Daniel Schorr is Gone

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:59 pm
Political analyst, Daniel Schorr, died today at 93 years old. I had come to 'know' him only in the last 10 years, but I had tremendous respect for him. I always listened carefully to what he had to say.
http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/cbs/?story=/news/feature/2010/07/23/daniel_schorr_dies
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,985 • Replies: 10
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:03 pm
@littlek,
Thank you for breaking this news LittleK. I've been listening to NPR since about 1995, a mere minute's worth in Daniel Schorr's very and respectable career.

A giant has left the airwaves and he will be missed.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:04 pm
NPR has been slipping in commentary and remembrances of him today.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:40 pm
@littlek,
One of the most moral and respected journalist in the world.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:52 pm
From a generation of reporters, not paid toadies.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:54 pm
What I remember is his voice.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:56 pm
A very admired and respected man.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 08:35 pm
@littlek,
Oh no---thanks for breaking the news, but what a loss! I only started to listen to Daniel Schorr when I moved to America. But I always liked how unpretentious, relaxed and plainspoken he was without ever dumbing anything down. And he had a backbone, too! I remember a long interview with him about what it was like to be an independent-minded journalist during the Nixon era. Chilling stuff. But somehow he managed to never let them break him.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 08:56 pm
His sharp intellect and excellent memory, to say nothing of his objectivity, made him a roll model, someone to point to and say here is a reason to respect senior citizens; here is a reason why journalism is important.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:09 pm
A very poignant commentary considering the events of this week:

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:38 am
Listening to the NPR tribute to Schorr, I feel his loss more than I felt the loss of Walter Cronkite. Who will keep the flame of journalism alive?

i never made it beyond the rookie job and I longed to switch to book publishing and to become the next Nan Talese (ha), but, in my heart, I was always a journalist.

I think closing the foreign bureaus was a mistake of the magnitude of the US dismantling the national rail system. I say that not because I am a romantic or because I think backwards, but, because despite technical innovations, despite occasional lulls in the utility of institutions like journalism and rail travel, there are ideas that are basic, so good and so vital that we, as a society, turn our backs on them at our own peril.

The internet is not necessarily more democratic although it has allowed intelligent and introspective people a voice. The internet is the 100 Years War and the Wild West rolled into one improbable ball, lawless, destructive and disordered.

Schorr was sometimes lawless but never disordered and certainly never destructive.
0 Replies