bathroom tile and grout for shower

CindyM

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 08:38 am
Does anyone know if there is a tile grout that is resistant to mold and mildew? We had a new shower put in last year and the grout is terrible.
Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 27,874 • Replies: 17
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:26 am
There are grouts available that are mold/mildew resistant. Here is one:
http://www.summitville.com/S687.htm

You'd have to check with your local hardware or home supplies store to see what brands they carry.

Once you get the tile regrouted apply grout sealer to it for added protection.

Also, Welcome to A2K!
Piffka

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:26 am
Gee, I wish I did! We're also having problems. I foolishly had them put in tiny tiles and white grout and the shower is HUGE! Whatever was I thinking? It is a constant housekeeping problem. grrrrrrrrrrr

Somebody suggested using a power scrubber, my husband wants to try his pressure washer. Next time... at least I won't use white grout!

(Hi CindyM and welcome to a2k!)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:37 am
Oh! Handy tip for grout removal. Wink

Get yourself one of those little dremel tools with a stack of the abrasive blades. They'll cut right through the grout and are small enough to fit in between the tiles without damaging the tile itself. Best $25 investment you'll ever make! lol
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 10:53 am
35 square feet of two-inch tiles cleared inch by inch with a hand-held dremel tool? Ackkk.
0 Replies

jon28518

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 03:44 pm
All areas damp or wet get mold. A fact of nature. We must live with it.

Suggestion after a shower, keep open the curtins or glass door to let air and light in, the suns is a free killer of mold (it's UV rays). Bottom line you need to open sunlight and air into your shower. Or use an expensive UV light, or a cheep chemical. Bleach is cheep and it works, but it harms our echo system. Before then try natures way, air and sun light. As a last resort use a chemical or purchase the expensive UV bulb.

Bottom line Sunlight and dry air, will kill mold in a shower (as in nature).
But it may take weeks, and may need a little help. But it works.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 06:09 pm
grout molds
Rule number 1, which is irritatingly too late for those of you who have already installed your new tile: If you have dry wall behind the tile, be sure it is "blue board" which has more water resistance than any other.

When laying your tile, be sure your grout has a mildacide added to it and be sure to seal it properly with tile sealer.

Bleach is a good and inexpensive mold killer.

Be sure you have good ventilation in your bathroom; check the vent fans to be sure they are operating properly and are not blocked with dirt.

I also find that live plants in a bathroom help to absorb moisture in the air which helps to reduce mold and the plants like the moisture.

BBB
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 06:36 pm
The thing about sunlight is... most people like privacy in their shower. Very Happy

I have used bleach but it is sort of a last resort option. I nearly killed myself from the fumes when I stupidly used, first some sort of strong cleanser and then bleach. Very caustic! My eyes burn just remembering that! I have high hopes for the power scrubber... I think it was ehBeth who said she had one and liked it.

We have the right kind of dry wall, there is a big fan and the tile was sealed so all that is OK. The idea of a green plant absorbing moisture is very interesting. What kind of plant do you think would be best when the only natural light comes from a small skylight?
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 06:44 pm
Great suggestions!

I have used the Mildew Remover you buy, works great! I've also used bleach which works well too, but as Piffka stated, it's difficult to breathe as you're spraying. I would recommend a face mask so as not to breathe in the fumes.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 07:09 pm
Piffka
Piffka, use as many plants as you can make room for.

When I bought my new house, it had a large shower stall, and a very large spa type bathtub, which I can't use because of my disabilities. I cut a large piece of exterior grade playwood and covered the tub with it. Then I placed several different kinds of plants on stands of different heights on top of the plywood. Now I have a green house in my bathroom. The plants thrive with the moisture. But in Albuquerque, New Mexico, the air is too dry to cause mold.

Another thing, don't mix bleach with other mixtures, it can create a very toxic gas.

BBB
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 10:38 am
Re: Piffka
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Another thing, don't mix bleach with other mixtures, it can create a very toxic gas.
BBB

I'll say!!! I'm sure I lost some brain cells with THAT trick!

We had tile shelves built into the shower but the plants I've tried seem to fade and decline and cleaning up the dead leaves got so troublesome that I removed them. I should just get plants with big leaves and then they wouldn't plug up the drain.

The greenhouse effect can be nice, BBB. Your idea sounds very clever.
0 Replies

Jezzy

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 12:16 am
Hi Cindy

There is not a grout that is completely resistant to mold and mildew . but .. you can Seal the grout and it will help .. the bad thing is that mildew and mold are par tof the the beast they form in your shower because of the moisture ..

there are things you can do like always dry it out after use and such ..

Best thing is to keep it clean . using clorox clean up to clean your shower is the best thing .. never use amonia based products to clean you shower, they will only promote the growth of mildew on it ..

I recommend sealing your grout joints .. there are several brands of sealer .. you can get them at Home depot or Lowes .. and most can be applied with a sponge ...

I hope this helps ..
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:03 am
Jezzy
Jezzy, welcome to Able2Know, glad to have you here.

Thanks for your friendly contribution to solving the mold problem.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

grottomaster

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:50 am
If you follow the instructions to the letter on regular grout, this should not be a problem. Just mop/wipe once a week or so with straight chlorine water (4-5 capfuls to the gallon) in addition to regular cleaning.
0 Replies

rda1958

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 06:34 pm
@CindyM,
mold resistant grout sold @ home depot sanded and unsanded
0 Replies

guerciofernando

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 12:36 am
@fishin,
Thanks to you for your kind information. Grouts are really needed to resistant the mold and mildew.
0 Replies

JocobyEllbury

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 05:01 am
@CindyM,
Hello,

Thank you for your valuable information. I have recommended this to everyone so far and I swear on clear it works for any type of rust or Lyme or mildew. I buy the kitchen and bathroom cleaner in a yellow spray bottle, spray it on let it sit 15 minutes rinse it off then spray it again let it sit a few minutes and scrub only there isn't a whole lot of scrubbing to do.

Thanks a lot again
Jocoby Ellbury
0 Replies

Luxury Living

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:53 am
@CindyM,
You can try the natural methods to get rid of the mold. Try to keep the place dry and clean. Use an exhaust fan in your bathroom. Chemicals are available for killing mold.
If you want to replace things, mold resistant grouts are available in the market.
0 Replies