At least seven killed in shooting at Fort Hood, Tex.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:12 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

maybe not, in 1830 they still used cap and ball . Dave likes his reloads.
Yeah, I 'd have to take my stuff back with me.

David
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:13 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Being a psychiatrist doesn't necessarily help...we had the Head of Psychiatry at our biggest hospital jump off the roof a couple of years ago, and a few years before that, a de-registered psychiatrist assassinated the woman he blamed for his de-registration, a fellow psychiatrist, and the head of our state mental health services, just outside the lift at her workplace.

I worked in the mental health field for many years. One of the most obvious things that I noticed were that many of the shrinks were nuttier than fruitcakes!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:20 am

Quote:
FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- Soldiers who witnessed the shooting rampage at Fort Hood that left 13 people dead reported that the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar!" - an Arabic phrase for "God is great!" - before opening fire, the base commander said Friday.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FORT_HOOD_SHOOTING?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=news_generic.htm

I really hope that this guy was just a garden variety nutjob. I shudder to think about other possibilities.
Letty

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:27 am
@Phoenix32890,
Me, too, Phoenix. I recall having read A Case of Need by Michael Crichton whose nom de plume was Jeffrey Hudson, and the introduction to the book had two outstanding quotes:

A psychiatrist is someone who knows nothing and does nothing.
A pathologist is someone who knows everything and does everything too late.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:56 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:
FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- Soldiers who witnessed the shooting rampage at Fort Hood that left 13 people dead reported that the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar!" - an Arabic phrase for "God is great!" - before opening fire, the base commander said Friday.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FORT_HOOD_SHOOTING?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=news_generic.htm

I really hope that this guy was just a garden variety nutjob. I shudder to think about other possibilities.
What other possibilities ?
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:

What other possibilities ?

gee i wonder

i'm sure folks are pondering he might be a homegrown terrorist

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
AGAIN ` ` THESE VICTIMS WERE SACRIFICED
ON THE ALTAR OF GUN CONTROL

Somehow, I doubt that lack of guns on an army base is due to gun control hysteria.

Could it be that the military actually has a good idea about what happens when a bunch of people run around armed to the teeth? Even people trained in the use of firearms?

Try to control your obsessive needs, m'kay?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:27 am
@djjd62,

I heard that he was born in America.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:36 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
AGAIN ` ` THESE VICTIMS WERE SACRIFICED
ON THE ALTAR OF GUN CONTROL

Quote:
Somehow, I doubt that lack of guns on an army base is due to gun control hysteria.
It was; whether the soldiers are free to bear arms or not has depended upon their orders.
We can only guess how many of the victims woud have fought back,
shot him sooner and saved many of those casualties.

Quote:
Could it be that the military actually has a good idea about what
happens when a bunch of people run around armed to the teeth?
Even people trained in the use of firearms?
We ALL do,
when we have been in that environment; no trouble.
This was an exception, brought on by the helplessness of the UNARMED victims.

Quote:

Try to control your obsessive needs, m'kay?
No; I will continue to object to recklessly unsafe conditions
that violate the Supreme Law of the Land.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
whether the soldiers are free to bear arms or not has depended upon their orders.

Er... Newsflash: Soldiers aren't free.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

This was an exception, brought on by the helplessness of the UNARMED victims.

No, this was brought on by a nut who started shooting people. Unarmed people, kinda by definition, are unable to "bring on" shootings.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:46 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

joe - I have to agree the others here. Time and place dude. It's not that I disagree with you, nor is the irony lost on the location and access to firearms, but I think that the fact that my mind went there without it being said kind of suggests, that well... it didn't need to be said.

This is tragic enough without cynicism.
K
O

Your concerns have been duly noted.

Joefromchicago's cynical remark merely anticipated the arguments that we are now getting on this thread from OmSigDavid.
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
hence the homegrown terrorist label, if it applies

sometimes even citizens become disillusioned with their country
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:02 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Joefromchicago's cynical remark merely anticipated the arguments that we are now getting on this thread from OmSigDavid.

I think he was trying to make a point that even armed soldiers can be killed by crazed gunmen.

Therefore implying that allowing college students to carry guns to class wouldn't necessarily reduce the chances of taking out crazed gunmen on campus (Virginia tech).

What he didn't understand (neither did TKO) is that soldiers on base in the USA are not armed. Therefore his 'wit' or TKO's 'irony' is non-existant.

He was trying to make a political jab at those who think that arming teachers or students will allow teachers or students to 'take out' a shooter before they can kill 12 people, I mean, even armed soldiers can't 'take out' this shooter, right?

He was making a mockery out of a tragedy.

But don't worry, our concern is duly noted.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:06 am
@wandeljw,
Agreed. Joe did no more than exhibit a prescience about what was -- inevitably -- to come. I, for one, gave him an immediate 'thumbs up.'
maporsche

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:12 am
@Merry Andrew,
Or maybe it wouldn't have happened; I mean he brought it up a whole 3 minutes after it was posted on A2K.

Chicken or egg.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:15 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Or maybe it wouldn't have happened;

Bullshit.

It was the first thing I thought of when I saw there'd been a shooting: here comes I'mSickDavid. Joe beat me to the punch in saying anything, is all.
maporsche

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:21 am
@Merry Andrew,
Yeah, I still think my explanation regarding joe's post is the much more likely one.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:21 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Thanks. I'm glad somebody figured it out without having to be told.
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:23 am
@maporsche,
i expected david to be one of the first responders after i posted the thread

i'm buying JFC's story
saab

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:30 am
@djjd62,
So I am.
As soon as this tragedy was mentioned David would come along and blame it on the victims.
He would probably even blame it on a victim shot in the back.
0 Replies