Picture Your Post - cost £115.... <gobsmacked>

Izzie

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 06:34 pm
so, I go to Picture My Post about 2.5-3 hours ago, clicked on a picture to post (as you do normally, without any problems) ... and ... my laptop went mad. I was infected Shocked

Didn't click on any pop ups... nothing. It just started flashing all over and flew into explorer saying I had 107 trojans here, 7 trojans there, a worm...

blah blah blah...

so

got straight into Norton360 and onto live chat within minutes of this happening, where they then remoted in and have cleaned up my machine and given me a PC Tune Up. This has taken over 2.5 hours. I have been guaranteed I am completely safe now <notes panic on faces of folk I email -really, I'm safe>

Now what I don't really understand is that if I have 3 separate antivirus and anti spyware software programmes...(Norton360, McAfee and AVG) how does this happen? The nice man on the end of the remote did try to explain what a Trojan Downloader was and what it had done... but I don't really understand it. Surely there is software to prevent this happening.

Anyhoo... he said

I am glad to inform you that all the infected system files and temporary files from your pc has be removed and now your system is totally clean and safe. And also I have checked all the locations for any possible infection.

and none of my personal files have been affected and I haven't lost anything.

He did do an awful lot to tidy up my laptop and change things around... I think he was being extra helpful and thorough.

but it's just cost £115 Shocked

(like I have dosh to throw around at this time of year)

Gobsmacked.

(and he said "In spite of the long time, you have been very co-operative with me on the chat. I wish I could have a lot of customers like you."

ok... i feel slightly better.

oof.

Robert, DrewDad.... you guys this stuff. Can you explain so even I can understand why we pay for security programmes if they still let stuff thru.

Thanks lads... and any lasses who may know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,227 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:17 pm
@Izzie,
Some websites are called malicious sites. They're so sinister, you don't have to actually download or right click on anything to get infected. All you have to do is visit the site.

Consider an antivirus software like a flu shot. They can only defend you against the strains they know about. Since the bad guys are constantly changing their code ... its an arms race between antivirus software firms and hackers/virus programmer.

You got my condolences on the system infection. Sounded painfully stressful. Sad

Izzie

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks Tsar

The guy tried to explain that there was nothing that can stop these trojans. All I did is click a picture and whoosh, bang, wallop... it started flashing red and all these windows starting appearing telling me I had a multitude of infections.

I do believe they're gone - he did a LOT of work with registry entries and stuff that is all gobbledeegook to me....

reasonably assured...

just lotta dosh to pay out for clicking on a picture. ACK!

I don't access dodgy websites (well, ya know the type I mean), but, didn't make a difference. This was a pic of a car number plate. Nasty nasty.

Nem'mind. Fixed. But I'll be a little more wary now I suppose. Just hope no-one else clicks on something like that.

Norton were EXCELLENT in their response and fix. It's just ahhhhhh... a lot of dosh - but, can't do without my connection to the world - worth it I guess Razz

Tired. Gotta go bed. Thanks hun. x
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:35 pm
@Izzie,
Avez une bonne nuit. Your poor laptop must be tired as well. What an ordeal!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:36 pm
@Izzie,
Shocked

Crikey, Iz!

What shocker.

I wish I could help, or explain, or something ... but I'll leave that to the experts.

Good luck!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:37 pm
@Izzie,
There are ways to keep yourself completely safe, but most of them require you to boot from a CD or DVD, and run diskless.

There's a program called sandboxie that's supposed to be good, too, but it requires some effort to learn how to use it.

Otherwise, make sure that you keep your computer up-to-date with patches, virus definitions, etc.
0 Replies