Am I too old to go trick o treating?

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:45 am
@OutOfNoWhere,
Because the idea of trick or treating is to get free candy from others. I suppose you could kind of reverse the idea. Try going trick or treating and hand out a surprise for the door opener instead of the other way around. Or collect for unicef - I believe that people used to dress up on halloween and ask for donations to unicef.
0 Replies

OutOfNoWhere

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:45 am
@CalamityJane,
I have given out candy.. waiting around your house for someone ring the doorbell.... As I previously said, not as many kids around here.

I have noticed in my life, the adults (my friends parents and such) who didn't let go of little joys of: trick-or-treating "spirit", the love of disney movies, dressing up for every holiday in holiday attire, they all have more fun and get along with their kids better because they have this fun and relate-able attitude while still being able to survive in the "adult" world and be strict on their kids.

I agree with how you give them at least one piece of candy, although you don't approve. But for the rest of you, just because you don't enjoy trick-or-treating anymore and you really care how society views you, don't put down the ones who still have the fun kid heart, don't shut the door in their face, don't throw things at them... just give them the smallest piece of candy you can find and move on.... :/
Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:49 am
@OutOfNoWhere,
And us adults have never said we do not find the joy in this - actually quite the opposite; I love doing things with children (usually more than adults) - but face it I am an adult. When I do some crazy kids' stuff - my own kids say - mom you can't do that you're an adult. I let them know how unfair it is they get all the fun stuff. You do need to strike a balance between the two.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:50 am
@OutOfNoWhere,
And I do enjoy trick or treating - which is why I bring my kids so I can get the enjoyment, but without hounding in on the kids' loot.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:21 am
out-of-touch said
Quote:
I have noticed in my life, the adults (my friends parents and such) who didn't let go of little joys of: trick-or-treating "spirit", the love of disney movies, dressing up for every holiday in holiday attire, they all have more fun and get along with their kids better because they have this fun and relate-able attitude while still being able to survive in the "adult" world and be strict on their kids.

Sweetie, YOU are an adult! It seems you are still stuck in this mode that
you are a child, in fact you are not. When my daughter was young, I had
great pleasure in dressing her up on Halloween and going around the neighborhood trick & treating. Now at 14, she still dresses up but she goes
to Halloween parties at school. Most of us who answered here have
children and have gone out with them on Halloween - we're full in the spirit,
however there is a place and there is a time for everything - you've had
your time, move over and let the young ones have their candy, so they don't have to share and compete with adults like you.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:22 pm
@OutOfNoWhere,
OutOfNoWhere wrote:

I have noticed in my life, the adults (my friends parents and such) who didn't let go of little joys of: trick-or-treating "spirit", the love of disney movies, dressing up for every holiday in holiday attire, they all have more fun and get along with their kids better because they have this fun and relate-able attitude while still being able to survive in the "adult" world and be strict on their kids

I thought Michael Jackson had died a few months back. Did I miss something?

ok, serious question....

so, you're 20 years old and dress up and go out trick or treating.

what is it you're expecting the "adults" whose doors you knock on to do?

When little kids come to the door, you naturally do the "oh, what a cute princess you are!", or "my, what a scary vampire!"

What do you want the man or woman who opens the door, and finds you, to do?

Are they supposed to gush "wow, look honey, a grown man/woman dressed up like a fireman/kitty cat! wait, let me get the camera, yours is the best costume I've seen all night. even better than the 2 year old in the rhino costume"

A kid dressed up in a costume is cute. An adult dressed up in a costume, not going to a party, but going door to door is just, well, an adult dressed up in a costume.

No one ever answered another question I asked before...are 40 and 50 year olds supposed to go around knocking on people doors looking for a treat?

Good lord. Rolling Eyes
OutOfNoWhere

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 07:33 pm
@chai2,
people have to stop thinking that one thing is supposed to be for one thing.... "trick-or-treating = little kids" that's being as discriminate as saying oh you aren't really catholic cuz u converted.... or you can't trick-or-treat cuz you grew up.... your an adult for 364-365 days a year... live a little have some fun
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:52 pm
@OutOfNoWhere,
Miss need a reality check said
Quote:
"trick-or-treating = little kids" that's being as discriminate as saying oh you aren't really catholic cuz u converted.

I am sorry but I think you have a little screw loose. You feel discriminated
against because you can't go trick or treating? By all means, go ahead and
make a fool out of yourself....
Green Witch

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 09:03 pm
@CalamityJane,
So who here is going to sit on Santa's lap this year?
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 03:20 am
Of course, there is always this to think about:
Quote:
"Most of the candy sold during this season has been dedicated and prayed over by witches�I do not buy candy during the Halloween season. Curses are sent through the tricks and treats of the innocent whether they get it by going door to door or by purchasing it from the local grocery store. The demons cannot tell the difference."
-- Dr. Kimberly Daniels, in an essay posted on Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcasting Network

Joe(those thickheaded demons can't tell.)Nation
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 06:34 am

I guess you might not be legal age to drink yet, depends where you are.

As an adult, the deal is you walk with your drink glass to your friends houses and hit them up for booze. But only if you are willing to do the same.

That is, if you want to do the trick or treating thing instead of just going to a party or hosting one yourself.

Unless you live somewhere that everyone knows you, best not to knock on random doors. You might get tricked instead of treated. lol.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 10:08 am
@OutOfNoWhere,
OutOfNoWhere wrote:

people have to stop thinking that one thing is supposed to be for one thing.... "trick-or-treating = little kids" that's being as discriminate as saying oh you aren't really catholic cuz u converted.... or you can't trick-or-treat cuz you grew up.... your an adult for 364-365 days a year... live a little have some fun

How does that answer my question?

Unforntunately, none of us can tell people what they "have" to do or stop start thinking.

Answer the question directly.

What is it that you want people to do when you show up at their door?
What are they supposed to say?

Are people who are 30, 40, 50, 60, according to you, supposed to be wandering the streets wearing costumes and knocking on doors?

Live a little? Have some fun?
Isn't that imposing your personal belief that everyone should enjoy the same things you do?

Are you not for the self expression of people who do not think as you do?

Me? I think walking around my neighborhood and schlepping from door to door would be boring as hell.
I'd be knocking on doors of people I communicate, play, work side by side on what I consider neighborhood enhancements (like home maintenance, gardening, raising good kids, etc...all of which I should say, are fun to me) on a day to day basis. BTW, I'm not a parent, but I do firmly feel I have a part to play in the raising of the neighborhood kids.

I don't believe you are able to answer my questions, because you can't think beyond this simplistic idea that 19 or 20 year old should be out trick or treating.

Which is, I supposed what I would expect of someone 12 years old, and where you seem to be stuck.

Either you're not that discerning, or you're a troll.

0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 10:43 am
Are there any Zombie Walks planned for your city?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_walk

You get to dress up -- no candy, though.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 09:52 pm
very appropriate ...

msolga

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 11:24 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Quote:
I'm 20 and I haven't been trick o treating since I was 12 bc my folks won't let me. Shouldn't I make up for lost time. I rememver when I was 16, we moved to Ohio and my parents point blank won't let me go. I remember crying as I watched all the little kids in cute costumes get free candy and I didn't get to take part. Four years later, I still didn't. Am I really too old or are my folks just being mean?

Oh honestly. This is a big issue for you? At age 20. Really?

Most people of your age are worrying about climate change, the survival of the planet. Stuff like that. The ones who actually think , anyway.

And this is still a big issue for you? Pretty sad, that's all I can say.

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 04:07 am
A friend from out West reports :
Off to bed after a disappointingly quiet Halloween. One odd note: our first trick-or-treaters were three women in their 40s or so, with only some face paint for costumes. Moms who ran out of candy to give out, maybe? We also got what I'm guessing were an older (12-ish) and younger (6-ish) brother team, with wolfman masks. That was it. We ate Hungarian Mushroom Soup from Old Wives' Tales restaurant and watched TV.

Here in New York there were lots and lots of kids with their parents on the Upper West Side. Down in the Village, in the drizzling rain, THOUSANDS of adults dressed up as everything from zombies to Bernie Madoff to fairy princesses. (Yes. Those were mostly men in their 30's.) Fun FUN fun.

The questioner needs to move here, at least for one night a year.

Joe(you are too old to Trick or Treat when they tell you the Boris Karloff mask you are wearing is terrific and you are not wearing a Boris Karloff mask.)Nation
sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 06:50 am
@Joe Nation,
I was totally this weeks' New Yorker cover* while trick-or-treating, and friends of mine were doing the same (whether at home or out with kids). One friend posited that if a trick-or-treater showed up at her house wearing high heels, she'd get a rat instead of candy. (The friend has pet rats, but she didn't mean it in a nice way.) I added that cleavage also seems wrong. (I saw a fair amount of both.)

*http://content.archives.newyorker.com/djvu/Conde%20Nast/New%20Yorker/2009_11_02/webimages/page0000001_1.jpg
sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 06:55 am
@sozobe,
Oh and one other idea for adult participation in trick-or-treating -- if your own area doesn't have a lot of trick-or-treaters, does ANYONE you know live in an area that does? Or volunteer at a youth center or something like that? I did see a bazillion adults dressed up and giving out candy -- many of them were clearly hosting parties that amounted to sitting around a firepit and admiring kid's costumes and chatting (with each other and with trick-or-treaters and their parents) while handing out candy.
0 Replies

OutOfNoWhere

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:47 pm
So did dirtydozen22 go trick-or-treating?
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:51 am
@OutOfNoWhere,
OutOfNoWhere wrote:

So did dirtydozen22 go trick-or-treating?

So, did you?
0 Replies