How Do You Feel About America?

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:11 pm
@djjd62,
in my mind it has nothing to do with delight, it has to do with international laws, or rather the fact that other countries have laws and the right to enforce them, no matter who breaks them
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They had the right to try to enforce their laws and we have a right to stop them cold when it come to our need to protect our citizens on our soil from large scale attacks.

And so call international laws is a joke and a poor one at that. No one but ourselves is going to protect our citizens from attack.

Talk to me about so call international laws when there is a world government with the ability to take over the duty to protect our citizens from harm not before.
djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
i corrected myself in the same sentence, i said other countries laws, which, erroneously, was what i meant by international laws

so let it be stated, i meant, other countries have laws and the right to enforce them
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:15 pm
@BillRM,
i already addressed the international law, it was a mistake

as for other countries laws, you don't have the right to contravene them, just as others don't have the right to contravene yours
Thomas

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:15 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Hmm you wish to have it both ways it would seem the military occupation did stop the lynchings and gave the blacks the power to vote and have a large say in their state governments.

Would it really seem so? I realize that the KKK temporarily shut down in the era of reconstruction. But to my knowledge the lynchings didn't stop -- they continued at about the same rate. I admit, though, that all the evidence I have on this is memories of articles I read in high school. These memories are a little rusty, so I'll happily defer to you if you present me with better evidence.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:17 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

It means, quite simply david, that your stated opinions almost
always display an unusual degree of myopia.
To put it simply and bluntly:
I reject collectivism and I reject usurpations of power.
America is supposed to be a free country of laissez faire free enterprize,
libertarianism, Individualism, hedonism and selfishness.

Anyone who is not selfish is a pervert.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:19 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i already addressed the international law, it was a mistake

as for other countries laws, you don't have the right to contravene them,
just as others don't have the right to contravene yours
AGREED.

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:19 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
I don't.

I have feelings about people, but not about countries.

I have to admit I develop feelings about countries, mostly from my interactions with the people in those countries.

I have wonderful feelings about Spain, less positive about Portugal and only because the I found the Spanish people friendlier - I don't know why. I have wonderful feelings about Italy-less positive about Greece for the same reason. Wonderful feelings about France and the Netherlands, less positive about Belgium - wonderful feelings about Mexico-less positive feelings about Canada - same reasons.
It could also have something to do with how people in those countries feel about and react to Americans - as I am American and I have never lived in any of those countries and only visited them as a tourist. That may have affected the response of the locals as opposed to how you'd be treated as someone who lived and belonged there.

So I don't set any of my impressions in stone - except that I do know of all the countries I've visited -taken as a whole package - I'm very happy that I get to call England and the United States home. They are my two favorites.

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Anyone who is not selfish is a pervert.David

i am personally selfish, i never got married or had kids because i like my personal time, i do what i want to do, when i want to do it

i do however do a lot for others and believe that everyone should help to the best of their ability
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:23 pm
@Thomas,
they continued at about the same rate. I admit, though, that all the evidence I have on this is memories of articles I read in high school. These memories are a little rusty, so I'll happily defer to you if you present me with better evidence.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry but there is only so must time in life to do research however we both seem to agree that the KKK was stop dead in it track and I assume that we both agree that the southern state governments had black office holders including congressmen and that blacks could and did vote in numbers during that time period.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:24 pm
@aidan,
What is your reasoning
in being very happy to call England home ?

David
BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:35 pm
@djjd62,
contravene them, just as others don't have the right to contravene yours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When those laws allow or enable our enemies to launch attacks on our citizens from those counties or with the aid of anyone living in those countries we have every right under the right of self defense to do whatever it take to short-stop those attacks.

And to use whatever means are needed to stop the countries in question from punishing our people for so doing afterward.

As I said before they had a right to try to enforce their laws in a manner that tend to interfere with our ability to defense ourselves and we had a right to stop them cold up to it need be military force.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:59 pm
@djjd62,
Djjd622 let put it another way if the Canadian government decided to allow Ben Laden to set up shop and claimed that they have every right to offer him protection under Canadian laws, the results would be for the first time since 1812 US forces would cross your border in a very unfriendly manner.

Somehow, I do not think you would get to burn our White house this time either<grin>.

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:35 pm
@BillRM,
first off it's bin laden, and we're not likely to do that are we

believe it or not bill, i'm all for hunting down terrorists and stopping them, but other countries laws are other countries laws, if your agents contravene them in that pursuit, they can be prosecuted, should they be, it really remains for the country in question to make that decision not you or the american government, i'm guessing you think the laws that govern your land are important, and your always reminding us that country folk fought so gallantly to protect other countries so they could have their own rights and laws, then you have to respect them
Rockhead

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:47 pm
@djjd62,
Ben Laden

ain't that Ben Dover's cousin?

(once removed, if i remember correctly...)
ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:49 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
threat of the Muslins

badly prepared muslins are always a threat to a well-made suit
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:51 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

Ben Laden

ain't that Ben Dover's cousin?

(once removed, if i remember correctly...)

Ben Dover?

Phil McCraken's buddy
Green Witch

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:58 pm
@djjd62,
I went to Benjamin Laden's bat mitzvah in 1977. It was held at Leonard's of Great Neck on Long Island.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:59 pm
@djjd62,
yeah, that guy.

dated Emma Blivious for a while.
djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 08:03 pm
@Rockhead,
i think she knew my irish buddies, used to hang around the stoop all day

Paddy O'Lantern and Paddy O'Furniture
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 08:11 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I've seen literally thousands of Canadians gather on July 1 to renew their "citizenship vows."

where'd you see that?

the most I've ever seen (and I'm usually one of them) is about 30 or 40
0 Replies