Michael Belk's modern Jesus photographs

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 07:50 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Personally, I don't much care about Jesus, and I don't much care about kitsch, so that's two counts against the pictures. Nice lighting though.

I'm not remotely religious, but I found the photographs intriguing, Thomas. I don't think he was attempting to be tasteful at all, but deliberately creating a specific type of mood/atmosphere. These remind me a lot of old Italian movies about Mussolini, fascism & divided communities.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:00 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
Msolga -- I too thought the second photo was interesting. I'd love to know what book the guard (?) is reading since Jesus seems to be the only one interested in it.

Still pondering this one, boomerang. Now, if there wasn't a man in a suit behind the bars, it'd be a lot more straight forward! Wink

http://demossnews.com/journeysproject/images/pc04_journeyswithmessiah_w.jpg
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:14 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Why he has the rifle, I don't know. But he doesn't look at all threatening, or as if he'd even consider using it.

A common theme in the New Testament is Jesus taking your burdens, things that weigh heavy. It may be the photographer is portraying Jesus as taking on this man's issues (killing the innocent, etc..) and offering other options.

edit: I say common - I know it is there at least once or twice.
msolga

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:17 am
@mismi,
Interesting, mismi.
I was interpreting the photograph in a purely political context.
0 Replies

idahomike

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 12:03 pm
@mismi,
Personally I was touched by the fact that Jesus could take all my burdens and carry them for me as he is for this young soldier. bravo! What a great piece of art...
0 Replies

armyagcorps

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 02:59 am
@boomerang,
This is anti-Semitic and careless. Even if it can be interpreted as Jesus disarming or reasoning with the Nazi officer it is irresponsible to publish such material. It's imagery could ignite more than controversy. It could spark hatred of the very people Jesus came to and those of His own human lineage--the Jews. Have we not had enough of this throughout history? Art is thought provoking and our right to freedom of speech is inclusive of all forms of expression, a right we fight to protect. But shouldn't we use some discretion as to what we portray and how we portray it when every day a growing number of extremists are committing acts of aggression, hate and terror toward a people? Do we want to fuel that violence? This is how propaganda begins. Thanks for reading.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 03:25 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I believe they were all shot in Italy and the "Jesus" is Italian.

I agree that many of the images are sugary but I think they're well executed, in an interview Belk said "Jesus didn't come to found a religion, he came to deliver a message" and that's what he's trying to show.

There's some interesting commentary about the Nazi photo around the net: would Jesus, a Jew, forgive the Nazis?

Is Jesus armed or did he disarm the soldier?
Jesus said that if u don't have a sword, u better buy one. Luke 22:36
That extrapolates to a gun, after thay became available.

David
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 03:27 am
armyagcorps wrote:
But shouldn't we use some discretion as to what we portray and how we portray it when every day a growing number of extremists are committing acts of aggression, hate and terror toward a people? Do we want to fuel that violence? This is how propaganda begins. Thanks for reading.

Are you trying to shut us up, using the same kind of propaganda extremist muslims used in the Muhammad cartoons controversy?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 03:39 am
@armyagcorps,
armyagcorps wrote:
This is anti-Semitic and careless. Even if it can be interpreted as Jesus disarming or reasoning with the Nazi officer it is irresponsible to publish such material. It's imagery could ignite more than controversy. It could spark hatred of the very people Jesus came to and those of His own human lineage--the Jews. Have we not had enough of this throughout history? Art is thought provoking and our right to freedom of speech is inclusive of all forms of expression, a right we fight to protect. But shouldn't we use some discretion as to what we portray and how we portray it when every day a growing number of extremists are committing acts of aggression, hate and terror toward a people? Do we want to fuel that violence? This is how propaganda begins. Thanks for reading.
Do u embrace a "heckler 's veto" ??

David
0 Replies

johnbriner

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 08:54 am
@Gargamel,
What the? What happen to Jesus Christ in this photo? Hmm. But I was amazed how it was created, nice abs and muscle. A strong and powerful savior. Beware of our Super Jesus Christ, he'll save us from all heartaches. Love it! Looking forward for a new painting. God bless. Smile
0 Replies