Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 07:54 pm
we have an RV (motor home/ caravan) with a t.v (we seldom watch) but with the new digital only tv broadcast and "they" tell me there is no conversion boxes for rvs. does anyone know of a solution?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 5,859 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:04 pm
@dyslexia,
Are you using an antenna on the motorhome for the tv? As far as I know this should still work with digital. Of course, there is a difference between straight digital and HD digital. Again, it should work.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:08 pm
@Intrepid,
don't work, no signal.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:16 pm
@dyslexia,
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Install-a-Digital-TV-Converter-Box-in-Your-RV&id=1928668
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 10:22 pm
@dyslexia,
IF you have 12 volts power source just pick up a 12 volts to 120 volts converter for 30 dollars or so and power the digital conversion box using it.

Cheaper then buying one of the few models that will work on batteries/12 volts directly and it is nice to have a converter with 120 out in any case for other useds.
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 04:55 am
@BillRM,
Im here with the right answer.
You probably have a Winegard RV antenna (one of those with a non digital amp) It raises and turns and looks like a plane wing. Winegard is making a newer HD?digital antenna the RV 3095 and the RV 7095. Im not sure of the features but theyre in the 35$ range.
I, started a thread on this same subject before we left for MAine and I went out and got a new PHILLIPS digital box that fots and plugs right onto your rotating antenna pole. It has the digital off -air tuner.

Phillips is handled by RAdio Shak or many of the RV complexes. Im not sure about the WInegard since it looks like the early analog antennas and it has very little of the off air tuner components (unless this is all IC ****)

GO ye and buy a Phillips, it plugs into the same waars and it aint got nothin too fancy bout it.

Obviously Bill dont know **** bout modern RVs. He dont know that you already got plenty of 120 v plugs around the house.

Since I switched over to the digital antenna hookup, Im getting all these stations in HD and its amaaazing that I dont even have to pay for it like I do with my home cable. SO when I need to go and watch some repeat NPR program, Ill go out to the pasture, fire up the gennie, and turn on the gas heat and disappear for a few hours.

Im sure Winegard and Philips have web siotes , Im just not able to find them quickly. NOW, youre on yer own dude.
BillRM

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 05:09 am
@farmerman,
Obviously Bill dont know **** bout modern RVs. He dont know that you already got plenty of 120 v plugs around the house.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Depending on the price of the home if you are carrying a generator my silly friend as not all RVs carry generators and not all of them can be used when moving for that matter.

Second they eat gas like there is no tomorrow and make noises that can be annoying to you and everyone around you.

Of course if you are park somewhere with power that you can plug into any RV will have a lot of AC plugs all around to used!!!!!!

My family had any numbers of RVs.

FOOL and I mean you are a fool.

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 05:20 am
@BillRM,
Obviously you didnt learn much from them. Both dys and I have RVs (he has a bus and I have a 5th wheeler now) Electricity can be delivered to an RV by "camp current" or battery (12v) or by gennie. Using a gennie is only needed when "dry docking" when there is no offboard electricity.

Modern generators can operate as diesel, LP gas or gasoline. Mine is Propane and is quieter than a fan. So your "eat gas and noisy as hell" was true 20 years ago.
Also, all modern RVs have computers that distinguish the biggest draw and switch services all around.
We used to run a big ass tall bus and I bought it from the dealer in Canada and sold it several years layter for a little more than I payed. Ive since bought a HOLIDAY RAMBLER 5th wheeler which I keep parked all summer then I pick up and move to get serviced and then pack it home for the winter.

The only thing I miss about the bus is the ability to live onboard while driving. However thats more than made up for by the big increase in living space when parked.

DYS, go with the Philips, youll thank me.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 05:28 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
not all RVs carry generators and not all of them can be used when moving for that matter.

Bill, I dont think that anyone would be running their gennies while moving( unless they are a complete idiot). That would be a bit off spec. Most modern RV computers detect that , when driving, the refrigerator gets turned to either gas , or if the gas is low, it switches back and forth to battery backup. There are really no appliances that you need 120 v. while on the road. I dont think youd be doing laundry on the road( coarse , youre so far behind that you probably didnt even know that many RVs come with washer dryers).ANYWAY, My ol CAnajun bus had a motion sensor and a level breaker that didnt allow you to use the laundry while on the road, (something about safety of a gas/electric appliance), as far as tv, you could use the dvd and watch movies cause the sat dish wouldnt work all scruntched down on the roof.

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 06:33 pm
@farmerman,
Do you not have a digital TV? then you WILL need the converter box. You can get those from Radio Shak too but also get the digital Antenna . If you have a digital tv and a good digital antenna, you will recieve most all of the stations that are broadcasting HD. We have a little flat panel LG that is 19" and cost like 175 bucks and this one , with the digitanna , is great. (Cant get cable signals without a dish and a subscirption though)
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 12:35 pm
@farmerman,
I am not sure what kind of RV luxury liners you are running around in but the major of TODAYs RVs do not have such features you are talking about.

Silly rabbit.....................

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 12:47 pm
Motor Home Magazine Discussions re: DTV converters
dyslexia

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 12:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
well after reading that I realize that I'm not alone but then I don'tknow anymore than I did before reading it.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 12:57 pm
@dyslexia,
want I should recommend a good book?

(to read while you got no TV)
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 01:19 pm
Oh side note as I am in an area where after a hurricane you can be without power for a long long time and fuel for power generators of any kind tend to be in short supply afterward, my back up power is as follow.

Two small and noisy gas generators as unlike farmerman paying a very large surcharge for a low noise generator was not in my budget, three deep cycle batteries and a numbers of 12 to 120 converters.

In the daytime when my power demands are higher, I ran the generators and of course, the noise factor is of far less of a concern and recharge the batteries at the same time.

At night, I was running some lights, some electronic <computers/TVs/radios>, a few fans, and a small cooler off my batteries/converters.

The times I had used this system it serve me very well indeed.

Now somehow farmerman I am sure have a silent gas power 100 KW immediately on system with a 100,000 liters tank to feed it.

Second note then my now wife was in the Peace Corp I travel over and set up a wind mill generator and battery/converter system that did allow her to be far more comfort then she would had otherwise had been. The Peace Corp desire you to live in the same situation as the people you are trying to help and that is far from farmerman idea of how to live I am sure!

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 03:00 pm
@BillRM,
I can see that you have not a clue about RV's. Most gennies are 3 to 7 KW and even the gas ones (HONDAs) are quite silent. The Family Coach Assn has these large rendesvous where they get 2-300 RV's all DRYDOCKING . There are rather strict provisions for the noise levels on these rendesvous, Its really not rocket science Bill, maybe youre just using generatotrs from the 1940's.

The topic was about TV's and Rv's not, as you seem to want, THE PEACE CORPS. The Rv gas bottles are usually 30 to 60 lb each (I have 2 60 pounders and they would run my generator and provide all the refrig , heater, and gas stove and laundry needs for about 2 weeks before Id need to fill fill the bottles).
If you want to show us how out of ouch with rvs you are Bill, keep talking. None of the things I have on the Holiday Rambler are what Id consider "High end" cause, if you knew anything, youd recognize that most all RVs use the same appliances and the only differences between the high end buses and the regular ones is that the really high end ones have huuuge basemenst and stone counter tops and really gaudy looking plumbing fixtures. ANd of course power everything, including a power awning system and automatic pneumatic levelers and power slide outs on the outside appliances like gas grilles, the gennies, and other ****.

Dys, did you loook at any antennas yet? or are you fuckin with a non digital TV?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 05:17 pm
Sounds like that first article I linked to has the solution for you. This is the website of the guy who authored that article. It has a lot more info and detail about RVs and digital tv

http://www.everything-about-rving.com/digital-tv.html

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 06:05 pm
@Butrflynet,
The Winegard Wingman is a POS. really.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:29 am
@farmerman,
well FM I have no idea if the t.v. is digital, we have only used it for DVD movies but i would like to be able to receive on air t.v. I do know there is a `powered antenna located in the cabinet behind the t.v. (12 inch on a slide-out) should I just go to some r.v. place like R V World and ask?
dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 12:17 pm
@dyslexia,
oops, NOT a powered antenna, a powered amp.