Worldwide poll: Vast majority say capitalism not working

High Seas

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:46 pm
@panzade,
Panzade - always good to see you too; happy Thanksgiving.
High Seas

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 04:42 pm
@High Seas,
Courtesy of Walter we now have links to Russian archives for the relevant period - confirming my account of events Smile
Quote:
Gorbachev, unlike his demeanor regarding Germany at Malta (see reference in Document No. 4), does go "ballistic" in this conversation. This is perhaps because he is receiving the German foreign minister, Hans Dietrich Genscher, who heads a separate political party from Kohl but participates in the coalition government, but more likely it is because Bush has apparently weighed in on Kohl's side, despite the cautious talk at Malta, and the government in East Germany has collapsed. ...."

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB296/index.htm
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:02 pm
It occurs to me that with this thread Walter may really be trying to distract himself from the truly dismal showing of his beloved SPD in the recent elections in Germany.
Foofie

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 07:44 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It occurs to me that with this thread Walter may really be trying to distract himself from the truly dismal showing of his beloved SPD in the recent elections in Germany.

Also, why do people give credence to polls, that are not political polls in voting democracies (where everyone gets one vote), since the bellcurve really shows that the many people in polls might not be qualified to give a meaningful response?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:08 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

No. I've no influence to persuade the BBC starting a poll.

(And re SPD-result: I'd thought, they even would get less.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:11 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Also, why do people give credence to polls, that are not political polls in voting democracies (where everyone gets one vote), since the bellcurve really shows that the many people in polls might not be qualified to give a meaningful response?

Well, I admit that we get two votes. You may think that this is not democratic - we have a different opinion.

Certainly many people aren't qualified in some others opinions to give a meaningful response - that's why polls don't ask for such but give you alternatives to make a cross, say 'yes' or 'no' or 'don't know' and such.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 02:18 am

"Worldwide poll: Vast majority say capitalism not working"

ADAM SMITH FOR PRESIDENT!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 02:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
....(And re SPD-result: I'd thought, they even would get less.)....

Walter - well, your Chancellor was in Pittsburgh the week before the election and she worried about the opposite happening. Btw, your thread title could be corrected to read "Capitalism is working much too efficiently" (btw, there's a German word, reibungslos, which is unfortunately untranslatable in this sense of "frictionless"), considering the scary historical parallels drawn by arguably the greatest living historian:
Quote:
If the United States doesn't come up soon with a credible plan to restore the federal budget to balance over the next five to 10 years, the danger is very real that a debt crisis could lead to a major weakening of American power.......The precedents are certainly there. Habsburg Spain defaulted on all or part of its debt 14 times between 1557 and 1696 and also succumbed to inflation due to a surfeit of New World silver. Prerevolutionary France was spending 62 percent of royal revenue on debt service by 1788. The Ottoman Empire went the same way: interest payments and amortization rose from 15 percent of the budget in 1860 to 50 percent in 1875. And don't forget the last great English-speaking empire. By the interwar years, interest payments were consuming 44 percent of the British budget, making it intensely difficult to rearm in the face of a new German threat.

Call it the fatal arithmetic of imperial decline. Without radical fiscal reform, it could apply to America next.....

http://www.newsweek.com/id/224694/output/print
0 Replies