BAKING A PUMPKIN OR SQUASH

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 12:39 pm
I heard that you could bake a pumpkin with vegetables inside. HOWS this done? I dont know any websites . ANy favorites out there that can incorporate BACON into the recipe? (I love bacon)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 4,086 • Replies: 28
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
littlek

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 12:47 pm
Farmerman, I sometimes bake a little stew type dish inside mini pumpkins. Prepare the pumpkin as you would for halloween, but don't carve a face - cut off the top and scrape out the strings and seeds inside. If you'll want to eat the pumpkin flesh with your stew, slash at the inside of the hollow and rub wth salt. Add a few tablespoons of broth (for a small pumpkin) and toss in your ingredients (bacon would work, maybe sausage would be better). Bake. Of course if'n you want a proper recipe.... I could find my old copy.
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 12:51 pm
@littlek,
OOH OOH, that sounds like I could do it. So you slash up the pumpkin meat so that its easily scooped out with the stew.
Im thinking,
bacon,
kielbasi
white beans
small onions
dried corn
small hunks of kale
some small cayennes
some sesame seeds baked off first
maybe some taters if I can figure out how to get this all heated and done at the same time.

Do you put the pumpkin in a bigger baking dish (I suppose that it starts sagging after a bit in the oven).

How do those ingredients sound together?
chai2

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:05 pm
@farmerman,
yummy, except for the potatos.

I'd serve them separately.
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:10 pm
@chai2,
really? maybe your right. How bout some other veggies?
No sugar , Im not making a pie, and Ive had some pumpkin that was cooked as chunks and served with butter and sugar and truthfully, I thought it was waay too sweet, but I hate candied sweet potatoes, the yams or sweet taters have such a nice nutty flavor on their own, why **** em up with maple syrup or sugar.
0 Replies

ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:19 pm
@farmerman,
Baked stuffed squash/baked stuffed pumpkin are pretty traditional presentations. The only thing you have to watch out for is that you're using a baking pumpkin vs a carving pumpkin.

Baked Pumpkins Stuffed with Sausage and Sag

Baked Pumpkin with Oregano and Pancetta

Baked Stuffed Pumpkin
roger

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 02:25 pm
@littlek,
Of course, you want to seal the tops with tape before putting it into the microwave so you know when it's done. When it explodes, it is done.
littlek

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 02:32 pm
@roger,
Roger, that would be fun! But, you remind me - cover the pumpkin with tinfoil and bake in an oven.
roger

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 02:51 pm
@littlek,
One of those bachelor cooking tips.

Acorn squash is dead simple. Cut in half, scoop out the innards, fill the hole with butter and bake till tender. I never tried tinfoil.
Mame

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 03:13 pm
@roger,
Just saves on the mess, Rogie. Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 03:34 pm
Its got to be jungs theory of sincronicity.

As you know we dont do anything halloweeny or thanksgivingy here at all however my wife and I were just discussing this method of cooking a pumpkin last night.

Cut the top off, sccop out the flesh discard seeds. Cut the pumpkin flesh into bite size pieces add corn, carrots, broccoli (any other vegetable you like). If meat is required brown the meat in a pan first. Bake in a camp oven over hot coals.
The trick will be how much flesh you leave inside the pumpkin and how long it gets cooked for
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 04:02 pm
@roger,
roger, I must be a bachelor.

my favorite squash is delicata. I like it because it looks like a circus tent.

http://www.harvestwizard.com/delicata_squashR.jpg
I just just it in half, scoop out the seeds, the hack the thing to pieces.

then I saute them w/ onion, mushrooms whatever.

then I dump an indeterminate amount of some type of liquid/broth in there and simmer for a few minutes.

if you want, you can take one of those hand mixer thingies and liquify it, adding some sour cream.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 04:24 pm
@ehBeth,
I have selected Beth as the answer I most want to try. Im especially interested in the Sausage and Sag. I wonder whether I should add some bit of a brothto the scooped out punkins
ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 04:28 pm
@farmerman,
Sausage and sage is definitely my favourite combo. Nice homemade broth helps soften up the pumpkin.

(didja know that Julia Child did a stuffed pumpkin recipe?)
Ceili

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 05:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Yummm. I'm going to try this too.

Could somebody please tell me how to give the best answer thingy?
roger

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 05:32 pm
@Ceili,
You can't. You didn't start the thread.
Green Witch

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 06:02 pm
I find it's better not to make the soup in the actual pumpkin, but rather clean out a separate pumpkin for serving in. I once did the bake the soup in the pumpkin thing and ended up with soup all over my oven. Do the soup in a pot and transfer to a warm big pumpkin.

http://beautifulwork.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/pumpkin-soup-sm.jpg?w=303&h=294
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 06:30 pm
@roger,
How do you do if you did start a thread?
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 07:15 pm
@Ceili,
Thank you, and how do you do right back.

GW, youd get a star thing too but I can only give one. Even in Catholic school, e had gold stars , green stars and blue stars.

I like the soup in the shell idea. This would make a great fishstew Id bet.
dadpad

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 07:34 pm
Its funny how what goes around comes around.

Dried gourds were used as serving and storage vessels in many cultures before the advent of pottery.