The End of Saturn

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:27 am
Yes, I know this is older news: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hzJ6l3NJeV0Fmp6mjz25GNJ89AagD9B2ENSO0

But yesterday we received a letter from Jill Lajdziak, see: http://www.autonews.com/article/20091028/ANA05/910279989/1266 and it really hit me. And it felt a tiny bit like a death in the family.

We've had Saturns since 1996 or so. This is our third, and the first one we've owned. It's a black Ion. The first one was green, the second, brown. They were both SL2's. We even got a Saturn sendoff the first time we leased one. Hokey, corny, but kind nice.

And now, no more Saturns. I have no idea what I will buy when this car finally kicks it, probably in a good 10 years given the light use that it gets. A GM vehicle, I suppose, or a hybrid or an electric, whatever is available and safe and funky and not too expensive for model year 2020, I figure.

But in the meantime, a moment of homage to a failed experiment.

Thanks, Saturn, and Saturn of Norwood.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,604 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:29 am
@jespah,

< schniff >
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:30 am
@jespah,
But the planet's still there ... right?

All good things must come to an end, jes. Just look at the Edsel and the De Lorean.
jespah

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:31 am
@Ticomaya,
I know. I just love my lil car. Sad

PS I believe the planet is still there.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:30 am
Oh, I know how you feel. I bought a little blue Ion in '07 and LOVE it. I had my heart set on getting one of the hybrid Vues and my husband wanted the Outlook. After the service we have gotten from Saturn and how great their cars are we had pretty much decided to be Saturn for life people. Now we look at the cars on the road and wonder what we will have to settle for when we go to get a second car or to eventually replace this one. You are right, it is a bit of a loss.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:41 pm
I have a white Saturn Ion 3 quad couple with a sun roof, power windows, spoiler on the back, bra cover on the front, travel package, key fob, variable high speed transmission......I love my little car!

Before this I had white SC2 and it was only the trade up to the Ion that I even considered trading it in.

My mom has a gold colored SC2 and a newer grey Aura which we both love driving. We just can't seem to fathom how this could have happened!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:46 pm
@jespah,
no more Pontiac, either.

I think GM is trying to become Ford.

very vanilla.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:14 pm
@jespah,
Jespah - you're such a stickler for proper wording (natural enough for a JD), that when I saw your title I thought you meant the PLANET Saturn had been destroyed by some wayward asteroid and was greatly relieved to read your opening sentence here ...

Of course I'm sorry if the car dealership closure caused you inconvenience, may it be very short-term in nature Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:29 pm
Well, I was hoping to attract astronomers' attention.

Rocky - I had no idea Pontiac was going, too. Sheesh! What'll happen to this song?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 03:41 am
The Saturn was as good a car as GM ever made, good enough in fact that it was halfway popular in Japan, particularly because of the tight parking in Japan and the Saturn's snap-to body panels.

Problem was mainly with the UAW:

http://www.saturnfans.com/company/editorial-saturn-fell-prey-gm-uaw-bungling

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471504574447122719252350.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 04:33 am
Life ain't the same since they quit making Gremlins. A bit of fun and adventure has been squelched from the world.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 06:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Life ain't the same since they quit making Gremlins. A bit of fun and adventure has been squelched from the world.

You shouldn't mention the Gremlin and Saturn in the same breath, the two aren't even close to being similar and if ever there was a company which totally deserved to go under it was AMC. The Gremlin was an aerodynamic disaster looking for a way to happen in any sort of a cross wind. People were getting hurt in the things for no reason at all other than a 20 mph wind.
0 Replies