Happy 4th of July EVE

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 10:00 am
To those who celebrate the season! Happy 4th of July EVE!

Will you be hanging a sock on the mantel for Saint George to place fireworks in after midnight when he visits all good democracy loving patriots?

I'm not really doing anything special related to the holiday. I don't have anything special planned.

What about you? Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 247 • Replies: 16
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
hightor
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 12:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've got a special wreath made of poison ivy!

I'll be playing in two concerts tomorrow, the first one is in the morning and the second in the afternoon. And I'll probably be drinking.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 01:46 pm
I have new dog, pretty much a puppy. I will be getting Archie through the trauma of explosions as best I can.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 02:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm so glad you have a new puppy!!!!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 02:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
'trauma of explosions'?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 02:14 pm
@Mame,
Lots of people fire off firecrackers and other explosives during the 4th, plus a bunch of people also fire guns. It scares the living bejebus out of the dogs. I hate it.
thack45

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 02:35 pm
@glitterbag,
Our great dane does not do well at all with it. And it's usually stretched over the course of five or seven nights, because liburty.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 04:10 pm
My last dog barked at the noise and went in the yard to confront it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 04:31 pm
@glitterbag,
We don't do fireworks here. I think you have to have a permit, for one, and we're just not that enthralled with them. I'm sure this isn't 100% true and someone will come on here and call me a liar, but other than governments having a display for a certain occasion, or the annual Fireworks Display Competition (not its real name) in Vancouver (and likely elsewhere), we just don't do them. My Gracie dog was scared of thunder and lightning so I'm sure she'd be going crazy with fireworks.

We also don't do flags (although I did see one on a car on July 1) the way you guys do.

But thanks, I never even thought of that! And to edgar- yes, congrats on the new furry guy. Name?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 04:36 pm
Name? Archie.
He is a lab mix, was a stray. He was in jail a month before we rescued him. He's loving the new digs.
Mame

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 04:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
I bet he is loving his new digs, plus all the extra attention he's likely getting. Go you!
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 05:28 pm
@Mame,
He's the first dog I've had that actually loves his kibble.
Mame

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 06:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ha ha ha - I hear you. I gave in to my other three a couple of years before the end of their lives - I became a damn personal chef for dogs and they all wanted something different every day. Apparently they didn't like leftovers. And my husband took them for fast food a few times a week, lol.

Our new dog, the Corgi, has become unenamoured with his food this last week. I give him his meds in a little bowl of cold chicken noodle soup and he wolfs that down. The problem with not eating (and he will, I know) is that it is Renal food and he needs it. When he first came here a couple months ago, he loved his food so much you could use it as treats. Now he's not interested. Weird, eh?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 09:23 pm
My last dog ate as well as me. I don't believe kibble alone can nourish a dog, but haven't made a plan as yet for Archie.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2024 12:14 pm
@Mame,
We do our fireworks in November, when it's dark at 5pm, not July when it's light until 10pm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2024 10:09 pm
This Fourth the fireworks have been subdued compared to other years. The neighborhood waited until it was dark to explode anything. It's not my imagination. The dog has slept through it all and at 11PM it's quieting down.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2024 03:05 pm
0 Replies