How do I delete programs that don't show up in the uninstall programs page/list?

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 04:13 am
Hi Guys,

I have tried to delete the programs, but it says I don't have permission. I tried to change the permissions and it says I have full control, but it still will not let me delete the program because I don't have permission. I am so confused and I have a couple of programs like this windows defender being one of them. Is there any one out there that can help? Please and thanks for your answers.

Thanks and Regards,
Steven Dilley
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 7,583 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 06:47 am
@Steven Dilley,
That can be a sign of spyware.

You'll need to google "spyware removal" (use the quotation marks). I wish I could help you more, but the guy who was very good at that passed away a few years ago.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 09:09 am
@jespah,
Google the Major Geeks website. They'll have spyware removal utilities for you to use and will walk you through it each step of the way.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 12:36 am
@Steven Dilley,
Windows Defender isn't spyware. As long as you use Windows OS, you just might be stuck with Windows Defender.
0 Replies

buildingplanner

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 06:23 am
@Steven Dilley,
You can use the regedit tool to search through the registry, locate the program information you need, then uninstall that program using the command prompt.

Thanks

DuncanJones

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 12:27 am
@Steven Dilley,
Hello Friends,

In a perfect world, every program on your computer would be listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" utility in the Control Panel, and they would all remove without any problems. But sometimes files get corrupted over time, or a program is changed in some way so that it can no longer be fully removed from "Add/Remove Programs," and sometimes programs just don't show up there. But there are a few simple steps you can take to remove just about any program, whether it is listed in the "Add/Remove Program" utility or not.
1. Try several times to remove a program with the "Add/Remove Program" utility before trying anything else. Sometimes, for whatever reason, the program just needs a little convincing to remove itself. Also be aware that for some larger programs -- and even some smaller ones -- removal can take several minutes. If nothing happens, don't mistake this for failure. Let the process go until you get a message saying the removal has failed.
2. Exit the "Add/Remove Program" utility and go to "My Computer," sometimes called just "Computer." This can be accessed from the Start Menu. Access the C Drive, then "Program Files." You may see one labeled "Program Files" and another named "Program Files (x86)." This just means you will have to repeat step three twice in both locations to find what you're looking for.
3. Look for the program in the "Program Files" folder and the "Program Files (x86)" folder if you have one. Folder names are often the manufacturer name and not the program name, which can make finding them difficult, so try searching for the program if you can't find it. For Windows XP, use the search button, and on Windows Vista and Windows 7, use the search bar in the upper-right corner.
4. Locate the program in your "Program Files" folder and navigate there. In the main folder, you may find a file called "uninstall.exe" or something similar to "unins000.exe." Some larger programs will have a more complex file structure and you may have to go hunting for these files. You can do a search like the one described in the previous step to speed up the process. Once you've found this file, double click it and it will take you through the uninstall process. If this also fails to uninstall the program or you cant find such a file, move on to the next step.
5. Navigate back out of the program's folder so that you find yourself in the main "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folder. At this point, the best that you can do is to remove the program's files. This may leave files in other places or references to the program in the registry, but it will at least remove the bulk of the program's files. Locate the folder that you found the program in, double check to make sure it's the right one, then delete it.

Thanks and Regards
Duncan Jones
0 Replies

AgiliRon

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 04:26 am
@Steven Dilley,
Hello Friends,

Every program on your computer would be listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" utility in the Control Panel, and they would all remove without any problems. But sometimes files get corrupted over time, or a program is changed in some way so that it can no longer be fully removed from "Add/Remove Programs," and sometimes programs just don't show up there. But there are a few simple steps you can take to remove just about any program, whether it is listed in the "Add/Remove Program" utility or not.
1. Try several times to remove a program with the "Add/Remove Program" utility before trying anything else. Sometimes, for whatever reason, the program just needs a little convincing to remove itself. Also be aware that for some larger programs -- and even some smaller ones -- removal can take several minutes. If nothing happens, don't mistake this for failure. Let the process go until you get a message saying the removal has failed.
2. Exit the "Add/Remove Program" utility and go to "My Computer," sometimes called just "Computer." This can be accessed from the Start Menu. Access the C Drive, then "Program Files." You may see one labeled "Program Files" and another named "Program Files (x86)." This just means you will have to repeat step three twice in both locations to find what you're looking for.
3. Look for the program in the "Program Files" folder and the "Program Files (x86)" folder if you have one. Folder names are often the manufacturer name and not the program name, which can make finding them difficult, so try searching for the program if you can't find it. For Windows XP, use the search button, and on Windows Vista and Windows 7, use the search bar in the upper-right corner.
4. Locate the program in your "Program Files" folder and navigate there. In the main folder, you may find a file called "uninstall.exe" or something similar to "unins000.exe." Some larger programs will have a more complex file structure and you may have to go hunting for these files. You can do a search like the one described in the previous step to speed up the process. Once you've found this file, double click it and it will take you through the uninstall process. If this also fails to uninstall the program or you cant find such a file, move on to the next step.
5. Navigate back out of the program's folder so that you find yourself in the main "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folder. At this point, the best that you can do is to remove the program's files. This may leave files in other places or references to the program in the registry, but it will at least remove the bulk of the program's files. Locate the folder that you found the program in, double check to make sure it's the right one, then delete it.

Best Regards
Agili Ron
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 05:31 am
@AgiliRon,

uh, did you not see the post directly above?
yannalfopaula

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 12:00 pm
@Region Philbis,
How can i find the thread 'Art Dilema'?

The Search Forum can't find it.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 12:14 pm
@yannalfopaula,

http://able2know.org/topic/28657-1
yannalfopaula

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 12:18 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region your the best! Thankyou.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 12:37 pm
@yannalfopaula,

you're quite welcome, paula...
0 Replies

Qaiser1

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:19 am
@Steven Dilley,
You can uninstall the any programmr of such type that can not be deleted from the programme list. You can uninstall it from 'Regedit' command which we use in run box, and there you first locate your desire programmr that u have to delete and change its binary value fom there.For example if there is 1 set against your programe then change that 1 into 0. Then restart the computer and keep it as before.
0 Replies