pontus

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:38 am
Okay, for the last month or so I've been having some medical problems. The 4 doctors I've gone to are stomped.

I am 21 years olf and a student. not really under pressure and I eat a varied diet.

My symptoms are primarily the pressure in my chest which comes and goes in a variety of intensities. It's usually restricted to the left chest, but has also occured in the middle of it. The pressure aliveates a bit if I burp. Often times I feel like I need to burp but can not.

At times I also find that like I'm having difficulty breathing, like I forget to do it and dizziness. The dizziness hs subsided quite a bit, and at the most I feel a little lightheaded from time to time nowaday. My appetite haven't really returned but atleast I'm getting a 1000 kcal or more in me everyday now, which is more then I've been able to eat for some time.

This is not in anyway connected to what I eat, the attacks come no matter how much or little of fatty or unfatty food I have had.
Timewise it's not connected to meal either. I usually have an attack during night.

The doctors have checked my blodpressure 3 times, my EKG twice, my bloodwork and urine twice. They are stomped.

I'm googling like crazy to find anything that would match my symptoms but so far I haven't. Wondering if anyone out there has had similar symptoms?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 13,514 • Replies: 16
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:50 am
@pontus,
Perhaps you could quite possibly be having panic attacks?
Quote:
Panic Disorder
Panic disorder is different from the normal fear and anxiety reactions to stressful events in our lives. Panic disorder is a serious condition that strikes without reason or warning. Symptoms of panic disorder include sudden attacks of fear and nervousness, as well as physical symptoms such as sweating and a racing heart. During a panic attack, the fear response is out of proportion for the situation, which often is not threatening. Over time, a person with panic disorder develops a constant fear of having another panic attack, which can affect daily functioning and general quality of life.

Panic disorder often occurs along with other serious conditions, such as depression, alcoholism, or drug abuse.

What Are the Symptoms of Panic Disorder?
Symptoms of a panic attack, which often last about 10 minutes, include:

Difficulty breathing.
Pounding heart or chest pain.
Intense feeling of terror.
Sensation of choking or smothering.
Dizziness or feeling faint.
Trembling or shaking.
Sweating
Nausea or stomachache.
Tingling or numbness in the fingers and toes.
Chills or hot flashes.
A fear that you are losing control or are about to die.
Beyond the panic attacks themselves, a key symptom of panic disorder is the persistent fear of having future panic attacks. The fear of these attacks can cause the person to avoid places and situations where an attack has occurred or where they believe an attack may occur.

What Causes Panic Disorder?
Although the exact cause of panic disorder is not fully understood, studies have shown that a combination of factors, including biological and environmental, may be involved. These factors include.

Family history. Panic disorder has been shown to run in families. It may be passed on to some people by one or both parent(s) much like hair or eye color can.
Abnormalities in the brain. Panic disorder may be caused by problems in parts of the brain.
Substance abuse. Abuse of drugs and alcohol can contribute to panic disorder.
Major life stress. Stressful events and major life transitions, such as the death of a loved one, can trigger a panic disorder.

0 Replies

pontus

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 12:00 pm
Well, I've had panikattacks as a consequence of this and they feel completly different. I have more or less one "attack" if you so will a day now, I'm not really worried anymore just very bothered. With a panic attack you feel fear or nervousness, I just feel the pressure in my chest.
Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 12:53 pm
@pontus,
We aren't medical experts here so keep after your doctors for answers. After all, with you having such symptoms , the wisest thing would be that only a medical person in a face-to-face meeting should advise you. Here we can offer our sympathy and suggest you keep after your own doctor to find the answer or find a different doctor.

I suggest you research some more and learn all the different symptoms of a panic attack as well as general anxiety ..which CAN include pressure in the chest.

The listed that follows are a few of the common symptoms:

Symptoms of a Panic Attack
raging heartbeat
difficulty breathing, feeling as though you 'can't get enough air
terror that is almost paralyzing
nervous, shaking, stress
heart palpitation, feeling of dread
dizziness, lightheadedness or nausea
trembling, sweating, shaking
choking, chest pains, distress
fear, fright, afraid, anxious
hot flashes, or sudden chills
tingling in fingers or toes ('pins and needles')
fearful that you're going to go crazy or are about to die

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:03 pm
@pontus,
You can't forget to breathe....no matter what you do. When you're anxious or nervous, you cannot be objective and assess your own emotional state.

Heaetburn
Gas
dietary issues

Incidentally, you wrote about your intake of calories, be aware that unless you are female who is under under 5ft tall and/or under 100 lbs, 1000 calories is quite a restrictive diet. Why are you on such a low caloric diet? A typical diet for most would be 1500-2500 calories.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:12 pm
@pontus,
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

typical daily caloric intake for 21 yr old man (5ft 9 in, 160 lbs exercise 3x/wk):
RESULTS - GUIDELINE ONLY
Maintenance: 2369 Calories/day
Fat Loss: 1895 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss: 1421 Calories/day

typical daily caloric intake for 21 yr old woman (5ft 5in, 125lb, exer. 3x/wk):

RESULTS - GUIDELINE ONLY
Maintenance: 1834 Calories/day
Fat Loss: 1467 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss: 1101 Calories/day

Therefore, if you're on a diet that's only 1000 k/day, you're below starvation level.

0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:14 pm
Do you work out? could it be from that? Are you using machines or weights?
I thought something was wrong with my upper chest (feeling lots of pressure) when I realized that several machines I had been using for arm strength had pads that hit me slighlty above the bosom. Changed positions, problem went away.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:27 pm
As I understand it chest spasms are not uncommon and are frequently mistaken for cardiac events. Moreover, I am told that any discomfort in the chest area will--as a virtually automatic response--generate anxiety, something to do, I think, with the secretion of adrenolin.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:27 pm
As I understand it chest spasms are not uncommon and are frequently mistaken for cardiac events. Moreover, I am told that any discomfort in the chest area will--as a virtually automatic response--generate anxiety, something to do, I think, with the secretion of adrenolin.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 03:20 pm
@pontus,
I vote for acid reflux. It can mimic a heart attack. Ask your doctor about medication.
0 Replies

Nicole8ca

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 12:43 am
Did you ever find a reason for this? I have the exact same symptoms. I know exactly what you mean when you say it's like you forget to breath. Breathing is something you do without realizing it, but every now and then it's like I for get and have to take one big gasp of air. I'm also having the chest pain where you feel like you have to burp, but can't.
Timmo14

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 09:55 pm
@Nicole8ca,
Gee Nicole I am in new territory here with communicating, but just chanced upon your request for a reason for not being able to burp and pains in the chest and you mentioned forgetting to breath. Well my Doctor said it was caused by my not breathing! My experience is exactly the same as yours, and although the Doctor said what was causing the problem I have no idea I'm doing it, but I will say that I'm more prone to get it when I'm doing physical stuff like mowing or walking briskley or dare I say it arguing with someone at home. However I hope you have since found a solution and can share! Timmo
Adam eee

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2014 08:10 pm
@Timmo14,
Hello. I have the exact same problem. Ive never been able to burp on purpose and only 17 times on acciedent. Iam 34. And recently ive caught myself holding my breath and getting dizzy. All the stuff u described. I described the anxiety feeling to the doc so he gives me zanax. Lol. It didnt help. Ive discovered if I cough real hard and almost throw up air comes out and the relief I feel is instant. If you do this in public people think your diying. Nice to know iam not alone or crazy
Tlc2011

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 09:03 pm
@Adam eee,
Has anyone figure this out?'!? Or have you all died from it!?' Been dealing with this exact same symptoms for months now. I now have anxiety from these symptoms...help!
0 Replies

Sallie123

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 04:33 pm
@Nicole8ca,
I get chest discomfort and feel I have to burp, but I can't. It happens often after I swallow some food, and the food seems stuck in my upper chest. I have to drink more water to get the food to move on, so I can burp again. Doctor says it's heartburn.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 09:16 pm
@pontus,
This is from the American Heart Association. You can trust them.
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/WarningSignsofaHeartAttack/Warning-Signs-of-a-Heart-Attack_UCM_002039_Article.jsp#.V3x31Fclei4
0 Replies

MarioT

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 01:03 pm
@pontus,
I seem to be having the same exact symptoms that you described I was wondering if you were able to figure out what it is please respond
0 Replies