Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 03:56 pm
I am looking at getting a water softener and Culligan is the first company I called due to their large presence in central Texas. I asked the salesman about getting a carbon filter and he said it was not worth it. I found a company in the area that sells Fleck units, but they recommend the carbon filter. What's the real deal on carbon filters?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,886 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Davethewaterdoctor

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 10:02 pm
@smithj33,
City water has too much Chlorine or Chloramines(chlorine and ammonia) in the water and usually more than a swimming pool! It will destroy the resin inside a softener and should be addressed before considering a system for your home! Carbon will remove the chlorine taste and odor and filter organic impurities. I am an EcoWater Dealer and i sell the ERR 3500 series REFINER which is the best for city water. Try to get a quote for a system fro your local dealer or call 1-888-water-ok and get a system from the world largest manufacturer of residential water treatment systems and made in the USA. I worked for Culligan and their systems are made in CHINA now! contrary to what the salesman says it being made in Northbrook, IL. Some company in france bought Culligan and customers only buy it because they have heard the name before!
0 Replies

waterdude

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:05 am
@smithj33,
Carbon units or carbon is great to have if you are in City Water with high free chlorine 1.5 ppm and up ....have your local Water Treatment Co. test it for you and yes it will break down your resin in Water Softener and O-rings in all units
Replacing carbon on average every 2yrs....good luck
0 Replies