Don't know if I wanna live here any more

djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
apparently we have them in canada, although i've never seen one, but i've eaten at elias brothers big boy, which is i'm guessing pretty much the same

when i lived in Toronto, it was Frans, an all night restaurant, fresh made waffles, good for soaking up what ever the libation of choice was that evening
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:31 pm
@djjd62,
Though its been a very long time since I've been to a Big Boy, they are pretty much clones of each other. Can't say I remember anything about the food as to compare the quality....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, tepid. But, reliably tepid!
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:38 pm
@roger,
Very Happy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:40 pm
@roger,
I guess that's why they're a chain. Each restaurant is as consistently mediocre wherever you go.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:42 pm
@roger,
Denny food is not all that bad people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not great but not all that bad either and in most areas of the US the only game in town if you get hungry at 3 AM.
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:44 pm
@BillRM,
if you're up at 3am you should be too drunk or high to even think about eating, especially if you're driving truck through middle america
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:48 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
and in most areas of the US the only game in town if you get hungry at 3 AM.

You do make a fair point.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
I ate at Denny's well, once.

I landed in Seattle on the way to Idaho for my aunt's memorial and Piffka and Jeanne d'seattle (I forget her screen names) met me as the plane landed and we tried to find the nearest place and it was Dennys. My omelet was good, and I'm a picky egg person - and the conversation was good, connecting.

My own decrying is about the small family coffeeshops being overrun by brutallist (how is it not?) corporatism.

On my trips back and forth from south and north in California, I strongly avoided 5 , whatever roads I travelled. 5 was too damned depressing.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:07 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

dlowan wrote:

What's going on, do you think?

At a guess, I'd say prob'ly the same type of paranoia that has gripped the mainland recently.

I've heard that Jewelry sales are up nationwide as well. Apparently when some women get stressed they buy jewelry. And when some men get stressed they buy guns.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:08 pm
@ossobuco,
One more thing I love about New York City are the plethora of noncorporate diners and coffee shops. Very Happy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:10 pm
@rosborne979,
I can't believe I completely forgot what the thread was about.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

I hope Merry Andrew ain't upset with the turn of his original thread. I'm sorry Mr. Andrew.... Mad
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:13 pm
gun permits

long gun- basic permit to hunt pigs (req criminal background check)
hand guns- classes required for fire arm safety and criminal background check) for permit.

I would be interested in how many permits were issued to locals, native to Hawaii and how many to expatriots of other counties.

There are a lot of pig hunters on the Big Island who shoot, dress and sell for the local market. Smoke meat from a roadside stand, kalua pork, sausage . . .

Just one example of why having access to fire arms is beneficial to the economy and livilihood of the local pig hunter on the Big Island.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:22 pm
@Sglass,
Pig hunters. Let me digest this. So italian. Italians have famously killed even all the birds, biggo hunters. You all know me as italophilic, but not in this case.

Part of me can see it, but I basically don't like it at all. So, the pigs roam and are shot. You, being a smart pig, are snuffling around, foraging and you get hit by a bullet. Why would this pig care if you passed a criminal background check?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not a vegetarian. I admit to various confusions.

I prefer not to be shot, and I figure pigs and others do too.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Into your life it will creep.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
So, the pigs roam and are shot. You, being a smart pig, are snuffling around, foraging and you get hit by a bullet. Why would this pig care if you passed a criminal background check?

Excellent point, Osso! Why, indeed?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:35 pm
@ossobuco,
It's the bureaucacy Osso. Man and pig are victims.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:45 pm
@Sglass,
I think of it as atavistic, and bureaucracy as an attempt to put all that into rules and occasionally to leap forward. I understand shooting pigs, and even humans, but I don't like it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:25 am
I once worked with a man who did not like seeing me be nice to a dog. "My father taught me that animals can't be your friend," he said.
Some months later, I drove into his yard in time to witness him pointing his rifle upward. His three small sons were crowded in close, apparently loving it. He busted off a shot. I saw an explosion of feathers. "I hate those kind of birds," he said.
There are times guns can be helpful. There are also persons who need training when to use them.