how vigorous is computer science?

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:59 pm
I'm currently attending a community college, planning to transfer to UC Berkeley major in Computer Science. I would like to know how vigorous will computer science be? Okay, here's a little bit about myself

I can say i am pretty tech savvy.
I've always been interested in 'computer stuff' for years.
I know my way around computers, manipulate things on computer efficiently.
I have a particular interest in network/security in general and the related stuff.
I have experienced with some GNU/Linux distros like Fedora, Opensuse, Crunchbang, and i'm running Ubuntu daily as my secondary OS along with Windows. I troubleshoot computers for friends/relatives from petty stuff like virus infection/re-install OS to recovery files from a dead hard-drive.
I listen to tech podcast, read tech news/trick/tips on a daily basis.

I mean i'm very passionate about tech in general. However, computer science is very particular and i know i'll be programming stuff. The thing is i have never tried to program before. The farthest i tried was HTML (not even a programming language, i know).

I'm willing to learn and willing to tackle it but i'm just afraid i won't be good at it. I bet my fellow classmates have been coded programs since they were like 9 or 10

I don't even know if computer science is a good major for this day and age but i only get excited about 'computer stuff'. Is UCB good for CS?

Any comments, suggestions, or any inputs are welcomed! Please shed me some light!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,669 • Replies: 3
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:27 pm
@r3ptilia,
Computer science and programming is always a safe bet. And once this hideous financial catastrophe is over with... you'll come out on top if you have the innovative skills. You will be competing against the global market.

I kind of wish I was pushed into the field as a teenager. I grew up in the 1980's with always with computer or a variation of one in the house. But I was intimidated with learning the languages of programming.

It already looks like you have gotten a great jump start into the world of computing. And aren't there more then programming paths for you to travel down? Networking? Security? Web design? Just casting a few leads out there. Question you professors a lot! Ask for career advice and where you should focus yourself.

I can't really say if UC Berkeley is any good or not because that's an area I have no idea about.

I say stick with the path and you'll be going places.
r3ptilia

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:33 am
@tsarstepan,
thanks for you input! I'll tech myself some python and if it goes well i'll give CS a go
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:37 am
@r3ptilia,
I went to UCLA, fine place, but I didn't study CS. I do have a cousin who is a whiz re computers who did international business at UCI. Eh, if you can get into UCB, go for it.
0 Replies