Gay Marriage in Maine: 86 Yr Old WW2 Vet Chimes In

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:55 pm

Philip wrote:
The woman at my polling place asked me do I believe in equality for gay and lesbian people. I was pretty surprised to be asked a question like that. It made no sense to me. Finally I asked her: what do you think I fought for in Omaha Beach?

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,044 • Replies: 1
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:50 pm
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO " Stunned and angry, national gay rights leaders Wednesday blamed scare-mongering ads " and President Barack Obama's lack of engagement " for a bitter election setback in Maine that could alter the dynamics for both sides in the gay-marriage debate.

Conservatives, in contrast, celebrated Maine voters' rejection of a law that would have allowed gay couples to wed, depicting it as a warning shot that should deter politicians in other states from pushing for same-sex marriage.

"Every time the citizens have voted on marriage, they have always sided with natural marriage," said Mathew Staver, founder of Liberty Counsel, a Florida-based Christian legal group. "Maine dramatically illustrates the will of the people, and politicians should wake up and listen."

Gay activists were frustrated that Obama, who insists he staunchly supports their overall civil rights agenda, didn't speak out forcefully in defense of Maine's marriage law before Tuesday's referendum. The law was repealed in a vote of 53 percent to 47 percent.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20091104/US.Gay.Marriage.What.Now/

Gay Marriage has NEVER been approved by the people, and now when it loses yet again it is Obama's fault? Obama has a lot to answer for, but not this, the gay rights crowd lost because they have never successfully convinced the people to form a majority around what they want. Obama is not even very popular anymore, so even if he was yelling at the top of his lungs it would not have moved this cause very much. He talks good, but once the people start to feel like he is a windbag he gets ignored just like the rest of us can be.
0 Replies