Ma Po Tofu
Recipe by Kylie Kwong from Kylie Kwong My China
Ingredients Chilli Paste
* 1 large Red chilli
* 1 teaspoon sea salt
* 1 teaspoon dried Chilli Flake
* ½ teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 300 g packet of silken tofu
* 2 tablespoons Peanut Oil
* 200 g fatty Pork Mince ground pork
* 2½ cm piece of Ginger cut into thin strips
* 2 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon salted black bean
* ¼ cup shao hsing wine
* 1 teaspoon dark Soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon brown sugar
* 1 cup Water
* ½ teaspoon Sichuan salt and pepper
* 1 large Red chilli finely sliced on the diagonal - optional
Method Chilli Paste
* First, make the chilli paste. Cut chilli in half lengthways and scrape out seeds using a spoon. Finely dice chilli and pound to a fine paste with salt, chilli flakes and peppercorns using a mortar and pestle, blender or small food processor.
* Stir in vegetable oil and set aside.
* Gently remove tofu from packet and invert onto a plate. Carefully cut into 20 cubes by cutting lengthways into four equal slices, then widthways into five slices, draining off any excess liquid.
* Meanwhile, heat oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly.
* Add pork and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Remove pork with a slotted spoon and set aside.
* Add chilli paste to wok with ginger, garlic and black beans, then reduce heat and stir-fry on low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
* Return pork to wok with wine and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add soy sauce and sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Pour in water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and carefully slide tofu into wok, gently separating the cubes as they fall into the pork mixture. Simmer, covered, for 3 minutes.
* Spoon into a shallow bowl, sprinkle with Sichuan pepper and salt. Garnish.