Shirley Temple Black's Facts

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 01:21 pm
One take Temple is still with us. WOW. She didn't do as well in movies as she became older, although I do remember a movie with Ronald Reagan that was pretty darn good. Just can't think of the name of it:
http://www.shirleytemplefans.com/main.htm

What child star do you remember as being quite good, but has vanished from the silver screen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,170 • Replies: 48
No top replies

mac11

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 01:25 pm
The film you're thinking of is That Hagen Girl, Letty.

I'll have to consider lost child stars...the boy in Kramer vs. Kramer didn't do much else after that.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 01:43 pm
Thanks, Mac. I remember being sorta shocked at that film. It dealt with some taboo topics.

Lord have mercy, I don't even remember the kid in Kramer vs. Kramer. You're right.

How about the kid in The Sixth Sense. Has he done anything recently?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 01:55 pm
Yes, Haley Joel Osment is in a current film called Secondhand Lions with Michael Caine and Robert Duvall.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0327137/
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:07 pm
Hmmmm, Mac. Didn't even remember the kid's name. Patty McCormack disappeared after making The Bad Seed. That movie was on TV just recently.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:09 pm
What about Margaret O'Brien? She was a very popular kid star.

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:25 pm
Good grief, Phoenix. I had plum forgotten about Margaret. I haven't heard much from McCauley Culkin (sp) either.

(after seeing that precious baby pix of you in the gallery, you could have easily been a child star. Cool )
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:28 pm
Macauley Culkin has a current film too, his first in nine years, called Party Monster.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0320244/
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:37 pm
heh heh! Mac, I do believe that you get better. Must have been that fun gathering in Austin. Loved the pictures.

I think Robert Blake made a comeback with In Cold Blood. That's odd. Don't believe that I've seen one thing about his trial or conviction. I could look it up, I guess.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:47 pm
Leonard Whiting count? Started in films at age 15, making "Romeo and Juliet" at 18 and ten years later, "Frankenstein: The True Story," the TV movie written by Christopher Isherwood (of "Cabaret" fame). Then he virtually dissapeared although it think he is one of those what happened to (?) books.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:50 pm
What about the guy with the Porshe from "16 candles?" He was a good looking guy with charm and smidge of talent....not that it took much but, still.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:06 pm
Yikes, Mr. Wizard. Leonard Whiting. Olivia Hussey did several things later that weren't bad. One I remember is Black December or something like that.

Quinn, I don't remember the kid in Sixteen Candles. Maybe that's why he didn't make it! Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:08 pm
Ehm, I tapdanced for Shirley Temple-Black, when she was a US embassador to Czechoslovakia. My father made me, quite embarassing really. But she was very sweet and well-respected in that corner of the world.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:08 pm
(1990s) Has a business building hand-crafted furniture in Pennsylvania.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 04:08 pm
Quinn, Dag. Don't geddit! Backstage fathers? Handcrafted furniture? Shocked
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 05:50 pm
I always thought the kid who played the role of Ethan Weston (Jason Nagler) on "Thirty Something" had quite a lot of natural talent and acting ability.

Some of my favorite episodes with him are when he and Nancy were writing and illustrating their book together.

Haven't seen any more of him since the show was cancelled.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:49 pm
Does anybody remember the freckle-faced kid, Jackie "Butch" Jenkins? He was a real scene stealer, appearing in The Human Comedy, National Velvet, Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, My Brother Talks to Horses, to name a few. I read that he was forced to quit films (at age 11) after developing a stutter (I think they probably overworked the little fellow). Anyway he later supervised the East Texas Water System and ran a chain of car wash establishments.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:07 pm
Ho Letty!

Now here's the one: Micky Rooney

http://www.mickeyrooney.com/filmhistory.html

He was a child star well into his eighties.

One of the undeniable greats and a man who obviously kept the child inside alive. That's the secret.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:59 pm
Robert Driscol, who played Jim Hawkins in Disney's Treasure Island, became a homeless person, died of exposure.
Jane Withers briefly came back in commercials.
Dwayne Hickman played Dobie Gillis, Bob Cummings' nephew in Love That Bob. Went nowhere in the business as an adult.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:06 pm
Now wait a minute. Dwayne thinks he's a living legend!

http://www.livinglegendsltd.com/StarsDwayne.htm
0 Replies