fuel pump/sending unit

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 07:36 pm
hello, own a 1990 f250 . both fuel pumps are bad. replacing pump in front tank first. wire for float broke off. will fuel pump and sending unit work without it or will it cause a problem for either one . thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,900 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 09:06 pm
@goose454,
the gauge will not work on that tank.

the pump should not be affected by the sending unit wire.

(you can probably simply reconnect the wire)
Ionus

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 01:36 am
@goose454,
Ensure the wires are not broken or repaired where they will meet fumes.
goose454

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 02:51 pm
@Ionus,
thank you for your help. i crimped the new fuel pump wires to the existing wires attached to the sending unit . the existing wires are fixed , sort of riveted to the sending unit , and exposed inside the top of the tank. sinse the existing ones are exposed , what is the harm of the repair? (just asking , not being a wiseass) and again thank you for your help.
goose454

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 03:03 pm
@Rockhead,
thank you for you help. tried resoldering wire to plate ( it's a ceramic plate inside the plastic box ) but it didn't hold. i crimped the new wires to the old wires on the sending unit . will that cause a problem? again thanks for your help
Rockhead

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 03:11 pm
@goose454,
"will that cause a problem?"

no.

you should be fine.

can you seal the splice with shrink tubing or good tape?
Ionus

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 04:59 pm
@goose454,
I dont think the vehicle was manufactured with a crimped connection to a wire in the fuel tank. If it was then that is not legal in a lot of countries. Maybe this is why vehicles always explode in movies... Very Happy Remember a 747 blowing up in mid air just off the east coast ? That was a spark in fuel vapour, and that was only AVTUR.

What I would do is not use tape as most of them come apart in petrol. Heat shrink is best. Put one over the repair. If there are two repairs side by side, heat shrink both with another over the top of them. This will prevent shorting, and in the worst case if it does occur, will keep it under the overall heat shrink. Remember to have the larger one already loosely on the wires out of the way before shrinking the smaller ones. The heat shrink needs to be loosely placed on the wires before you crimp it so I dont know what you want to do about that. Perhaps someone makes a special tape suitable for use in fuel ?

The harm may be that over time or in the event of an accident the repair causes a spark when surrounded by fuel vapour. The best case then is that you lose a valuable vehicle. The worst case...
goose454

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 05:21 pm
@Rockhead,
thanks again for your help, take care....
0 Replies

goose454

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 05:21 pm
@Ionus,
yup , i remember....thanks again and take care...
0 Replies