The Art of the Graceful Comeback!

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 08:54 pm
Talk of the Nation interview advice columnist Amy Dickinson
http://www.wbur.org/npr/120833756
Quote:
Martha Stewart created a stir last week when she critiqued Rachel Ray. But many say the prize goes to Ray for her savvy and graceful response. Syndicated advice columnist Amy Dickinson talks about the art of the eloquent comeback.

You have any stories on any gracious comebacks to defend your honor or the honor of your friend in rebuking a perceived injustice.

The Insult:
Quote:
Ms. MARTHA STEWART (Host, ?The Martha Stewart Show?): [Rachel Ray] professed that she cannot bake. She just did a new cookbook which is just a re-edit of a lot of her old recipes. And that's not good enough for me. I mean, I really want to write a book that is a unique and lasting thing, something that will really fulfill a need in someone's library. So, she's different. She's more of an entertainer than she is - with a bubbly personality than she is a teacher like me.

The Comeback:
Quote:
CONAN: Stewart's target [Rachel Ray] then won kudos for what many described as a most graceful comeback. Why would it make me mad, Rachel Ray said. Her skill set is far beyond mine. That's simply the reality of it. That doesn't mean that what I do isn't important, too. I just think she's being honest. When it comes to producing a beautiful, perfect high-quality meal, I'd rather eat Martha's than mine too.

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have one.

Once, at a party, some rather strange man began viciously attacking friends of mine (a married couple)....but especially the woman...for not having had children. He actually used the words "You haven't done your duty to your country!"

The husband was too stoned to process what was going on...and my female friend was too stunned and upset by the attack to say anything.

I felt the call.

"I take it YOU have done YOUR duty to your country?", I said to the bellicose man.

"Yes!!" he trumpeted.

"Good! So, was it painful?"

"Painful?" he said.

Well, yes. I assume you meant you had a vasectomy?"
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Tempest in a teapot. Both are right. (I can't bake either, heh; bread yes, but I have low practice on desserts. I had a big discussion with myself in the ongoing effort to make a good apple pie this morning (dough having rested overnight, don't get me going). I simply gave up the idea of doing a Freddy Girardet lemon tart along with it. The excuse was too few lemons, which was true, but at base, I don't have the right stuff as a baker. Ray and similar are teachers too.

I say this having rarely watched Martha and having spent many years making fun of her doing what the rest of us were, mostly, and being a self caricature perfectionist in her articles. All that time, she, among others, also made it ok to have opinions, design wise, taste wise, on these kind of things.

I've also only watched Ray for possibly one or one half of one YouTube segment, no way to judge. I learn from the scientific cooks, the just do it cooks, the extremely decorative and ingredient savvy cooks, the arty farties, the foam connoisseurs, and take what I feel like from each of them.

My next pie will be better.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, wait, that was just a comment. Back to consider your question, re graceful comeback.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:15 pm
@dlowan,
Thinking ahead, that one will be the winner. (We'll see..)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:17 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Well, yes. I assume you meant you had a vasectomy?"

http://www.seattlechoralcompany.org/Images/applause.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess the implicit side issue is should Martha Stewart have made seemingly unnecessary assessment of Rachel Ray in the first place.

It's widely known that the two aren't in the same league. It would seem that Stewart somehow felt threatened by Rachel Ray so she felt defensive enough to make that statement.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Rachel has had to defend herself from far worse than Martha's statement.

she's pretty savvy with the PR thing.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
That is likely true. Consider yourself being her.

Ok, work on it..

She went into snippy, such a bitch thing, but she toned it.

Sorry, but I don't think Stewart (however much I'm not her greatest fan) felt all threatened, at least in the long run, though I agree maybe in the short. Stewart had spent incessive obsessive hours on how to's. Stewart is media savvy, and I can see her being inflamed by Ray as a lame-o antagonist.

I can also see being Stewart and just dissing, or semi dissing. If you look at it, it wasn't that bad.

Again, teapot.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Plus, lot of ok re Ray.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:00 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
she's pretty savvy with the PR thing.

She should be. Do you know her dog doesn't even like or eat Rachel Ray Nutrish for Pets dog food? Her dog eats Eukanuba. But I guess that's beside the point.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
the fact that you know that (or think you do) kinda shows her media presence.

the tabloids love her...
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:05 pm
@Rockhead,
I know that from an insiders information. I literally fed her dog on several occasions. She's a VIP client at Biscuits and Bath, my former employer.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
ahhh.

anyways. she keeps her name out there.

controversy sells.

(for both of them)

I know more about her than I ever asked to know...
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:08 pm
@dlowan,
Mz Bunny,

Once again, I humbly bow at your altar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Eyeing this comment..

why not? I've followed a lot of french chefs over the years, however slovenly I did it - really, you all know me, I just check in from time to time. Those chefs always say what they think. Or, mostly. Someone like MS has to ramp it down, and why?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:19 pm
Ok, still trying to get back to the thread premise.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:31 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm sure I've bon motted nicely while not being bitcheroo, but I'm having trouble remembering exact quotes.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:03 am
I think that a comeback doesn't even have to be a comeback in the sense of the word. What Rachael Ray did was evident of this. A come back would be in some way poking back at the person and taking a gab at their character in one fashion or another.

I think a lot of times that if you show the person making the gab at your character that their words have caused little to no effect on you that you have won.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 01:01 am
@Seed,
Agree.
0 Replies