SEAGLASS HAS TWO CHARLES HENRY REYNOLDS PAINTINGS FOR SALEi

Sglass

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 01:48 pm
Now my question is how do I find out the correct value for the paintings.

Is it worth joining Artnet for a day to establish value. Has anyone used an on-line service to determine art values and/or which is the best place to go.

Plenty of galleries are interested, but!!!!!!!!

How much do I ask.

Reynolds is just now gaining popularity for his work done in New Mexico, Arizona et aol.

TX Seaglass
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 4,247 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:17 pm
@Sglass,
It's always good to know auction numbers, but the biggest prices are often paid by private collectors through art dealers in back rooms. You can ask different galleries/dealers to make you an offer, but you also might want to bring the paintings to an auction house for an appraisal. The bottom line is- don't ask for a dollar amount, rather let them make offers. There is no "correct value" when it comes to art, it only matters what the market is currently willing to pay.
Sglass

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 03:42 pm
@Green Witch,
I bought these pieces in an apartment sales in Boston.

I have a knack for spotting good stuff cheap at auctions and yard sales. My friends call me the Eye.

This guy Reynolds has become more and more collectible. I am looking for auction records to see what is out there and what it went for. And of course the private collector in the wings.

So I am looking for (the best) on-line auctions records place to get this info and biographical notes.

I guess I need to establish some sort of archivial system.

Has anyone used Artnet? Is it any good.

Sglass

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:21 am
@Sglass,
Well I got an offer from a gallery in Taos to sell my paintings for me at a 40% commission.

Anyone live near Taos? I would like to find out about the gallery and its reputation.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:36 am
This website: http://www.charleshenryreynolds.com/auction.html lists most of his paintings in the $2,000 - $3,000 range. If you look on the left hand side there is a link that says "Free Evaluation of Artwork". The link takes you to a form to fill out and submit.

It might be worth a try!

Also, many insurance companies cover artwork and will appraise them for you. It might be worth having them insured anyway, especially if you'll be shipping/mailing/hauling them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:41 am
I noticed in his bio:

Quote:
Reynolds was born in Kiowa, Oklahoma and attended the University of Oklahoma and Tulsa University. He worked as a bookkeeper, eventually become chief clerk to the Treasurer of Skelly Oil Company, and later became secretary and treasurer of an engineering firm.

Reynolds started painting on his own in 1925. He studied briefly at the Art Institute of Chicago and the Julian Academy in Paris, but was mostly self-taught. He painted realistic landscapes in oil and watercolor, drawing inspiration from Taos painters such as O.E. Berninghaus and J.H. Sharp.

Reynolds began visiting and painting New Mexico in 1932 and moved permanently to Taos in 1946. He later opened an art gallery there, selling his own and others' work. He exhibited extensively in Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, including one-man shows at the Philbrook Museum in Tulsa and the Museum of Fine Art in Santa Fe.

Eva used to docent (maybe still does) at Philbrook museum, she might know some people who could give you an idea.

Side note: I too went to the University of Tulsa and studied briefly at the Art Institute of Chicago. Now I feel that I should go to Paris just to continue the connection!
Sglass

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:05 pm
@boomerang,
Thank you so much for this info Boomerang. I've had the paintings for about 20 years. I have followed Reynolds art notices, but wasn't really sure on what the current prices were. The Artnet has a paid service for artist prices.

The gallery projected a selling prices of $6-7,000 with a 40% commission. So that sounds on spot.

Of course, I can go the eBay route.

Reynolds is just beginning to go up in the market. Largely because the early western artists are pretty much bought up. Reynolds was considered a third tier painter.

Didn't he spend time in Conn.?

I think we should all pack up and go paint in Paris.

Maybe Francis will put us up Cool
Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:08 pm
@Sglass,
I agree with the gallery estimate. I doubt you will get a good price on Ebay. You could offer them privately by advertising in an art publication.
0 Replies

todd4218

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 12:20 am
@Sglass,
Did you sell these paintings? I have acquired one recently and trying to figure out the best way to handle it. I'm new to this site. My family had 4 of his paintings altogether. This is the last one left.
0 Replies