Gluten-free recipes

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:01 pm
@CalamityJane,
I make my own candied orange peel, easy peasy and it makes the house smell good, in my opinion. But, it's another task..

Summarizing and old Joy of Cooking recipe -

- peel grapefruit, oranges, lemons or limes to get 2 cups of citrus peel (try not to scrape up very much pulp as that adds to bitterness)
- cover it with 1 1.2 cup cold water

Bring slowly to boiling point. Simmer 10 minutes or longer, drain. Re[eat 3 to 5 times in all, draining well each time.

For each cup of peel make a syrup of 1.4 cup of water, 1/2 cup of sugar
Add peel and boil until all syrup is absorbed and the peel is translucent. Roll peel in powdered sugar, spread on racks to dry. May be chocolate coated..

I do this about once a year and freeze the peel in baggies. I love it as candy..

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:04 pm
@ossobuco,
oh wow, thank you osso, that's a good recipe for it.
Of course, I have a German store near by and can buy it there Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:07 pm
@ossobuco,
oops, that's one and a half c of water and later in the recipe one fourth cup. Am messing up my dots and slashes today.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:08 pm
@CalamityJane,
and a simplified, flourless choco-dipped florentine

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2008/06/chocolatedipped_1.html

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2207/2537838987_bd6c9b0056_o.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Ooooooh, that looks good (like Lebovitz..)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:13 pm
@ehBeth,
mmhhh, florentines are good in any form and shape, aren't they?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
I love them - with or without the chocolate. They're a softer version of a brittle. Nuts, sweets, a bit of salt. I don't think you can beat the combination.

.. which makes me think of wonderful salted caramels a Taunton friend used to make and sell <thud> private moment perfection
Swimpy

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 06:50 am
@ehBeth,
Florentiners are on my Christmas baking list for sure.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:08 pm
I'm baking a pumpkin pie with a gluten-free pie crust made from a mix. I pre-baked the crust and I have to say it smells weird. I probably should have added more water that the package said because I wasn't able to roll it out. I ended up patting it into the pan. I'm sure Ian will eat it without complaint.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:32 pm
@Swimpy,
Swimpy, you always can have a back-up plan..uh pumpkin pie with a regular crust.
I am making the florentines this afternoon (I have such cravings for it now) as well as a chocolate cake.

Swimpy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:57 pm
@CalamityJane,
There will definitely by pumpkin pie with a regular crust.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:03 pm
@Swimpy,
Pumpkin pie works well with no crust... or is it Pumpkin custard.

Either way, put a little of the pie filling in a glass pie dish with no crust. Your gluten free family members will thank you.
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:17 pm
It looks like I gave away my cookbook once it turned out my son was not gluten intolerant but I remember making appetizers from thinly sliced almonds and parmesan cheese. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and make small (maybe 1 to 1 1/2 inch across) piles of almonds. Sprinkle with parmesan. Bake in 350 oven just until parmesan melts and glues toasted almonds together.

You can make muffins too substituting the flour with ground nuts (walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts) and the milk with applesauce and/or banana. They don't get very tall but they're delicious. I remember buying gluten free baking soda and baking powder.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:17 pm
@ebrown p,
Yep, I always made pumpkin custard if there was leftover pie filling. It's delicious.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:20 pm
If my life was gluten-free I'd seriously consider suicide. as to pumpkin pie, yes americans have some odd traditions and pumpkin pie is just one of them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 03:47 pm
Just listening in -- my mother-in-law also recently decided she was gluten-intolerant and I'm looking for recipes for stuff to cook for her while she's here but also resources to send her. Great stuff here, thanks everyone!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:24 am
@Swimpy,
http://www.chow.com/recipes/11287

Salty Hazelnut Brittle Recipe
Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 01:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I think brittles are just the ticket. Tenk ya!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 05:07 pm
@Swimpy,
I'm planning to make some brittle on one of the next couple of weekends. Sugar/salt/nuts. Yup, I'll like it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 02:31 pm
bookmarking
0 Replies