage when the system is in regen (my old Amazon unit would send out salty water so, I wondered if the Gold was smarter)? Thanks for any help you can offer!
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 03:51 pm
@Jennlynn,
The Gold series is a Fleck 5000 ProFlow that has been bastardized by RainSoft.
This PDF may help you.
Jennlynn

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:18 am
@H2O MAN,
Can you tell me if the Gold Series requires a battery that I can change out ( I thought I notice one behind the board)? We had another power outage yesterday that kicked the rainsoft into regen over and over again until I unplugged it. I tried to step it through to the end of the regen cycle but then it would start over again. Any advice?
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 09:57 am
@Jennlynn,
50 minutes is about right for the brine rinse cycle. it should only be putting about .3 to .4 gals per minute out the drain meaning after 3-4 gals down the drain your sewers are backing up.
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 10:05 am
@Jennlynn,
if there is any vacuum , it's probably working fine. the range is due to different input pressure. there is no adjustment on vacuum pressure . the gold series does allow untreated water to bypass the unit, but if you run water during the brine/rinse part of the cycle and it drops the pressure below 20 psi in the valve it will start refilling the brine tank , and when the pressure goes back up draw the brine back out, possibly not allowing for a proper rinse to remove all the brine from the resin tank and then drawing salty water from the resin tank into the house the next time you turn on a faucet.
0 Replies

Jennlynn

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:47 pm
During the rinse cycle, the discharge line is flowing water like a hose is wide open.... much more than a few gallons. We had to divert the water with a hose out to the woods since it was overflowing so much.

Can you tell me if the Gold Series requires a battery that I can change out ( I thought I notice one behind the board)? We had another power outage yesterday that kicked the rainsoft into regen over and over again until I unplugged it. I tried to step it through to the end of the regen cycle but then it would start over again. Any advice?

Do you know if we could just plug the unit in every week to regen then unplug it again? At least until we get up the courage to call Rainsoft out to fix it.
Joethewaterguy

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:03 am
@Jennlynn,
there is no battery. if it's full flow during step 4 there's something wrong,probably the seals. there will be "full" flow during step 3 - 5 to 8 minutes at 1.2gpm and step5 - 3 to 5 minutes. if it's an 8-10" tank and it flows more than 1.2 gpm during 3 and 5 , the flow control is sized wrong.
Jennlynn

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 08:46 am
@Joethewaterguy,
Joe, how should the flow control be sized? Do you have any idea what would cause the regeneration loop after a power outage? Thanks so much for your help!
Joethewaterguy

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 01:53 pm
@Jennlynn,
if it just keeps going around and around, I'd say one or both of the switches need replaced. usually the flow control has the size molded into the rubber like 1.2 , 2.5 .3.0. 5.5
0 Replies

Jennlynn

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:43 pm
So, we broke down and called Rainsoft out to look at the unit. They replaced the switches and associated wiring ($20 on top of $99 dispatch fee)... saying that the problems could be from the switch or the board (would cost $500 to replace if needed). So, we are hoping the switch replacement will take care of it. They said that the overflow on the drain line is caused by the fast drain on the Gold unit discharging way faster than the old Amazon unit we had. Therefore, he said that we should install a new drain bed by digging a whole and dumping gravel in it. I was wondering if anyone had any more specific pointers for installing a new gravel bed? Like - what size gravel and how much would be enough? The rainsoft repair guy said that the bed needs to handle about 70 gallons. Thanks!!
Joethewaterguy

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:58 pm
@Jennlynn,
unless your gold series is way bigger than your old amazon, the flow rate out the drain should be the same , when he left, did he fix the problem of the unit constantly cycling?
Jennlynn

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 07:45 am
@Joethewaterguy,
The newer Gold is actually quite a bit bigger than our Amazon. Additionally, the old unit was out of comission for at least a month before we replaced it and perhaps the well filled in?
The unit is fine for now but, we haven't had a power outage which is what kept causing it to constantly cycle. I could always hit the breaker to see how it does. Is there a way to permanently turn off the salt alarm that you know of? The other night it was going off so I reset it and change the salt level to 4 (where the salt actually was) but then last night it was ringing again though it kept the salt level at 4 where I programmed it. silly thing.
Joethewaterguy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:06 pm
@Jennlynn,
quite bigger is a relative term,if your new tank is 10 x 54 it still should only be running at 2 gpm during the backwash (3-xx) part of the cycle. As far as the salt alarm, later models allow you to set the time it sounds,but I don't think you can turn it off.
0 Replies