In the beginning, God SEPARATED the Heaven and the Earth.....

DrewDad

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 01:12 pm
God is not the Creator, claims academic

Quote:
Professor Ellen van Wolde, a respected Old Testament scholar and author, claims the first sentence of Genesis "in the beginning God created the Heaven and the Earth" is not a true translation of the Hebrew.

She claims she has carried out fresh textual analysis that suggests the writers of the great book never intended to suggest that God created the world -- and in fact the Earth was already there when he created humans and animals.

Prof Van Wolde, 54, who will present a thesis on the subject at Radboud University in The Netherlands where she studies, said she had re-analysed the original Hebrew text and placed it in the context of the Bible as a whole, and in the context of other creation stories from ancient Mesopotamia.

She said she eventually concluded the Hebrew verb "bara", which is used in the first sentence of the book of Genesis, does not mean "to create" but to "spatially separate".

The first sentence should now read "in the beginning God separated the Heaven and the Earth"

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,631 • Replies: 42

tycoon

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 02:32 pm
I'm not sure what would be so significant about this. It can fairly be argued God still owns both heaven and earth.
Francis

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 02:36 pm
@tycoon,
It can be argued that god is a fairy tale, a human creation..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 02:47 pm
@tycoon,
tycoon wrote:

I'm not sure what would be so significant about this. It can fairly be argued God still owns both heaven and earth.

You've got any proof for that?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 03:32 pm
@tycoon,
"It can be argued" is the lead-in of the intellectually lazy.

One can argue just about anything. It doesn't follow that it is in any way valid, however.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 08:25 pm
The Earth was actually made by a consortium of investors. God was hired to fix it up and increase the resale value.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 09:29 pm
@DrewDad,
And next week Professor vanWolde will compute and conclusively demonstrate just how many angels can actually dance on the head of a common pin. I can hardly wait.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 11:44 pm
@DrewDad,
I get the relevance DD. Even if the Bible is bullshit, and the sentence doesn't matter cause it's make believe anyways, it certainly would shake the religion tree, and some fruit might fall. You could even eat that fruit of knowledge, guilt (and sin) free.

T
K
O

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:52 am
@Diest TKO,
The bottom line is that this has no relevance of any sort to reality, whether one is a believer or, like most of us, not. It is an academic quibble over semantics, not too far removed from the Medieval argument about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Whether the word is "created" or "separated" can be of interest only to other Bible scholars. It's not going to "shake the religion tree," DTKO because: 1) you and I see it as fantasy; 2)true believers will simply reject it out-of-hand. It is meaningless, either way.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 06:57 pm
I find this interesting, since it alludes to what some quantum physicists have wondered, as to whether there are parallel universes? Now if parallel universes were separated in the beginning, we might just be thinking of one of them as heaven?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 07:11 pm
Either creation/separation, the myth is still a copy of the several found in Babylonian writings from fifteen to twenty centuries before Christ supposedly arrived.
or
There are several Chinese creation myths which say that the world started out as an egg. Maybe god used a gigantic separator.

Joe( Yolk= earth, egg-white = mostly cloudy skies)Nation
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 08:35 pm
It amuses me that there are so many responses stating that this thread is of no significance.
farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 05:31 am
@ebrown p,
It amuses me to assume that God spoke Hebrew.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:08 am
@farmerman,
Then perhaps Yahweh isn't God.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:10 am
@DrewDad,
I'd also like to point out another of my favorite mis-translations.

The word that they used for Mary actually translates better as "maiden" rather than "virgin". "Maiden" can mean virgin, but it can also mean "girl" or "young woman".
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:42 am
@ebrown p,
It amuses all of us too.
Joe(wonders how many will be willing to kill over change in translation)Nation
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2021 02:39 am
@DrewDad,
I don't know why I bother to respond to a thread that was created some 22 years ago, but here goes.

The Theory of the BIG BANG as the origin of this universe, begins with an infinitely dense, infinitely hot, infinitesimally small ‘SINGULARITY’ which was spatially separated and spewed out, as an extremely hot liquid like plasma of electromagnetic energy in the trillions upon trillions of degrees, in fact our scientists claim that the universal temperature at the instant of the Big Bang, was 100 million trillion trillion kelvins, or 180 million trillion trillion degrees Fahrenheit.

A singularity is a region of space-time in which matter is crushed so closely together that the gravitational laws explained by general relativity break down. In a singularity, the volume of space is zero and its density is infinite. Scientists believe such a singularity exists at the core of a black hole, which occurs when a super-massive sun reaches the end of its life and implodes.

General relativity also demands such a singularity must exist at the beginning of an expanding universe, from which singularity our eternal oscillating and ever evolving universe is resurrected to continue on in that everlasting process.

All life originated with the singularity from which this expanding universe and all the life herein was created, and this universe and all that exists, will be returned to the singularity, which is the origin of the next cycle of universal activity. This would appear to compliment Paul’s statement in Romans 1: 18-23; that the eternal, who has neither beginning or end, had made himself manifest as this visible cosmos, and all that can be known about the eternal has been made plain to us in the creation itself, which is the eternal invisible MIND, ‘The GREAT THOUGHT’ made visible as it has evolved today.

The first law of thermodynamics is the same as the first law of conservation and that is, that energy can neither be created or destroyed. If energy cannot be created, then it always was, and If it can never be destroyed, it always will be. Therefore, according to this law, energy must be eternal, having neither beginning or end. Energy can be and is converted to that which we perceive as matter. In fact, this apparent material universe at the time of the Big Bang, was pure electromagnetic energy, which, in my opinion was spewed out of a ‘WHITE HOLE,’ in the trillions upon trillions of degrees, which has been converted to that which we perceive as matter, only to be re-converted to its original form as electromagnetic energy during the phase of the Big Crunch.

If you believe that a universe of mindless matter has produced beings with intrinsic ends, [in Kantian terminology, an end-in-itself, self- replication capabilities, and “coded chemistry”? Then you must accept that it is the eternal energy, which has neither beginning or end, that has become this material universe and has developed a mind that is the compilation of all the information gathered by all the diverse life-forms that ‘it,’ [The Eternal Energy] has become, the collective consciousness of all that it is.

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2021 03:06 am
@The Anointed,

del U=Q-W
its for closed syystems remember. Are you sure the or the Galaxy is a closed system??
farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2021 03:10 am
@The Anointed,
Quote:
coded chemistry
PS, thats bullhit bcause any protein, fatty acid, complex ester or even Purine/pyrimidine can react totallydiferently in new undefined environments/ So whats "coded" or do you need to explain your Alley oop science to us masses??
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2021 03:44 am
@farmerman,
Fm asked; "Are you sure the or the Galaxy is a closed system??

Answer: YEP!