Yellow spots on bathroom ceiling/walls after showers

cablen

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:26 am
Hello,
My husband and I have recently purchased our home and we painted our bathroom with the Sherwin William's Bathroom paint & we did let the paint dry for many days before using the shower and after our shower runs for a few minutes yellow spots start forming on the ceiling and start running down our walls. They are easily wiped off with a paper towel but we do not want it to continue. We just purchased a brand new bathroom fan that is for the size of our bathroom & we run it before, during, and after our showers. The previous owners were smokers, but this also happened in our previous apartment and we are not smokers. What can we do to stop this from happening every shower? Thanks Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 11,128 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:29 am
@cablen,
When you wipe it off with the paper towel is it yellow, or just condensation?

If the paint is dry, it should not be dissolving due to condensation. Do the walls feel dry (before you turn the shower on), or are they still sticky?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:44 am
Did you use a primer before painting?

If not, go back and prime the ceiling -- it will seal it, then paint again. Kilz makes a good primer (note: I don't work for them or anything so I've got nothing to gain by the recommendation.) Their Kilz Premium is waterbased and very low odor. Good stuff.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:54 am
@boomerang,
yes Boomer is absolutely right and to add, be sure to use a kitchen/bath paint.
0 Replies