Some simple questions about housekeeping

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 08:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
I used to be the mad housewife, but I've lost interest. When the dreck starts to get to me, I'll spiff up.

I have a bunch of sheets, having had a guest bedroom in my last place, but I only use one undersheet and one matching light comforter, easily washable. For winter I pile on another comforter when it gets cold. Wash, dry, put on bed.

I check pockets, having learned to the hard way. I shake the clothes when I take them from the washer to the dryer, to get out some portion of the wrinkles.
I take a lot out of the dryer on the early side and shake again, put on hangers to room dry, or fold - I refuse to iron, though I still have one as a souvenir.
Thus I have a selection of wrinkley linen shirts to wear around the house.
I used to line dry in California but here it's often windy, that is wind with sand. Or else wintry cold. Back there, I built an overhead trellis with a bench underneath and also a rod in among the top beams for hanging clothes. That worked well most of the time... except in rare high wind. A clothesline and clothespins could work..

I use my dishwasher to store glassware and foil...
use relatively few dishes, and handwash.
I sweep more than vacuum.
Fatima10

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 08:53 pm
I have heard, "A clean house is a sign of a wasted life".

Dishwasher: Heated Dry Or Not?
Bathroom Tissue: Over or Under?
Laundry Detergent: Liquid or Powder?
Dusting:
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:01 pm
@Fatima10,
Hi, Fatima, long time no see...
Fatima10

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:01 pm
Dusting: Feather Duster or Supersonic Machine?

Make sure kitchen, bathroom are clean! Beds, clean & made. Put away used objects: drinking glasses, reading glasses, books....when done..

Perhaps some ways are better than others in cleaning.
Clean is clean.
Follow your bliss and don't have a wasted life!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:09 pm
@Fatima10,
Fatima10 wrote:

I have heard, "A clean house is a sign of a wasted life".

Dishwasher: Heated Dry Or Not?
Bathroom Tissue: Over or Under?
Laundry Detergent: Liquid or Powder?
Dusting:

Dishwasher -- nope. Hand wash, really hot soapy water, drip dry.
Bathroom Tissue: Over. I said OVER. No, not like that...Over. Geez...
Laundry Detergent: Liquid, environmentally friendly, blah-blah, line dried unless it's snowing...
Dusting: Dusting?
Beds are always made. Can't stand crawling into an unmade bed.
Kitchen and bathroom always tolerable. Baseboards often don't bear scrutiny. (I "waste" my life reading. Books usually lying around.)
mismi

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I use my dishwasher to store glassware and foil...
use relatively few dishes, and handwash.

Funny you say that Osso. I handwash myself now. My dishwasher broke about a year ago. There is always something else I would rather spend my money on. So I am still handwashing. It is not so bad if you do it as you go. I use my dishwasher as my draining rack. I put a towel on the door and pull the top rack out....when I finish sanitizing them I let them dry there. Then put them up. It works well. My water bill and my electric bill are lower (maybe not all thanks going to my handwashing - but I am sure it helps) than they were this time last year. I ran a load a day at least.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:28 pm
@Tai Chi,
Quote:
Beds are always made. Can't stand crawling into an unmade bed

Me either Tai Chi - I have been known to make it 5 minutes before I get in it. My struggle is on the days I work, if the Prof is still in bed I leave before I get to make them. He then leaves and DOES NOT MAKE THE BED. Sheez.

Also over.

Also liquid. But I have to have a dryer. My clothes washer and dryer...well...I can't imagine living without them. I could do it. And I would get use to it. But they make my life SO much easier. With these dirty little boys there are lots of clothes to be washed.
roger

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 01:09 am
@mismi,
Make the beds, wash dishes, vacuum, dust. Why? Six months later, it's all there to do again, anyway.

I am indebted to Wilso for this bit of wisdom.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 02:38 am
Actually, it is possible to fold fitted sheets. Who in their right mind woiuld fold fitted sheets, though? Put a large box in the bottom of your linen closet, or where ever you keep your bed linen, and then ball up the fitted sheets and throw 'em in. Problem solved.

(My grandmother had us iron our sheets before we folded them and put them away--and yes, each child was responsible for their own ironing, including the bed linen. She ironed the towels and washcloths and dishtowels, though. Be glad you won't work for my grandmother.)

What kind of idiot would sort their flatware before putting it in the dishwasher? What kind of idiot would put it away in the silver ware drawer when the dishwasher is sitting right there? Sheesh . . .

Dust? Vacuum?

You sound like a guy doing housework. Congratulations, you have conquered several important examples of female anal retentiveness.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 02:57 am
@boomerang,
Everything you stated you do, I do also.
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:48 am
@ossobuco,
Right back at you, ossobuco~
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:21 am
@Butrflynet,
Mine is almost like that -- on ours the bottom section is black. It weighs about 10 pounds and it's pretty cumbersome. It vents out the bottom so you can't leave it sitting on the floor -- you have to wear it as a backpack. I crash into stuff a lot. The handle/nozzle/whatever you call it is really long and the whatchamacall it that runs along the floor is really wide. It takes some practice.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:22 am
@boomerang,
I have more sheets etc., but I do vacuum everything.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:27 am
@boomerang,
We have some spare sets of sheets, mostly for guests. We have one set we like on our bed and those usually get washed and then put right back on.

Why would you sort silverware before it goes in the dishwasher or in the dishwasher? Honestly don't get that one. E.G. does the dishes but he never sorts.

I purposely wash many items of clothing inside-out, for various reasons, drives E.G. crazy. (I'm getting more grateful for how much he does while reading these accounts btw. He does dishes whenever I cook, which is most of the time [and vice versa, when he does cook]; we both do laundry, he tends to fold "easy" stuff [towels, his boxers, pairing socks, etc.] and I fold the rest. Well sozlet helps too, combo of easy stuff and her own clothes.) Always check pockets. We have a little box on a shelf over the hamper where the stuff that inevitably is in pockets goes -- house rule is that anything that goes in the hamper should already have empty pockets.

He sweeps, and usually vacuums. I dust, and sometimes vacuum. We need that vacuum.

I iron very, very occasionally. (Last time was a fancy shirt E.G. needed to wear to a shindig that was wrinkly -- maybe 6 months ago?) E.G.'s mom was here at the time (she is The Undisputed Queen of Housework and we went crazy cleaning before she arrived) and E.G. evidently made a few too many jokes about how rarely I iron (she irons everything, all the time). A bit ago she asked if I wanted some tablecloths left to her by her mom, that she didn't need. I said "sure!" (I adore vintage linens). She dithered "aloud" (email) about which ones, decided against sending me one because "it needs to be ironed to look nice." Grrr.....

Toilet paper: over (as per E.G., I never particularly cared before meeting him, 17 years later I'm used to it).

Detergent: liquid.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:35 am
I LOVE that about mixing up the silverware so that it doesn't nest together. That makes a lot of sense!

I make the bed but really it's only because if I don't the dog gets in there and wallows around. He loves to fling the pillows around the room.

Ironing? The biggest fight Mr. B and I ever had was "about" ironing. As far as he knows we don't even own an iron. I don't iron on principle. (We do have an iron because sometimes I sew but that's the only time I iron.)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:54 am
My husband, God bless him, was the person who gave me the courage to put the toilet paper on the spindle in the proper way.

Which is of course, UNDER!!!!

Prior to that, I submitted to popular opinion, not even having the courage to turn the roll around when I lived alone.

Toilet.....paper.....rolls.....go.....UNDER!!!!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:59 am
Hmm.

We are lousy housekeepers as George and Thomas can attest. But we do get in a really good cleaning for parental visits.

I dust, then RP vacuums (to catch what's dropped). I also do the kitchens and bathrooms. We both do the laundry but RP does it more often. Inside or right side out? Eh, it is what it is. But it is restored to right-side-outedness when it's folded and put away. We will put each other's clothes away or rather I will. RP will fold but leave them on top of my dresser. Helfino why. Closets are tiny so I have two -- the one outside our bedroom is for out of season clothes and, these days, for clothes I don't fit into yet.

RP makes the bed, I am lukewarm on that. We have two sets of sheets and alternate them but the pillowcases are changed more frequently. We have a King-sized bed so everything takes forever to dry. Hence we need a second set of sheets because we are not going to be waiting around for sheets to get dry as we need to put the blankets back. Hmm maybe we'll buy more blankets. The current ones are getting kinda shvacht*.

We use the dishwasher and rinse everything before it goes in. We apparently do such a good job of rinsing that, more than once, my mother has thought the dirty dishes were actually clean. We now have a sign (flip it to show clean or dirty). As for sorting silverware, the only things we separate out are knives (because they fit best along one end of the basket - blade side down for safety's sake) and larger serving pieces like the ladle. It isn't just some big basket; there are slots for the silverware, so the serving pieces can't fit in there and need to go into a little satellite basket. Hence the sorting; otherwise we would not do it. We make an effort to assure that the silver does not nest.

Oh and it's under. Yeah, under. Anyone wanna make something of it???

*Worn, threadbare, tattered.
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:45 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Oh and it's under. Yeah, under. Anyone wanna make something of it???

Hey, I don't care what anybody does in the privacy of their own home, but I've had people come to MY house and CHANGE the direction. Seriously. The Nerve!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 09:02 am
While reading all this I feel half as bad. I have a mother who irons everything
including underwear. She's the original Mrs. Cleaver!
I do iron as I have tons of cotton/linen things that need to, I also iron the
pillow cases as it makes them softer (I know, just my imagination but I do it anyways).
Detergent: for some reason I always think powder is better, plus my machine
doesn't allow liquid.

Beds are made every day by everyone in the family, even the dog fluffs (scratches) up her little bed.
roger

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 11:20 am
@CalamityJane,
Who cares if it's imagination, or not. To me, a bath towel is not clean if it is damp. So, it gets hung outside daily. Unless it's raining.
0 Replies