Anyone here use a roaster oven?

chai2

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:03 am
I just saw one on sale at Target. 18 qts, $27.00

If you buy a turkey too, you get a $15.00 gift card.

Mostly what I use my oven for it chicken, pork loin, banana bread, biscuts, roasts, maybe a meatloaf.
Seems like this would save electricity, and keep the kitchen from getting heated up.
Will it do things like baked goods?

http://images.smarter.com/300x300x15/51/42/5725942.jpg

Also, I'm thinking of getting a bread machine.
I've watched some videos, and never realized how easy they are to use.

I like the idea of being able to control what goes into my food.
I'm not into fancy breads. I just want to be able to make a variety of wheat based breads.

I've read reviews on models as low as $40, and for the non-gourmet, they seem really good. I could later use the $15 gift card towards that.

Opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 4,531 • Replies: 24

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:13 am
I haven't! Here are some favorable reviews though from epinion.com. They also have price comparisons and it seems $ 27.00 is a steal!

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Waring_Professional_18_Qt_Roaster_Oven

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:14 am
The roaster is a good idea if you cook a lot.

The bread machine (IMO) is waste of money. Most people get them, use them for about a month and then never use them again.

If you want to make bread, make bread. It's one of the great sensual experiences and, if you are making whole wheat bread, takes long enough to get some other things done in the process.

Joe(I miss by big bread board.)Nation
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:45 am
@Joe Nation,
Bread machines are a second favorite item for sale at yard sales. (The first most sold item is exercise equipt).

All the above require effort, something that AMericans are not fond of.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:53 am
@Joe Nation,
That's true! Bread can be so easy to make.
Flour (wheat), yeast, warm water, salt - mix together and knead for at least
10 minutes. Cover with a cloth and let the dough rest for 45 min. at room temperature; form the dough into a loaf (or place into bread form). Set the oven at your highest setting, put the loaf in; after 5 min sprinkle generously with water (good crust) and reduce the heat to 350. Bake for approx. 45 min and repeatedly sprinkle with water.

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
I've got an even easier one that doesn't require any kneading (or yeast, I believe). It's called Country Bread (and one called City Bread) on Michael Smith's Chef At Home site. Easy.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:28 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

The bread machine (IMO) is waste of money. Most people get them, use them for about a month and then never use them again.

If you want to make bread, make bread. It's one of the great sensual experiences and, if you are making whole wheat bread, takes long enough to get some other things done in the process.

Joe(I miss by big bread board.)Nation

I thought long on if it would be a waste of money or not for me, and here's what I came up with....

I'm a lousy baker.
Good cook, but lousy baker.

I know I would never get out all the ingredients, roll out dough, let it rise twice, do the actually baking, then clean up the mess.

I know my limitations, and what I'm willing and not willing to do a couple of times a week, and baking bread with my own 2 hands just ain't gonna happen. When I say I use the oven to make biscuits, I'm talking the pillsbury wheat ones you pop out of a can. Actually, I don't do that, Wally does. I don't like biscuit.

Banana bread, I make that every week because we always have bananas getting over ripe.
That is the limit of what I'm willing to do hands on with flour, because it involves 1 bowl, 1 potato masher and 1 measuring cup. Takes less than 5 minutes for me to mix together, and 35 minutes to bake.....oh, and a couple of 8 x 8 pans.

Watching how a bread machine is used, it looks like all I'd need is a measuring cup.
You dump in the ingredients in the proper order, push a button, and walk away.
I've never had a problem getting ingredients out and put away.
That's even less work than banana bread.

Also, I'm tired of paying $3 a loaf or more for bread.

I'm curious. Why do you suppose people end up not using them, if they are so easy to use?

chai2

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

That's true! Bread can be so easy to make.
Flour (wheat), yeast, warm water, salt - mix together and knead for at least
10 minutes. Cover with a cloth and let the dough rest for 45 min. at room temperature; form the dough into a loaf (or place into bread form). Set the oven at your highest setting, put the loaf in; after 5 min sprinkle generously with water (good crust) and reduce the heat to 350. Bake for approx. 45 min and repeatedly sprinkle with water.

you lost me at knead for a least 10 minutes.... Laughing
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:49 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Why do you suppose people end up not using them, if they are so easy to use?
Because paying $3 is even easier.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Bread machines are a second favorite item for sale at yard sales. (The first most sold item is exercise equipt).

You just brought back a repressed memory Wink

I'm wondering how many of those bread machines were gifts? Ones that the recipient never expressed any desire to have one?

When I was, oh, maybe 7 or 8 years old, my father bought my mother a sewing machine for Christmas. I don't know anything about sewing machines from 40 years ago (or today for that matter), but it must have been a nice one, because it was in a built in cabinet, if that means anything.

I had never in my life, either before or after that time, seen my mother ever do so much as thread a needle.

I have a feeling my mother gave my father a piece of her mind about that particular gift, because after that it seemed she always got jewelry on gift giving occassions.
That sewing machine sat there for at least a couple of decades, never used.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:57 pm
Yeah, I got a cookie jar and cookie cutters. Guess who didn't get any cookies for a while?

My sister uses her bread machine all the time - well, whenever she wants bread. She doesn't buy bread anymore.

She's a real health nut, putting flax and wheat germ and whatnot in everything. She uses whole wheat flour, and adds nuts and seeds and things. She also adds flax seed oil or grapeseed oil... whatever she feels like. So that's a good reason to be making your own bread.

Why not see if you can get a good used one for under $20 and then if you don't use it, you haven't lost much.

I love homemade bread, but I'm just not a big bread eater.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:02 pm
@chai2,
Are slow cookers the same as roaster ovens?

Never mind ... I found this article comparing the two appliances as separate in their own different cooking universes.
http://housewares.about.com/od/crockpotsslowcookers/f/slowckrorroastn.htm

This is my baby ... All-Clad 99009 Stainless-Steel 6-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker...
ain't she adorable?!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41c2L6oWwlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
chai2

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:09 pm
@Mame,
yeah, that's what I'm talking about mame.

I don't eat a lot of bread, but Wally does.

well, we go through a couple of loaves a week. I think he eats bread at every meal.

That's encouraging that your sister uses it.

Oh, btw, I bought the roaster.

$27, normally $40, 18 qts and came with a separate 3 sectioned warming dish for vegetables and sides.

For $27 bucks, I'll get my money's worth.

I about it at a non-super target, so they didn't have turkeys, but I'll save the receipt and go get one, at a super target, and get the $15 gift card.

Honestly? I'm not going to wander around looking a garage sales and stuff, just not my thing. The time, driving around, frustration wouldn't be worth it to me.

I'd rather just buy cheap one off of Amazon, get free shipping and have it delivered to my door.
chai2

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Are slow cookers the same as roaster ovens?

Never mind ... I found this article comparing the two appliances as separate in their own different cooking universes.
http://housewares.about.com/od/crockpotsslowcookers/f/slowckrorroastn.htm

This is my baby ... All-Clad 99009 Stainless-Steel 6-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker...
ain't she adorable?!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41c2L6oWwlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

ok, I take that back, I did buy my crock pot/slow cooker from goodwill, and I have purchased 2 irons in my lifetime from the same.

I use the crock pot on a regular enough basis, and I iron my clothes by putting whatever I'm going to wear in the dryer, with a few t-shirts to the clothes will move around freely, and a pair of underwear I ran some water on to create steam. 5 minutes and it' a done deal.

One time, again in Target, I was in the small appliance aisle, and overheard a couple discussing which iron to buy. They were trying to decide between a $50 one and a $70 one.

WTF?

ok, you plug the thing in, it gets hot, you push it around over your clothes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:17 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I'd rather just buy cheap one off of Amazon, get free shipping and have it delivered to my door.

Buyer beware ... to quote an unknown source ... "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys."

Always going for the cheapest in the bunch don't get frustrated if it breaks after 2 uses.
chai2

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, in the research I did, people who bought the $40 one were no less happy than the ones who bought the $200 one.

Now, the $200 people were often saying how they liked theirs because of all the different things it would do, that it had 8000 settings, made jam, steamed rice, made all types of breads, tricksy types.

The people who bought the $60 and under said their machine made bread.

Christ, how much jam do you need to make in a year?

Also, I've never understood the need for a rice steamer.

Boiling pot of water, salt, little oil or butter, rice....and in 20 to 45 minutes (white/brown) you have......rice!

Again, I'm not such a gourmet I suppose.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:49 pm
here's a thought...

take a $60 bread machine.

pay some engineers to make it really cool. add a few functions.

pay some marketing guys to convince folks how much they need the added functions.

you now have a $200 bread machine.

anyway. what was the question again?
chai2

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:03 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

here's a thought...

take a $60 bread machine.

pay some engineers to make it really cool. add a few functions.

pay some marketing guys to convince folks how much they need the added functions.

you now have a $200 bread machine.

anyway. what was the question again?

oh....another thing, and this is from my personal experience buying off of Amazon....

There have been lots of times I bought an item from them, that retailed at a store for 50-100% more....

For instance, look at this cuisanart bread machine that retails for $195, and you can buy it from Amazon for $90, less than half the price, plus free shipping. It has almost 4.5 stars out of 5 over 26 reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CBK-100-Programmable-Breadmaker/dp/B001C2KY7Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1258318345&sr=1-15

Then again, this $55 one got 4 stars over 444 reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-5891-2-Pound-Programmable-Breadmaker/dp/B00067REBU/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1258318770&sr=1-39

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 08:55 pm
@chai2,
My sister would save the bread machine in a fire rather than most of her other appliances. With a family, you go through bread, and as I said, she's a real health nut. You go, girl, with the bread machine. And I agree about the hassle of finding a used one. I normally only do that for big items, like CARS and HOUSES Smile And what's $40, anyway?

By the way, the Calgary Stampeders beat the Edmonton Eskimos in football tonight. That means Calgary is IN (at Numero 2 spot) and Edmonton is OUT. Saskatchewan is already #1 in the standings in the Western Division. So to determine the winner of the Western Division, the Saskatchewan RoughRiders will play the Calgary Stampeders. For the Eastern Division, the BC Lions (who play in the Western Division but got moved to the Eastern division - don't ask) just beat the Hamilton Tigercats (in O/T) and they have to face off against the Numero Uno Contender, the Montreal Alouettes to determine the Eastern Division Finalist. The winner of that big game will play the winner of the Western Division (Sask and Calgary) in the GREY CUP.

Whoo hoo!

Just thought you'd wanna know.
chai2

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 06:58 am
@Mame,
Go Stampeders.
0 Replies