$2 Million Car in Salt Marsh - youtube

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 09:28 am
Edgar:
I have been around movie and news photographers for thirty five years or so. That was the steadiest camera work I have ever seen of a car crash.

Something smells.
Joe(and it's not the leather seats... .)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 09:53 am
My take is a little different. To me, the last video sort of disproves the owner's story. No pelican, car drives smoothly into the water.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 10:17 am
@edgarblythe,
Still... what are the odds of someone being there to accidentally document the crash?

The fact that there wasn't a pelican also adds rather then subtracts from the possibility that this was a PR hoax of some kind. Maybe the creators of the video weren't tech savvy enough to digitally add an animated pelican to the final product and hoped no one would notice the conflict in the stories.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 10:20 am
@tsarstepan,
By the time the insurance and news people get through analyzing the event to death, I predict the owner will be accused, maybe charged, with a fraud.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 10:37 am
@edgarblythe,
driver to be charged by EPA with disturbing a protected wet-land.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 10:53 am
this whole deal smells funny...

and anyone buys that car is an idjit.

(salt water and fancy schmancy is a bad mix)

I can see the advert.

one very famous, lightly used Bugatti. (salvage title) Rolling Eyes
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 12:28 pm
@Rockhead,
It would make a fine paperweight, rock.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 03:49 pm
Andy Lee House, 34, owner of Performance Auto Sales, told The Daily News on Wednesday that a low-flying pelican distracted him, causing him to jerk the steering wheel a bit " and he then dropped his cell phone.

The crash, however, was captured by someone filming the car as it traveled on the northbound frontage road of Interstate 45 about 3 p.m. Wednesday.

The man filming was traveling north on I-45. No pelican was visible in the video, which shows the car veering from the road and splashing in the lagoon.

With the Veyron in more than 2 feet of saltwater, House declined to give his name at the scene near Omega Bay.

Driver Offers Thanks

House posted a comment to The Lufkin Daily News, thanking everyone who was worried about him and the car.

“I have taken my exotic cars to school events, rallies, and allow anyone to take pictures of my cars and even rides in them,” House wrote. “I have allowed many people into my home to see my cars that I don’t even know. ... Say what you want about me, but there is a man in heaven right now looking over me and that’s all that matters!”

The 2006 Veyron is thought to have been one of only 200 made and one of only 15 in the United States. A 2006 model was for sale in Jonesboro, Ark., for $1.25 million. One of the prospective buyers was from Texas, The Associated Press reported in October.

Police Report Released

A police report, made public Friday, lists House as the driver and owner. The pelican caught his eye as it was quite close to colliding with the car, House said. House never said he was using the cell phone at the time. Dropping it added to the distraction just enough, sending the front passenger wheel off the road and into the soft, sloppy, muddy shoulder.

A Daily News reporter arrived at the scene about 15 minutes after the car entered the water just in time to see the gurgling exhaust stop bubbling like an outboard motor as the 1,001 horsepower engine died.

House, who was looking at real estate in Galveston the day of the crash, was not injured. The Veyron is capable of speeds of more than 253 mph, but House hadn’t risked driving it on a private fast track to test the limits, namely because the insurance company wouldn’t cover any resulting mishap, he said.

Insurance Company Takes Car

House called Gilbert Harrison, the tow truck driver who carefully winched the Veyron from the lagoon, telling him it was OK to release the car Friday to the insurance company. No information on the extent of the damage to the car’s electrical system, engine and components was available.

Harrison remembered House saying his phone rang frequently after the crash.

House seemed quite calm, Harrison said.

“What I told him was I’d be as gentle as possible,” Harrison said of the tow that cost less than $1,000. “I did this tow like I do every car " like it was my own.”

Lufkin Daily News reporter Jessica Cooley contributed to this story.

This story was brought to you through our partnership with the Galveston Daily News.
0 Replies