How to hold a party at the university?

Svenja

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:37 am
Our college decides to hold a party or a ball on Christmas Eve and it will last for 2 and half hours.We want to know which kind of dance is suitable and the process of a party.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,657 • Replies: 18

jespah

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:48 pm
@Svenja,
What country are you in? How strict is the college? Some of the single sex colleges are pretty strict about such things, even now, in 2009. What do the people at your college like to do for fun?
djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:54 pm
@Svenja,
get a couple of large plastic garbage cans

http://common4.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/1100/562515/1/Brute+Square+Container+without+Lid+%2D+28+Gallon.jpg

a case of rum, a case of vodka, a case gin and 2 bottles of cranberry juice and some ice

divide the alcohol between the two garbage cans, add one bottle juice to each can, add ice

get some plastic cups, and two ladles, have some pretzels for snacks
ENFORCER

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:34 pm
@Svenja,
POLKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:00 am
@djjd62,
Even if I consciously knew that these large garbage cans were brand new and subjected to the most stringent and disciplined surgical room cleaning, I would have a very difficult time drinking anything from a garbage can. And I'm far from being a germaphobe.
0 Replies

Svenja

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 07:32 am
@jespah,
I'm in China and the participants are freshmen and sophomores.Besides, most of us haven't attended any parties before.We want to know what does a party should have, esp. games.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 07:58 am
@Svenja,
Wow, you're in college and have never been to a party. That's really sad.

I suggest, dim lighting, good dance music, an open area where people can dance, plenty of food and various things to drink (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), plus a place where people can sit and talk. I don't think you need games, people will entertain themselves just with socializing. I think of games as more important at children's parties because it keeps them organized. Adults can organize themselves.
jespah

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 08:41 am
@Green Witch,
You can have a good time without spending a lot of money.

Like Green Witch said, music, some food (it doesn't have to be elaborate), plus a place where people can sit and talk if they prefer that to dancing. Alcohol, I think, is optional (plus your school might not allow it). You don't have to play games and that can be a rather artificial means of socializing.

Do these people know each other, or is it more like the women are from a different college or dorm and are being invited over by the men, or something like that? If that's the case, you might actually want to do something to get people better acquainted, as some people are too shy to talk even if the setting is very friendly.
Svenja

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:01 am
@jespah,
Yes, the women are from a different college or dorm and are being invited over by the men and some of them are shy.Are there any better ways except games.We have no experience.
jespah

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:40 am
@Svenja,
Hmm. You are going to have your work cut out for you but it's not impossible.

Of course everyone has school in common, and some have their fields of study in common as well. But it gets dull to just talk about Chemistry lab (or whatever), and in any event you can run out of what to say rather quickly. Then there's Politics and things like that, but it can get contentious, plus not everyone wants to discuss such things.

I wonder if some sort of a questions game would be useful. Maybe something like, you could ask people to form a circle. Then have them turn to the person to their left and guess what that person's greatest achievement is. Then that person tells them how close they got. It could turn out to be very funny or very accurate.

Since it's a positive question, I think people wouldn't mind giving answers. Or you could word it like, what do you think ___ is famous for? And you might guess that I'm famous for making cherry pies (which I'm not). I might guess that you're famous for reciting the alphabet backwards.

I'll continue thinking about this. I think the last time I had to do something like this, I was rather young so it's been a while.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:51 am
Purchase a bag of potato chips and some French onion-flavored dip. Empty the chips into a large bowl; you can just serve the dip in its orignigal packaging (some here might think this is tacky, but it will communicate to the girls that you're no "square" and that you like to live on the edge). Place the chips and dip side-by-side on a card table, with napkins, so that people will know to dip the chips in the dip and as a result realize an awesome combination of flavors!

For entertainment, it is best to hire a local magician. Everyone will be astounded by the number of colored rags he or she (girls can be magicians too these days!) can pull from his/her sleeve. If he conscripts a girl to participate in a disappearing act, you must step forward and firmly explain to the magician that he is not to make accessories of the womenfolk.

Remember to blow up two or three balloons and tie them to a light fixture.

If you must dance, closely observe the following:

aidan

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:59 am
@Svenja,
Rent a karaoke machine...I guarantee you - you will have fun and die laughing at each other.
chai2

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 11:32 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Purchase a bag of potato chips and some French onion-flavored dip. Empty the chips into a large bowl; you can just serve the dip in its orignigal packaging (some here might think this is tacky, but it will communicate to the girls that you're no "square" and that you like to live on the edge). Place the chips and dip side-by-side on a card table, with napkins, so that people will know to dip the chips in the dip and as a result realize an awesome combination of flavors!

For entertainment, it is best to hire a local magician. Everyone will be astounded by the number of colored rags he or she (girls can be magicians too these days!) can pull from his/her sleeve. If he conscripts a girl to participate in a disappearing act, you must step forward and firmly explain to the magician that he is not to make accessories of the womenfolk.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfSPZud0O8E&feature=PlayList&p=20ACEF8AE2414557&index=3[/youtube]

If you want to go all out, buy a box of tooth picks, and a delicious meat substitute called "vienna sausages" they are vegan friendly, and pack quite a whallop when you squirt a little yellow mustard on them.
I'd suggest you cut each vienna sausage into 3 pieces, with a toothpick stuck in each piece, so everyone will get at least 3 to 6 pieces. Otherwise, they will only get 1 or 2, and might still be hungry. You'll also need a paper plate on which to arrange the treats.

One thing I would NOT suggest, as there will be girls there, is to have swimming or horseback riding.
I won't go into detail, but to have the above activities would probably cause some of the girls to have to miss out on the fun.

Another idea would be to have a theme party. A good example of a popular theme would be "western breakfast"
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 11:49 am
Chai wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfSPZud0O8E&feature=PlayList&p=20ACEF8AE2414557&index=3[/youtube]

If you want to go all out, buy a box of tooth picks, and a delicious meat substitute called "vienna sausages" they are vegan friendly, and pack quite a whallop when you squirt a little yellow mustard on them.
I'd suggest you cut each vienna sausage into 3 pieces, with a toothpick stuck in each piece, so everyone will get at least 3 to 6 pieces. Otherwise, they will only get 1 or 2, and might still be hungry. You'll also need a paper plate on which to arrange the treats.

One thing I would NOT suggest, as there will be girls there, is to have swimming or horseback riding.
I won't go into detail, but to have the above activities would probably cause some of the girls to have to miss out on the fun.

Another idea would be to have a theme party. A good example of a popular theme would be "western breakfast"

You guys crack me up.

What about letting them choose their good Chinese food and amusements they are used to, let alone their own social interacting ways?

Now, they are free (somehow) to choose an American way party...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 08:16 pm
I think Chai and Gargamel should move to China and become event planners.
There is obviously a need for their services.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 08:26 pm
@djjd62,
We used to do something similar to this back in college. But instead we used those clear rubber made tubs and chopped up fruit mixed in so if you didnt want to drink you could at least eat some tasty fruit.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 08:34 pm
@aidan,
Karaoke! Good call aidan! Very Happy
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 08:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Karaoke?

why not russian roulette?

(at least then only one person suffers...)
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 08:42 pm
@Rockhead,
So I'm not a big party animal. Was it that obvious? Confused

Razz

0 Replies