How Do You Feel About America?

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 08:21 pm
@djjd62,
Once more djjd62 I think that every country in the world have the right of self-defense and the right and duty to protect it citizens from the need of jumping out of tall buildings to keep from being burn to death.

They also had a duty to stand behind their agents doing the job of protecting their citizens.

Now in the case of the US and Italy if they was able to place our agents in prison under their laws I would have no problem with pressuring them to released them as I would not care about their laws only the safety of American citizens from attacks by terrorists.

Anything from economic pressure to a full scale commando raid would be fine with me.

In fact I read somewhere that the US Congress had already pass a resolution that in the case of the so call international war crime court seizing US servicemen without our ok that the government had permission to use force if need be to removed them from that court jurisdiction.

I need to research this issue however, it would not surprise or shock me that congress had done so.

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 08:29 pm
@BillRM,
if what you say is true, than at least your vision of america isn't the shining beacon of freedom you seem to purport, it's a gang of thugs who'll do whatever it takes to get what they want

i certainly don't believe that's every americans view
BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:09 pm
@djjd62,
if what you say is true, than at least your vision of america isn't the shining beacon of freedom you seem to purport, it's a gang of thugs who'll do whatever it takes to get what they want

i certainly don't believe that's every americans view
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No one can speak for every American my friend.

My opinion without seeing any poll of the subject however, that the majority of Americans would be for getting our people/agents out of an Italian prison by pressuring that government.

A commando raid would not be as popular as a good deal of heavy economic pressure, but I am fairly sure that I would not be the only one willing to back such an action as a last recourse.

As far as being a gang of thugs willing to do whatever it take, yes most nations in fact all nations in history could be sum up in that manner if you wish to be unkind.

Canada had been lucky that it seldom or never had it back to a wall but that is not common for nations.

Churchill orders the sinking of French naval warships in harbor and the killing of many French sailors to end the chance of the warships falling into German hands. He allow a major English city to endure a massive bombing raid that he knew was coming without doing any actions to decrease the harm or the deaths as a result in order to keep code breaking secrets.

My own father was under a possible death sentence as his commanding officer was under orders to kill him before allowing him to fall into Japanese hands, as he was an expert on the repair of the Norden bombsight.

Nations do what they need to do in a war and we are at war.

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:15 pm
@BillRM,
i give you credit for being honest enough to point out you might be on the extreme end of things, and i have no problem with a country trying to get their agents freed through diplomatic or even economic means, happens all the time
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

It means, quite simply david, that your stated opinions
almost always display an unusual degree of myopia.
as distinct from YOU, who sees things BACKWARD

Someone who waxes nostalgic about life in the 1880s is accusing dyslexia of seeing things backward??? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 03:50 am
@Merry Andrew,
Good point, Andy!
I find humor in that !

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What is your reasoning
in being very happy to call England home ?

It's a very nice place to live. I feel very at home here. The people are accepting, friendly and interesting and my surroundings are beautiful.
It's very different from the US, but I don't think I'd have grown to appreciate the US as much if I'd never lived here- and I know I'd have never have known what I was missing if I'd only ever lived there.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:44 am
@aidan,
How is it very different than the US ?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:04 am
@djjd62,
This is what a private US citizen Ross Perot did for his employees so I cannot see how we as a government could do less, if need be.

Note Perot was highly applauded for this deed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Perot

Just prior to the 1979 Iranian Revolution, the government of Iran imprisoned two EDS employees in a contract dispute. Perot organized and sponsored their rescue. The rescue team was led by retired U.S. Army Special Forces Colonel Arthur D. ('Bull') Simons. When the team couldn't find a way to extract their two prisoners, they decided to wait for a mob of pro-Ayatollah revolutionaries to storm the jail and free all 10,000 inmates, many of whom were political prisoners. The two prisoners then connected with the rescue team, and the team spirited them out of Iran via a risky border crossing into Turkey. The exploit was recounted in a book, On Wings of Eagles by Ken Follett, which became a best-seller. In the 1986 miniseries, Perot was portrayed by Richard Crenna.

0 Replies

LeChe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 01:50 pm
America is not the cream of the crop as what everyone thinks.

Quote:
Ask a typical U.S. citizens (hereinafter referred to as “American”) which is the best country on the planet and almost surely the American will respond with “America”. Of course, most Americans know so little of the world that they are saying this out of complete ignorance. However, unlike other nationals, who might love their country the most, but accept that other countries may be better for their citizens, or maybe a country can be better in one thing or another, Americans assume the U.S. is the best for everyone. In fact Americans assume that everyone wants to be in the U.S.

Ask an American why she or he holds this belief and most surely the response will be something along the lines of, “because it’s the best” or that “everyone wants to be here.” See, Americans actually think this is so true that it doesn’t need explaining or indeed, thinking about, and they do not realize that the majority of the people that come here, come for either because, (1) they live in a poor country with few opportunities and are not members of the elite of that country; (2) they are the bottom of their country’s society.

That is why the people that we consider more American now are from say, Italian or Germanic background. They are the descendants of the poor and uneducated, the ignorant of their countries. No wonder Americans are stupid. Just ask one of these current Italian-Americans to name a city in Italy and she or he will probably tell you, “Sicily”.

There is more than the apple not falling far from the tree here. The U.S. is pretty far from most of the world, and perhaps, in part this is why Americans do not travel much. Of course, that is not all. After all, why explore the world if you already are in the best place?

Now, this is where the American elite, the government, business and special interests come in… Such a stupid populace can be tricked into getting the worst and asking for more. Americans work more than almost anyone else and have less vacation than anyone else, but they’ll tell you they are proud to be hard workers. Americans have less job security than any other Western nation, and while most Americans are employees, they will tell you this is good for business (employers). Americans used to have the best chance to live better than the previous generation, but no more, now many countries have jumped the U.S., including France. Americans are the only Western nation without public healthcare. They’ll tell you that they are happy about this because they want choice and quality, but they are too stupid to find out that a higher percentage of Americans is without any insurance than citizens of any of those other countries, and that Americans have one of the highest rates of medical failure, including infant mortality rates. Most Americans exercise democratic rights less than their European counterparts, including, strikes, unions and demonstrations. They’ll tell you this is so because they are more satisfied, but Europeans report higher rates of satisfaction with their lives and more Europeans have more security in their job, residence, healthcare, education than Americans, things won through protests and the like. This less point is very instructive: European governments are afraid of their people, and so listen to them; in the U.S., the opposite is true.

Even after all that, and more, an American is likely to say that America is the best. He will say that America is the richest and the strongest and the land of opportunities. This is true, but this has nothing to do with 99.9% of Americans. Only the elite few run the country, the rest die in its wars. Only a few are sickly rich, the rest just toil hoping to one day be in the midst of that 0.1%, forgetting that their chances are at 999 in a 1,000 they won’t succeed. Instead, they will have only a life of work and not knowing their children to show for it (although that’s fine as the kids are too busy working).

In the meantime, the average European or Canadian, has free and good healthcare, education, and residential assistance. She has job security and almost endless unemployment in case of need. He has at least 4 weeks vacation a year. Sure, he does not have everything. He does not have a 10 bedroom house with 3 55″ TV’s, but he has quality of life, a security net and time to enjoy that quality with peace of mind thanks to the security. He has traveled a bit, and probably knows how to ski and swim, things comparatively few Americans have any experience with.

Americans do not realize that there are plenty of people in countries with decent economies and societies that have no interest in moving to the U.S.
Even the smarter Americans have been saying for decades now that the other countries’ economies will collapse under their huge public expenditures, and the decades roll on…. The problem is that Americans are just too stupid to be informed and so they can continue working 60 hour weeks, with a week of vacation in Florida (and that’s “middle class”), and put off that doctor’s appointment for a while longer.
BillRM

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 04:48 pm
@LeChe,
Quote:
That is why the people that we consider more American now are from say, Italian or Germanic background. They are the descendants of the poor and uneducated, the ignorant of their countries. No wonder Americans are stupid. Just ask one of these current Italian-Americans to name a city in Italy and she or he will probably tell you, “Sicily
”.

LOL so Einstein was a German with little education when he decided to run to the US from Germany?

Or the others Physicists and scientists for that matter that did the same in the 30s?

Let see the son of the former head of the USSR Khrushchev who once stated we will bury you, is now a US citizen and a college professor.

Hell a large percent of our major founding fathers for that matter was not born in the colonies such as Hamilton and Paine but came here looking for a better future.

We are in fact in the same position as the city of Alexandria was two thousands years ago a beacon that draw the best and brightest to us.

0 Replies